A sound opener would pass that hand.

#22 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-August-28, 23:19

Nah.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#23 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 02:52

Posted Image

#24 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 04:31

View Postgwnn, on 2014-August-28, 05:29, said:

Partner had

K97
J85
AJ97
K84

and passed my x. Unfortunately declarer had

QJT8532
AT76
-
T5 (giving dummy x Qx xxxxx AQJxx - sorry, I'm posting from my phone)

and easily wrapped up 730. My partner thought my x was insane and I whined diplomatically remarked "RHO bid like a joke, what can I do?" RHO disagreed with this assessment but was happy with his score so didn't mind too much.

Obviously there is no such thing than RHOs bidding from reasonable opponents.
But how can you claim RHO bidding is a joke, when you fell into the trap intended, even though you knew opponents were "reasonable" ?
Was that really unfortunate?

Rainer Herrmann

#25 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 06:18

View Postrhm, on 2014-August-29, 04:31, said:

Obviously there is no such thing than RHOs bidding from reasonable opponents.
But how can you claim RHO bidding is a joke, when you fell into the trap intended, even though you knew opponents were "reasonable" ?
Was that really unfortunate?

Rainer Herrmann

Come on, the answers here were pretty unanimous: Double is obvious. When the full deal is shown, you come and say that Gwnn had it coming. A typical case of ROTI (Resulting on the Internet).

The description of the opponent's bidding:
RHO used an anti-percentage tactic passing initially. LHO made a horrible overcall. RHO made a second anti-percentage bid. His final 3 bid could be construed as smart (but I guess it was simply lucky). I would not expect "reasonable" opponents to be this... er ... let's call it ... "imaginative".

So, yes, Gwnn was unfortunate. In fact, he was very unfortunate because after his misfortune on this hand, his partner compounded the crime by blaming Gwnn for it. Apart from the misery this created it also means that the next time when a similar auction comes up and his partner holds Gwnn's hand, his partner has committed himself to passing instead of doubling. This means that this next time Gwnn can count on a bottom for 3-1 (+100) when the field plays 3 making, where Gwnn sh/c/would get a top for 3X-1 (+200) if his partner would be a little more flexible and simply accept that $-!t happens at the bridge table.

Gwnn's partner should have smiled at Gwnn and give him a meaningful wink of an eye: "The next 7 boards against these guys are going to be ours!".

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#26 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 07:07

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-August-29, 06:18, said:

Come on, the answers here were pretty unanimous: Double is obvious. When the full deal is shown, you come and say that Gwnn had it coming. A typical case of ROTI (Resulting on the Internet).

The description of the opponent's bidding:
RHO used an anti-percentage tactic passing initially. LHO made a horrible overcall. RHO made a second anti-percentage bid. His final 3 bid could be construed as smart (but I guess it was simply lucky). I would not expect "reasonable" opponents to be this... er ... let's call it ... "imaginative".

So, yes, Gwnn was unfortunate. In fact, he was very unfortunate because after his misfortune on this hand, his partner compounded the crime by blaming Gwnn for it. Apart from the misery this created it also means that the next time when a similar auction comes up and his partner holds Gwnn's hand, his partner has committed himself to passing instead of doubling. This means that this next time Gwnn can count on a bottom for 3-1 (+100) when the field plays 3 making, where Gwnn sh/c/would get a top for 3X-1 (+200) if his partner would be a little more flexible and simply accept that $-!t happens at the bridge table.

Gwnn's partner should have smiled at Gwnn and give him a meaningful wink of an eye: "The next 7 boards against these guys are going to be ours!".

Rik

Sorry I wanted to give my answer (3NT) when I saw the deal was already given. I have no need to argue with hindsight.
If you think DBL is the obvious answer this tactic (walking the dog) should be employed much more often.
I doubt that many true experts would double.
A reasonable vulnerable opponent does not bid 3 in such a manner without expecting to make it.
The previous bidding was if anything not conducive to compete further.
In fact I expected an eight card spade suit or similar.
What surprise do you have for declarer?

