BBO Discussion Forums: Nothing sweet about me, yeah - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nothing sweet about me, yeah If there's lessons to be learned, ...

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-25, 03:50

...the world's a better place when it's upside down

OK, so my two doubles were absurd. I had blanked out the fact that they were GF. Might as well wait until they reach game.

But the lesson to be learned here, I think, is for West to respond 1N, not 1S.
Alternatively, if West rates his hand to be worth GF (via 2D 4th suit) then it should respond 2D at first go.

One South did wait until they reached 3N, then doubled, and West pulled it not to 4D as any sensible robot would do, but to 4H.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-25, 06:17

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-August-25, 03:50, said:

Alternatively, if West rates his hand to be worth GF (via 2D 4th suit) then it should respond 2D at first go.

I think this is the primary point; either West has a gf or he doesn't; he should decide and bid accordingly.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-25, 06:45

It is possible for a hand to become worth GF which was not initially. But opener's 2C rebid certainly does not qualify to justify that adjustment.

I can see a case for GF 2D initial response on this hand. It is rather on the light side, but it is not hard to construct hands where it would work well. But if so, it is also possible to weaken West by such an extent at which that argument fails and the hand falls short of GF by any reasonable yardstick. And then I maintain that 1N is the right response.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users