• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High level sac v partscore

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-25, 07:58

MP, best hand south, instant, pro gib 30

Trusting that my having a point to spare for the 1N opener does not qualify this as a "joke" post, I am interested to know whether you think it can ever be right, at any vul or any form of scoring, to sacrifice at the 4 level with a 3-3-4-3 shape and 4 HCP opposite a 1N opener.

Which, incidentally, netted 60.7% but only because opps forgot to double.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-August-25, 09:40

I won't say "ever," but very rarely would be accurate. And I would not make the bid in the hopes that this was one of those rare instances.

You could have done a trick better in the play as it turns out, but that is a quibble.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-25, 10:00

View PostArtK78, on 2014-August-25, 09:40, said:

You may have been able to do a trick better in the play as it turns out (depending on the defense), but that is a quibble.

At D/D, there is no point at which I am on play where I have an option to go fewer than 3 down, and no point at which defence are on play where they have an option to take it more than 3 down. Possibly at single dummy (or if I alone was playing double dummy) I could have given them a losing option, but interested to know what you have in mind.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-August-25, 13:04

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-August-25, 10:00, said:

At D/D, there is no point at which I am on play where I have an option to go fewer than 3 down, and no point at which defence are on play where they have an option to take it more than 3 down. Possibly at single dummy (or if I alone was playing double dummy) I could have given them a losing option, but interested to know what you have in mind.

When you played the trump A and saw the 10 appear on your left, you could have played that to be a singleton. Now, drive out the top diamonds as you did, unblocking from hand. The defense may be able to score a heart ruff - but if they do not, you can pick up the trump suit for one loser. In any event, you are no worse off.

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-26, 10:17

The description of 3 is also suspect: I'd want it to show 5, not 5-, which also eliminates the possibility of having 5 in any other suit.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-26, 10:41

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-August-26, 10:17, said:

The description of 3 is also suspect: I'd want it to show 5, not 5-, which also eliminates the possibility of having 5 in any other suit.

Heh, heh. I shall refrain ...

#7 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-August-27, 14:48

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-August-26, 10:17, said:

That would be improved in v31.

So when 1NT person is bidding own suit in similar auction ( partner is silent ) it will say 5cards and not 5-.

Also aside suits would be reduced to some balanced length instead of 2-5 elsewhere.

I.e. 3 here would show : -- 5 ; 2-3 ; 2-4 ; 2-4 ; 17 HCP; 18- total points

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users