One of the big mistakes made by many is that they double for penalties when they do not know what to do.
Penalty doubles as a default bid when nothing fits is in my experience a very expensive tactic.

I am not saying I could not fall into this trap.
In fact I recently did so.

I held in an individual (unknown partner and opponents on BBO)

My DBL was not as stupid as here because I did not want to encourage a passed partner to bid on and I had reasonable defense.
Nevertheless East bidding was strange.

East bought a very suitable dummy. There was no defense and I felt embarrassed because 5 would have made.

Rainer Herrmann

#27 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-August-29, 07:36

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-August-28, 01:59, said:

I dunno if I had a fifth diamond maybe I would not want to double, it hurts our defensive prospects and helps our offensive prospects. In general I want to have 13 cards before I decide what to do :P

View Postrhm, on 2014-August-29, 07:07, said:

Obviously.
(-: Zel :-)

#28 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 07:46

I don't think RHO was walking the dog. I bet he didn't want to preempt with a side four-card major, and he didn't want to overcall 1 because that would show 8hcp.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#29 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 08:00

View Postcherdano, on 2014-August-29, 07:46, said:

I don't think RHO was walking the dog. I bet he didn't want to preempt with a side four-card major, and he didn't want to overcall 1 because that would show 8hcp.

These arguments apply to a reasonable opponent with 7420 distribution?
Give me a break!
If you believe that you might also believe his 3 bid was intended as a sacrifice against a 3 partial red on white.

Rainer Herrmann

#30 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-29, 08:09

"Dog-walking", i.e. deliberate underbids in competitive situations (pass included), is a considered a lesser art but can be effective. A friend of mine once held, all vuln,

Txx
A
AKQJTxxx
x

RHO friend LHO friend's pd
1 pass(!) 1 pass
3 3NT(!!) dbl (all pass)

Heart came out, as expected, and a split-second later opps were left arguing with each other.

I also held his hand, but overcalled 3NT straight away. Now opps bid 4 and I saved for the obvious -2. A difference of 1150 points :)

#31 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-August-29, 09:19

View Postgwnn, on 2014-August-28, 23:19, said:

Nah.

Yes, not "nah". The hand is trash.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#32 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-August-29, 09:44

Nope.
      George Carlin

#33 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-August-29, 09:47

rhm could you read the threads before you make these ridiculous accusations? In this case you are saying that Justin is not a true expert (and that you do make mistakes but not quite so stupid as he did here), some other times you called Frances Hinden a result merchant and God knows how many more fiascos. You could save a bit of face if you just took a few seconds before sending our your daily insults.
      George Carlin

#34 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 10:50

Sorry I wanted to give my answer (3NT) when I saw the deal was already given. I have no need to argue with hindsight.
If you think DBL is the obvious answer this tactic (walking the dog) should be employed much more often.

RHO wasn't walking the dog. He was just bidding silly. (And LHO was bidding even sillier.)

Perhaps that says more about you than about the double...

So, your choice was to bid 3NT.

Suppose that you can make 3NT with two balanced hands facing each other, what do you expect will happen to 3X?
Suppose that you think 3X will make (that's what you seem to claim you were thinking), what chance do you think you have in 3NT?

The tricky part of the actual layout is that with 24 HCPs and an eight card fit (4-4), we may not have enough offensive tricks to make 3 (or 2NT), whereas the opponents, with a mere 16 HCPs and an eight card fit (7-1) can easily make 3 (and you need to defend well to hold them to 9 tricks).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#35 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 10:58

View Postrhm, on 2014-August-29, 08:00, said:

These arguments apply to a reasonable opponent with 7420 distribution?
Give me a break!
If you believe that you might also believe his 3 bid was intended as a sacrifice against a 3 partial red on white.

I see bad bidding (and in particular not preempting for strange reasons) more often than I see someone walking the dog.
But I defer to your immensely superior skills at reading these opponents based on Csaba's post.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#36 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 14:46

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-August-29, 10:50, said:

RHO wasn't walking the dog. He was just bidding silly. (And LHO was bidding even sillier.)

