Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new bbo stinks can't get older program

#1 User is offline   laboche 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-August-30, 13:22

the new bbo is terrible with a lot less options and more difficult than the old version. when I log on the new site won't allow a download of the older version. I think the second law of thermodynamics is working here; socalled improvements are worse.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-30, 13:49

View Postlaboche, on 2014-August-30, 13:22, said:

the new bbo is terrible with a lot less options and more difficult than the old version. when I log on the new site won't allow a download of the older version. I think the second law of thermodynamics is working here; socalled improvements are worse.

Hi laboche.

Welcome to the forums.

I assume that we are talking about a comparison between the Windows client program ("old version") and the Flash-based web application ("new version")? There are additional versions for mobile devices (Android and iOS).

Sorry to hear about your experience. Initially I felt the same way but now prefer the new version.

There are a few features in the old version that are not present in the new (and never will be). There are a lot more features in the new version that were not present in the old (increasing with each upgrade).

Which particular features in the old version that are missing from the new version do you regard as important?

Incidentally, I am curious. How does the fact that heat will not pass from a cooler body to a hotter body bear on the issue?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-30, 17:33

You might want to check out this older thread: http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry769864

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-August-30, 22:09

I dislike the web based version intensely. Why not offer users a choice of client they prefer to use?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-31, 00:50

http://www.bridgebas...ide_for_bbo.php

#6 User is offline   muffy787 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-August-31, 21:20

I still don't know why the cards are auto played and often it results in making the side lose. Explain please.

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-31, 21:42

View Postmuffy787, on 2014-August-31, 21:20, said:

I still don't know why the cards are auto played and often it results in making the side lose. Explain please.
There should be only two situations in which cards are auto-played: (1) a robot is declarer, and (2) you have your options set on "autoplay singletons".

In the first instance, if your partner is a robot and you become dummy, the robot plays your cards for you. If the second instance is the problem (which shouldn't "mak[e] the side lose", you can fix this by:
  • Click on "Options" on the top toolbar
  • Select "More options"
  • Select "Advanced options"
  • uncheck "Autoplay singletons"

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-31, 22:10

Autoplay singletons are unchecked by default. The user would have had to change that setting manually and deliberately.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users