• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Observation

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-August-31, 13:07

What the heck is it with BBO'ers constantly opening 1NT on 18 counts?

can understand downgrading sometimes, but a lot will open 1N on any 18 and i'm not prepared for it with my random 7 count!!

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-31, 13:16

a long time ago, in a century far away, 1NT used to be 16-18

you're probably playing an alien from that land

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-31, 17:31

a lot of them open 1nt on 19 and 20 too. they just don't understand the NT ladder.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-August-31, 17:33

If you play in the WP club you will see 16-18 as a range quite a lot. In the MBC they might hold anything for any call at any time.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#5 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-September-01, 23:12

Some people around here play 15-18 in face to face bridge for reasons that I do not understand.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-September-02, 09:48

View PostCthulhu D, on 2014-September-01, 23:12, said:

Some people around here play 15-18 in face to face bridge for reasons that I do not understand.

They used to play 16-18, someone suggested they "modernize" to 15-17, and I guess they compromised.

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-02, 12:54

Because invitations are easier to accept or reject based on 15-16 vs 17-18. Dorothy Truscott endorsed this once upon a time.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-September-02, 15:19

When I play in robot tourneys I open a lot of 14-18 counts 1N. The fringe hands where partner makes an invitational raise opposite 14, or where partner passes opposite 18 and we miss a good game, seem to be sufficiently infrequent in comparison with other benefits that it seems to pay off, although I confess that I have not been keeping a tally. Not saying that this policy translates well into the real world.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-September-02, 16:38

Years ago, we opened 1N on balanced hands ranging from a good 15 to a poor 18 Milton Work Points, depending on non HCP considerations (like shape and texture). And that is how we declared and explained our understanding :) Nowadays, I suppose those playing such methods would explain them as 16-17 HCP or some other fiction, expecting opponents to read between the lines and so allow for the possibility of so-called "upgrades" and "downgrades" :(

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-September-03, 11:45

or "good 15 to flat 18" which we commonly hear here (admittedly, more often as "good 14 to flat 17"). If people want to know how *you* define a "good" hand, they can ask (People certainly asked fairly frequently when we announced "good 11-14", to which the answer was "A, A, K, or supporting honours in long suits.")
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-September-03, 12:31

My partner and I play Mexican 2, which we explain as 18 to bad 20. When asked what a "bad 20" is, I say that it essentially means we practically never open 2NT with a 19 count.

Last night partner opened 2, and he played in my major after a Texas transfer. When we opened the traveler I was surprised to see that most other pairs were playing it from his side as well, since Mexican usually changes who plays these contracts. I asked him if he had a hand that other players might have upgraded to 2NT, and he said yes. After the game, when I went out with other players to the pub to discuss the hands, I saw from the hand record that he had a 21 count. :)

In case you're curious, his hand was AKQ KJ KJT A7532.

#12 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-03, 18:56

There are three or four different versions of "Mexican 2" floating around, all of which, if I'm not mistaken, were played as part of Romex at one time or another. The current version, based on Rosenkranz's latest book, Godfrey's Angels, published in the early to mid 2000s, is "21-22 balanced, or a GF with primary diamonds". The responses are somewhat complicated, but the structure is based on the assumption that opener has the balanced hand, which he will some 85% of the time.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-September-04, 03:27

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-September-03, 18:56, said:

There are three or four different versions of "Mexican 2" floating around, all of which, if I'm not mistaken, were played as part of Romex at one time or another.

Is the version the Italians play identical to a Romex form? I had thought they had modified the responses a little.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#14 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-04, 16:42

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-September-04, 03:27, said:

Is the version the Italians play identical to a Romex form? I had thought they had modified the responses a little.

I don't think so, but I'm not all that familiar with the Italian version.

It is interesting to note that the last four books Rosenkranz has written (all with Phillip Alder) have four different versions of the convention, the differences being mostly, but not all, in the responses. The difference in the bid itself is that the strong 4441 hands which were originally included were moved to other bids in the third book, and dropped entirely in the fourth.

On Romex and the GCC: to the best of my recollection, everything in Bid to Win, Play for Pleasure and Godfrey's Bridge Challenge is GCC legal with the exception of the 4NT opening bid, which is Mid-Chart. It's a pretty rare bid, and could easily be dropped for GCC events. Godfrey's Stairway to the Stars adds two new Mid-Chart openings: 2NT showing a weak preempt in either minor (again, not absolutely essential to the system) and 2 showing a Precision 2 opening (when playing the Romex Forcing Club (RFC) introduced in this book). The purpose of this one is to allow the system to keep the Mexican 2 opening when playing RFC, so it kind of kills the "two card" approach in GCC events. The fourth book (Godfrey's Angels) mostly adds some bits and pieces, all of which are, to my recollection, GCC legal. I haven't checked the system against other regulatory structures, although it's mentioned in "Stairway" that the 2NT is brown sticker under WBF rules.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users