• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Totally misread p

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-24, 04:34

MP, best hand south, instant, pro gib 30

My 6C bid may be poorly judged. Maybe I should pass 4H. Maybe I should find some other bid, such as 4S, although who knows where that would end up - we would already be way too high.

But I don't think that North should be bidding 3C. 2N I can live with, but 3C GF? (or should I say WTF?)

My initial instinct was just to bid 3N over 3C - Hamman principle tends to work even better in robot tourneys than in real life.

But I thought, what the heck, if responder has a slam try I am not discouraged. I can temporise with 3D, that promises Club support and denies Heart support. A bit worried that it may make the defence to 3N easier, but well within system so not expecting a major disaster.

When GIB bids 4H I am thinking that he has a 6-4 slam try. He must surely have 6 Hearts, and without a slam try he would not bother to show 4 Clubs on the way.

So, long and short of it is I expected a 6-4 slam try only to find a 5-4 hand not even worth GF. Added to which he has already advertised the Diamond shortage, prior to my suggesting 3N.

Incidentally, perhaps Georgi or someone can clarify, what would be the difference between 3D and 3S (over 3C)? I think that they both promise Club support and doubleton Heart.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-August-24, 09:44

Don't understand Gibs plan on this.. Gib has show it's shape. Knows you have support. Why doesn't it accept your decision to play 3N it has shown shortage in !d and you've said you have it stopped? Its a complete min for it's bidding why bid on? 4 shows twice rebiddable this kindov suit quality isnt helpful in 4, 5 or 6.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-24, 10:00

"Twice rebiddable", per GIB's documention, means 7 hearts or 6 good ones. North isn't close to this description. North has shown specifically 3604 distribution, with at least 7HCP, including either A or QJT, so 6 is not outrageous. There probably should be an upper strength limit on 4.

#4 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-August-26, 07:08

3 and 3 ( the unbid suits ) have same meaning. they both showing 2M cards and 4-5 in minor.

Would be investigated about that 4 leap up. Along the way also for 3minor GF call.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-26, 10:27

georgi, on 2014-August-26, 07:08, said:

3 and 3 ( the unbid suits ) have same meaning. they both showing 2M cards and 4-5 in minor.

Can you say which bid GIB would have made over 3C, if GIB had been sitting South, and also what it would have taken to force it to make the other bid (between 3D and 3S)?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-August-27, 14:18

GIB as South would bid the same you did, 3.

For GIB they are identical and GIB picks the first available.

3 would come in use if North continued with 3 instead, so 3 would be the only one left to show support in minor.

Back to club suit forcing if South has used 3, GIB North would just bid 3NT. That of course doesn't justify the freak-out 4. Book bid is Pass, so GIB moved after second thoughts.

V31 contains a fix about this move out. GIB won't consider any longer 4M run away. The only possible chance if 5m, but it might happen based on some tests in just 5% of cases. So 95% Pass/5% 5m.

Currently in v30, GIB used to run away in about 40% of hands to 4M.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users