• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Flat as a Pancake

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-30, 09:46

Results in both rooms 5CX+2 EW +1150.

It is a bit of a collector's item when there is an almost identical auction in both rooms to -1150, but such was the case this afternoon in the Greek Islands Festival. Paske and Dodd were NS against Albatala and Setra in one room, and Haddad and Stamatov were NS against Hydes and Hackett in the other. Par on the board is 5SX-1, and the law suggests total tricks will be 20, whereas it is 21 because of the double fit. Paske bid 4C at his first turn, and I think that might have persuaded South to bid 5S, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. What do you think? And do you think either South should have led a heart to gain on the board?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-30, 12:46

Very dangerous for North to double... South's would-be diamond honor can be finessed, and there's no reason to expect trump tricks. Or more than 1 spade trick, for that matter. And on top of that, pard passed 5, so he's probably minimum. I would either pass or bid 5.

Leading a spade seems canonical.

#3 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-30, 12:50

I would splinter as North then pass it out. I strongly believe a splinter in this kind of auction should not set up a force. On the hand where North just blasted, the final double is crackers.

You don't need to change the hand by much for 5 to be going for 500 and it also to be a phantom - just make West 2155, for instance. But they are rarely going two off.

I may be resulting, but a heart seems right on the splinter/double auction and probably a spade on the other. The point is that the splinter auction shows a decent hand for offence, and South can tell that does not mean good spades.

#4 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-31, 11:08

I'm not sure what planet the doublers are on. Zero minor suit tricks? Check. 1 trump? Check. Even 4 little diamonds is like negative tricks, whatever the suit is it's onside or ruffing out. But hey, we got dat ace of hearts! Surely everything will cash and partner will have 3 tricks and we'll beat it two, no problem, what could go wrong?

I think leading a high spade is normal. There is no reason to suspect a spade void, and there is reason to suspect partner has at least one minor suit trick, I mean he doubled. The most likely thing to go away is the spades on the hearts given the double. If partner has a minor suit trick or two, the hearts are not going to go away anywhere. Yeah if partner has doubled with zero minor suit tricks and a stiff trump then I guess the hearts go away on the diamonds, unlucky!
The artist formerly known as jlall

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users