Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advancing Weak 2s with transfers

#1 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-01, 23:09

A couple of years ago I came up with the idea of using Transfers to advances 2H/2S openings in an uncontested auction.
My preferred 2H opening shows both majors so i'll consider just the natural 2S opening for now.

After an opening 2S bid (which can be a 5c suit, especially when NV), the options I wanted responder to have were:

1) Stop in 3C/3D/3H.
2) Explore slam with C/D/H and big 2-suiters.
3) Invite in Spades.
4) Shortage ask confirming Spades.
5) Suit quality ask in Spades, for choice of game or slam investigation.

The basic structure I came up with was:

2NT = Clubs or Shortage Ask or General Invite.
3C = Diamonds.
3D = Hearts.
3H = Trump Length/Quality asking bid.
3S = Preemptive.

After 2S - 2NT/3C/3D opener always accepts the transfer which can then be passed.

2S 2NT
3C 3D is an artificial shortage ask.

2S 2NT
3C 3S is a general game invite.

2S 2NT
3C 3NT shows a mild slam try with long clubs.

Other continuations are natural(ish) and forcing.

The system works similarly after transferring to a red suit although I'm not sure about the best meaning for

2S 3C 3D 3S or 2S 3D 3H 3S.

After 2S 3H* (* suit quality asking bid) the response structure I came up with is:

3S = 5c suit. (then 3NT = to play)
3NT = Strong 5c suit (perhaps KQJxx or better)
4C-4S = best to worst 6c suits.

Does anyone already use this method (or something similar)?

Any comments or improvements would be much appreciated!

WesC

#2 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-02, 00:02

I like the idea, but I'm a bit concerned about letting the weak hand declare when we are strong. Perhaps something like this, where the transfers are more like puppets?

2S--2NT; 3C---
Pass = Long clubs
3D = Shortage ask
3H = GF with hearts
3S = INV
3N = Mild slam try with 2 spades

2S--3C; 3D---
Pass = Long diamonds
3H = INV with long hearts
3S = Slam try in spades with clubs as a possible source of tricks
3N = Mild slam try with long clubs

2S--3D; 3H---
Pass = Long hearts
3S = Slam try in spades with diamonds as a possible source of tricks
3N = Mild slam try with long diamonds
4C = At least 5-5 minors, slam try

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-02, 00:23

View PostKungsgeten, on 2014-September-02, 00:02, said:

I like the idea, but I'm a bit concerned about letting the weak hand declare when we are strong.

I think that you are so short of bidding space just to find the right strain and level after a weak 2 opener that it would be mistake to prioritise placing the declaration as part of the system design (possibly contingent on how disciplined is your definition of weak 2).
Possible exception is playing in 3N after opener shows a shortage. That you would almost always want to be played by responder.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-September-02, 00:43

Not a good idea, Wesly. Do you really want to put the strong hand down as a dummy?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   mattias 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-02, 01:25

I've briefly played step 1 as shortness ask, steps 2 to 4 as transfers and raise as preemptive. Over the transfer opener accepts with shortness or xx, with Ax/Kx/Qx they bid lowest new suit below 3 nt or 3 nt if no new suit is available. Higher new suits show shortness and support, and rebidding opener's suit shows a semisolid or solid suit. Things are slightly different after a transfer with step 4, the suit under opener's suit. I liked it but dropped it because of memory strain. Can give some more details if anyone's interested and when I'm not on my iPad.

#6 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-02, 01:46

Some amount of wrong-siding is an unavoidable side effect of the method. No arguments about that.

But when considering how much the wrong-siding actually costs, its important to remember just infrequent strong minor hands are. On the other hand, always having responder play NT is a major issue well worth considering.

Strong hands with hearts are a more common and Kungsgeten's ideas could certainly be valuable dealing with them. However, not having an anchor suit for the transfer does reduce responder's ability to compete in a competitive auction.

I've had significant success with auctions like:
2S (P) 3C* (3H)
3S*(4H) 5D

Where 5D was an excellent save, but generally missed by people who opened 2S.

WesC

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-September-02, 04:08

View PostWesleyC, on 2014-September-01, 23:09, said:

A. A couple of years ago I came up with the idea of using Transfers to advances 2H/2S openings in an uncontested auction. (...) Does anyone already use this method (or something similar)?

B. After an opening 2S bid (which can be a 5c suit, especially when NV), the options I wanted responder to have were:
1) Stop in 3C/3D/3H.
2) Explore slam with C/D/H and big 2-suiters.
3) Invite in Spades.
4) Shortage ask confirming Spades.
5) Suit quality ask in Spades, for choice of game or slam investigation.

A. Yes, me. I devised a transfer response scheme after weak 2s. (By the way, it's "responses", not "advances". Advances refers to responses to overcalls.) My scheme applied after any weak 2, clubs included. It was more basic that yours though: responder would transfer with weak/strong 1-suiter or an invite with good side suit (almost never came out). It was ON in competition up to 2NT and OFF by passed hand.

B. Comment on your reasons to play transfers:
(1) You don't need to do this if you play classic style (6+ cards). Those hands just pass 2x. I did need it because we played systemic 5 cards weak twos.
(2) Good reason, but you need clear agreements on how to select a fit afterwards.
(3) Seems similar to my "invite with good side suit". It will be rare.
(4) This is when starts to get messy. If RHO overcalls, you'll be in a quandry.
(5) As above.

It's probably better to take out the shortage/suit quality asks from the scheme. You might lose the club transfer though... (or have to make it at the 4 level).

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-September-02, 04:55

I like something similar, but the idea in short form is that a 3-bid is a relay showing either a weak hand and the suit one up or values with the suit actually bid. As a simple example, 3C shows either diamonds and weak or clubs with values.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users