BBO Discussion Forums: Awkward MPs decision - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Awkward MPs decision

Poll: Awkward MPs decision (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Pass (2 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

2. 2C (3 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. 2S (3 votes [6.67%])

4. 1N (34 votes [75.56%])

Percentage of vote: 75.56%

5. 2N (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other (3 votes [6.67%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-25, 13:37

What now?

[ETA] - pick up partnership on BBO, with no agreements on rebid style.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-25, 14:11

Matchpoints? 1NT wtp.

If opener's sequence promises unbalanced or strong, I will reconsider.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-August-25, 14:32

The question is entirely dependent upon Opener's rebid style. For me, for instance, 2 is very appealing, because I would rebid 1NT with 4-3-3-3, thus making 1 purify clubs to at least 4-card. With 4-1-4-4, I would open 1. With 4-2-3-4 or 4-3-2-4, I would usually rebid 1NT unless I had a COV in the black suits, which also argues for pulling out of 1NT. However, this gets a tad tricky at MP, for me. Perhaps 2 on the expected Moysian is better than 2. Sure -- I might have 3-card spades as Opener, which is also a rare problem, but that hand bids again.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-25, 15:41

Is 1S forcing? If yes, I bid 1N. If not I pass with some reservations.

Also relevant is whether opener can bid 1N over 1H even with spades if he is balanced and minimum. If he does, we feel better about passing.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-August-25, 18:39

View PostJinksy, on 2014-August-25, 13:37, said:

What now?
IMO 2 = 10, 3 = 9, 1N = 8, Pass = 7, 2 = 6
2 of a minor is not always a disaster. Partner is likely to have 5+ .
Edited to add the Hog's 3 suggestion.

This post has been edited by nige1: 2014-August-27, 09:05

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-25, 19:27

I really don't understand pass as an option, never would have crossed my mind. I'd bid 1NT and accept invite or cooperate to find a game if partner continues.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-25, 21:09

1nt at any form of scoring. Pass is really a bad call, 1spade is NF to me but it still can be up to a bad 18
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-25, 22:04

1N.

Vulnerable at IMPs with 1 promising 5 and 4, I would consider 2.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-August-25, 22:41

methods count and this hand type is a good advertisement for the style in which 1 promises 9+ black cards....rebidding 1N as opener on all balanced hands.

In standard methods, which are woeful in more ways than this, we have to guess, knowing that it is just a guess. Since 1N MAY not end the auction, and since we do hold 10 hcp, and since it is mps, where 120 may beat 110, we have to bid 1N.

Pass is silly, not because 1 is forcing (such an agreement is, on a deep level, unplayable) but because 1is very wide-range and we own far, far too much to pass.

2 is a good answer on a different hand.....say KQx KJxxx xx Jxx, but the diamond holding seems wrong for that action here.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-August-25, 23:35

If 1S shows an unbalanced hand with the blacks, I bid 3C. This is too good for 2C with 3 great cards.
If you are playing a style where 1S shows a random 13 cards with 4S. I bid 1NT.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#11 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-August-26, 00:40

Unless you are counting the J I don't think this hand has three great cards. KQ are great; KJ are dubious and J is better than it started out life but I wouldnt call it great.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-26, 01:16

2 assuming that p promised four of them. Otherwise 2 assuming this is discussed. Pass with
some of the lols at the club who would have jumped with 16 points. Otherwise 1nt, trying to put up a happy face to inhibit the diamond lead. And then discuss the methods after the session
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-26, 03:12

Just edited the OP, but to clarify for those who've already commented, this was a pickup partnership on BBO, with no discussion about rebid style (although P was from the US).
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#14 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2014-August-26, 04:00

Even neglecting the CJ there are 9 hcp and hence playing any system pass is ruled out.A bid of 1NT is the correct bid telling partner a hand of 8 to bad 10 hcp and a balanced one at that.It does not promise a diamond guard.If partner has an unbalanced hand he will surely bid again.And after all with a balanced hand don't we all like to play in NT at matchpoints.!

#15 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-August-26, 04:20

View Postmsjennifer, on 2014-August-26, 04:00, said:

Even neglecting the CJ there are 9 hcp and hence playing any system pass is ruled out.A bid of 1NT is the correct bid telling partner a hand of 8 to bad 10 hcp and a balanced one at that.It does not promise a diamond guard.If partner has an unbalanced hand he will surely bid again.And after all with a balanced hand don't we all like to play in NT at matchpoints.!

But, this is the mirror image of why 2C is appealing. If Opener can rely on a 2C bid with this hand, he will not feel required to bid simply because he's unbalanced, which many styles already promised, and will not therefore bid 2C when a massive misfit is more likely.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-26, 04:23

View Postmsjennifer, on 2014-August-26, 04:00, said:

If partner has an unbalanced hand he will surely bid again.

I don't think he will bid again with Axxx-x-Axx-KQxxx. But OK, with that hand 1NT will be good contract.

With AJxx-Qxx-K-Kxxxx I suppose some would bid 2, especially if playing strictly 4-cards up the line so that he knows that we can't have four diamonds unless we have 5+ hearts. But many would say that 2 would show extra values so that he has to pass 1NT.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   tobycurtis 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge & badminton

Posted 2014-August-26, 07:53

I had no idea there were so many people who bypass a 4-card spade suit rebid on balanced hands. Are there methods built in for finding 4-4 spade fits after a start of 1/ - 1; 1NT - ?

Even if 1 isn't 100% forcing, I wouldn't dream of passing with this almost-invitational hand. I don't know that partner has more clubs than spades, so I'm not gambling on 2/3 at matchpoints. I guess 1NT isn't so bad, but if partner does keep the auction alive, I don't want to be the one who has hinted at a diamond stopper, and I don't particularly want to be the declarer either. So I bid 2.

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-August-26, 08:21

View Posttobycurtis, on 2014-August-26, 07:53, said:

I had no idea there were so many people who bypass a 4-card spade suit rebid on balanced hands. Are there methods built in for finding 4-4 spade fits after a start of 1/ - 1; 1NT - ?

no...none of the experts who bypass spades here have any interest in playing a 4=4 major suit fit.

Ok....that was silly. Of course we do. There is one problem tho: the method of finding the 4=4 fit works only when responder has invitational or better values. We will play 1N on a 4=4 spade fit when opener has a weak 1N and responder less than invitational values. Sounds like the same 'problem' that weak 1N players have every time they open 1N, yet strangely they seem to 'get away with it', in that a very large number of players around the world (tho not as many in NA) play a weak notrump method.

In the meantime, we avoid problems like this one, and gain a lot on good hands as well (because responder knows at the 1-level whether opener is balanced or unbalanced, and this can be very useful.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#19 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-26, 09:33

View Posttobycurtis, on 2014-August-26, 07:53, said:

Yes - New Minor Forcing or Checkback Stayman or more sophisticated versions of either work well for this purpose.

The only problem, as already pointed out, is that these require an invitational or better hand.

#20 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-26, 14:44

View Postmikeh, on 2014-August-25, 22:41, said:

Pass is silly, not because 1 is forcing (such an agreement is, on a deep level, unplayable)

Uh, could you explain to me the deep reasons why playing 1 forcing opposite a normal say 6+ or 5+ minimum is unplayable?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users