BBO Discussion Forums: GIB passes a forcing bid strangely - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB passes a forcing bid strangely

#1 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-August-24, 15:05

http://tinyurl.com/krxks74
Become yourself.

#2 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-24, 19:22

I think this should be a bug.

#3 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-25, 04:48

View Postlycier, on 2014-August-24, 19:22, said:

I think this should be a bug.

Also a bug that it bids 2when its a clear 2NT 11-14 bid showing an ACOL 1NT then you can simply bid 3NT though its possible to be a slam hand.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-25, 04:52

View Postcloa513, on 2014-August-25, 04:48, said:

Also a bug that it bids 2when its a clear 2NT 11-14 bid showing an ACOL 1NT then you can simply bid 3NT though its possible to be a slam hand.
Your point in respect of the actual hand is valid, but as I understand it a 2N rebid after an inverted minor raise shows specifically a MINIMUM weak NT opener. This hand certainly is that, but the point being that it is non-forcing, and 11-14 is too wide a range to let responder make the decision whether or not to pass. See this other recent thread:
http://www.bridgebas...post__p__808219

You get the same phenomenon after uncontested 1D-2C-??. Again 2N shows a MIN weak 1N:

http://www.bridgebas...post__p__805684

As regards the OP, absolutely it is a bug. No way it should ever pass below 2N
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-25, 06:57

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-August-25, 04:52, said:

as I understand it a 2N rebid after an inverted minor raise shows specifically a MINIMUM weak NT opener.
I may have to retract this comment, following:

The description assigned by GIB to the 2N rebid in this auction confirms your understanding of 11-14. Not that we can place much reliance on the printed explanations these days, but this North IS a 13 count albeit a pretty crappy one.

This part of the system is completely unplayable. If 2N rebid is to be non-forcing, which clearly GIB treats it as such, then it needs to be more narrowly defined. In the meantime, for my part I am only going to rebid 2N with a minimum opener (and by that I mean minimum within 11-14), and when GIB rebids 2N I shall just have to guess if my 2m bid was invitational.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#6 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-August-26, 11:23

Thanks for reporting.

Pass is fixed in v31.

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-26, 11:28

I would welcome more detail about the fix.

For as long as the 2N rebid shows as wide a range as 11-14, I don't understand how there is any possibility to "fix" the pass opposite, other than to impose a GF lower limit on responder's 2m (which incidentally is quite playable I think).

#8 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-August-27, 15:34

Fix was that once there is GF settled by 2M here, GIB with no stopper in 4th unbid suit has to just bid their minor suit.

2NT would show the stopper in unbid suit, 3 minor is just like default rebid when no stopper.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users