• You cannot reply to this topic

Are 3 enough? Are 5 too many?

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-September-01, 19:23

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

So the robot will freely introduce 3 card suits at the 3 level, but when partner makes a take-out double virtually guaranteeing an 8+ card fit, North uses a responsive double instead of making the clearly-called-for jump to 4. This is a very non-standard and, in my opinion, non-productive implementation of the responsive double. Every reference I have been able to find to responsive doubles states that the responsive double in this position denies 4 s, since North would simply bid them if he/she had them. Those same references show examples hands of responsive doubles in this type of auction that would closely resemble North's hand if the s and were reversed.

#2 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-September-05, 06:24

And if 2 Doubler person has one suiter 17+HCP ?

What he should do over 4. Calm pass? Is new suit ( say 5, now cuebid slam-try or natural explanatory hand call ). A slam could be still at the table with singleton A. 4 would very likely be passed out.

Apparently responsive double wasn't supposed to be final contract and with lack of common call 4 could follow with balanced hand and 4 would be still reached.

#3 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-05, 08:12

I believe that the approach you're describing complicates what should be a straightforward (and commonly-occuring) auction out of concern for a situation that is much less common and can be easily handled in other ways. Because the auction started with a weak 2 bid, South (at least in standard American practice) has available a whole range of bids to show good to very good hands, including a strong jump overcall to show the big single-suiter lacking support. It should not be necessary to double with the hand you seem concerned about. And when North makes a responsive double with 5 s and South bids 4 as many did here, how does North know whether that's the strong 1-suiter in or a hand that was just expecting North to have 4+ s for its responsive double, as is standard practice? Or does South bid 5 with that hand?

When playing with an unfamiliar partner (the definition of an individual) straight-forward bidding is best in my opinion. A responsive double with 5 s when partner doubled 2 for take-out is not straight-forward and, in my opinion, invites partner to make a mistake.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-September-05, 09:49

View Postuva72uva72, on 2014-September-01, 19:23, said:

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

View Postuva72uva72, on 2014-September-05, 08:12, said:

When playing with an unfamiliar partner (the definition of an individual) straight-forward bidding is best in my opinion...

Without at all intending to comment on the responsive double made above...

You are grossly misusing the term "Individual". Yes, BBO lists Robot Duplicates as "Individuals" to indicate that you register as a single player, not as a pair. BBO could perfectly well list these as pairs events, and require you to check the "my partner is a robot" box when you register.

In a true Individual, you get a new partner every few boards (or sometimes even every board) and you often know little or nothing about anyone at the table. In those events, there is no time to make detailed agreements, so then it is true that "straight-forward bidding is best". In Robot Duplicates, your partner is known to be a Robot, and you are expected to have a reasonable understanding of your partnership agreements.

#5 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-05, 10:27

Okay, I'll accept your criticism that I'm grossly misusing the term "individual." However, when I play with a human, even one that I've never played with before, I can say "please don't introduce 3 card suits at high levels" and "please lead your Aces when you are defending 7NT" and "please don't make responsive doubles with 5 cards in the unbid major," and we can come to some kind of agreement. Actually, playing with every bridge player I've ever encountered I wouldn't have to say anything because none of these would be an issue. So, please change my post to say "when playing with a partner with whom I can't have a conversation, straight-forward bidding is best in my opinion."

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-September-05, 10:54

Georgi: What are the requirements for North to bid 3 over 3?

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-September-05, 13:01

I think that it is interesting to note that while there is a sound case for weak jump overcalls over a 1-suit opener, there is no such case over a weak 2 opener. Probably, therefore, a strong single-suiter should be excluded from the initial double of a weak-2 (but not over a 1-suit opener).

I may be wrong if stuff like leaping Michaels were in play, but I am sure it is not (and do not recommend that GIB adopt it).

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-September-05, 14:21

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-September-05, 10:54, said:

Georgi: What are the requirements for North to bid 3 over 3?

4+, 10-13TP.

Here it looks like both calls could be used.

Priority ( and respectively book ) bid leans toward Double as long it covers responsive double as well.

#9 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-05, 14:35

I think double should definitely deny 5+ spades. With 4 exactly, I think it's OK to double but there's differences of opinion here.

3 IMO should not be 10-13 TP, should be weaker range IMO. Maybe 9-11 TP?

#10 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-07, 15:03

Respectfulness aside, I think you are 100% wrong Georgi. There is an excellent case, already presented in this thread, that the responsive double deny FOUR spades. Using that double with a FIVE card Spade holding is flat out incorrect. I would love to see this "book" that says otherwise.
\

#11 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-September-07, 15:35

I'm sure there are many sources that could be quoted, but I'll start with one:
http://www.larryco.c...px?articleID=28

Larry Cohen said:

... this "responsive" double shows "cards" but no convenient bid... Generally, a responsive doubler won't hold 4 cards in the (lone) unbid major. With the missing major, it is usually best to simply bid the suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users