BBO Discussion Forums: show minor fit or look for major? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

show minor fit or look for major?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-29, 13:35

What is your preferred call as North (over 2D)? 3C (per GIB) or X?

3C worked out OK, but I worry.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 22:25

Did you check that X is responsive here? Some GIB doubles are surprisingly penalty-oriented.
(IOW, are you asking that they change the system or the rules DB?)

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 22:55

Other than mousing over alternatives in mid auction I am not skilful at finding detail of GIB system. And mousing over alternatives is not an option for seats other than my own.

I am not aware of a complete database of bidding rules being available to the public. Some abridged system notes are available here:

https://www.bridgeba...ystem_notes.php

from which I quote

"Negative X and Responsive X up to 3♠, Support X up to 2♥ (GIB may do support X with Kx)."

I took this to mean that X would be responsive in my auction but I confess to doubts now.

I am open to persuasion that we bid it the best way. In real life I think I would have X'd as North. But there is a case for giving immediate Club support if it does not deny this hand. You are better placed if there is no Major fit, while as this hand shows there may remain scope for finding an existing major fit, if South is strong enough (for game).

PS only just re-read the above quote. Not keen on support X with Kx. GIB is prone to rebidding a 4 card suit opposite such a double.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-30, 17:36

I would certainly double, and I don't think it's close. I also agree that they should drop this idea of support doubles with Kx. There are many times when responder has no choice but to retreat to the 4-3 fit.

#5 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-September-01, 15:14

At the moment GIB uses Responsive double only with 2- cards in partner's suit.

Obviously when both suits shown from partner and opponents are minors Responsive double would be profitable to be 3- and 4-4 Majors to pop-up.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users