When an opponent, defined as reasonable, red versus white initially passes with Q J T 8 5 3 2 A T 7 6 - T 5 and then bids 2 followed by 3, when his partner only overcalled in clubs he is walking the dog.

So, your choice was to bid 3NT.

Suppose that you can make 3NT with two balanced hands facing each other, what do you expect will happen to 3X?
Suppose that you think 3X will make (that's what you seem to claim you were thinking), what chance do you think you have in 3NT?

The tricky part of the actual layout is that with 24 HCPs and an eight card fit (4-4), we may not have enough offensive tricks to make 3 (or 2NT), whereas the opponents, with a mere 16 HCPs and an eight card fit (7-1) can easily make 3 (and you need to defend well to hold them to 9 tricks).

Rik

If you would only analyze the bidding you might realize that RHO is begging for a double. Once you accept this premise DBL and Pass are out.
I rarely like to do voluntarily what opponents want me to do
It does not follow if they can make 3 that we can not make 3NT. In 3NT it is likely that RHO might not be able to establish his spades. He seems to be distributional but not strong in HCP. Anyway there are only 40 HCP in a deal and not so many left for him.

Bidding 3NT in this scenario is a suggestion to partner and the cheapest available bid over 3 once you reject DBL or Pass.

It tells partner

a) you don't want to defend 3
b) We might make 3NT.

Since you bid a non forcing 3 before partner is not obliged to stay in 3NT.

Rainer Herrmann

#37 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 14:59

View Postgwnn, on 2014-August-29, 09:47, said:

rhm could you read the threads before you make these ridiculous accusations?

I accused nobody of anything. Unfortunately it is you, who can not read.

In this case you are saying that Justin is not a true expert (and that you do make mistakes but not quite so stupid as he did here)

rubbish.
I said nothing like that.
What I said was:

Rainer Herrmann

You need not agree with that.
But I never claimed that all experts would reject the double, Neither did I even mention Justin in any way. Whether Justin would double or not is not relevant in this context.

You are the one, who makes false accusations and you do not know how to quote someone correctly.
You prefer to slander instead of arguing your case.

Rainer Herrmann

#38 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-August-29, 16:32

"I doubt that there are many" is a synonym for "there are probably very few." You should learn a bit of English if you are going to tell me I cannot read. You should also look up the use of commas, how to spell "loser," or what the word "unfortunately" means. All that said and done, regardless of where you draw the line between real and imaginary experts, your claim is just false, based on this thread. And yes calling the decision of everyone except you and whereagles stupid makes you look like a buffoon. Your reason is basically that you trust my judgement about my RHO 100% but you consider my bridge judgement in this case to be stupid. I have no qualms with telling me that I'm wrong or that I'm not an expert but you should consider who you are labelling (directly or indirectly or collectively) a fake expert. Come to think of it, last time we had this conversation you said that calling a bid stupid directly implied that the person making it is himself stupid -- I disagree with that but according to your logic (and yes skipping a little red tape of your little wording tricks) we are all stupid and you are a true expert. That's fine but do you see how incredibly obnoxious it can get when you make these posts day in day out and how you appear from our p.o.v.?
      George Carlin

#39 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-August-29, 16:36

And just to be clear, my case is not that double is clear or obvious. I asked the forums to learn what is best and I was happy to see a consensus. My case is that calling BB participants' decisions stupid and comparing it (unfavourably) to yours in some BBO indy makes you look like a troll or worse. Well of course this is getting severely off-topic but I know for a fact that the opening poster does not mind this time.
      George Carlin

#40 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-August-29, 18:21

View Postgwnn, on 2014-August-28, 05:29, said:

and easily wrapped up 730. My partner thought my x was insane and I whined diplomatically remarked "RHO bid like a joke, what can I do?" RHO disagreed with this assessment but was happy with his score so didn't mind too much.

Actually RHO played you like a fiddle.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users