Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would you cue 5D?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-24, 01:40

MP, best hand south, Instant, pro GIB 30.

5H is a good sac v 4D, provided that they don't double and find the Spade ruff.

4H makes provided that they don't find the Spade ruff at trick 1 or 2.

In an earlier version of GIB when the original tourney was played, most of the room was in 4H by North, who responded 4H to South's Double. The Spade ruff was not found, and 4H rolled in.

To be fair to my North, I was v. min for my X, and yet 5H had chances. Not great chances, but chances.

So, in upgrading GIB, is it right that North should value the hand as worth pushing to 5?

I really don't know the answer to this. Not a bug report, therefore, just asking for opinion.

Incidentally, I think that failure to find the Spade ruff is a serious misdefence. On the bidding, West should expect a spade to be ruffed. About the only time that it costs is if declarer has AQ tight, and that is not going to be.

As an aside, if South passes 4D, should North bid 4H?

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-24, 02:11

Minor quibble, a spade lead also costs if South changes a spade for one of East's clubs (East becoming endplayed when thrown in with the third club). As for whether North is worth forcing to the 5 level, I think it's close, but would settle for 4H. I don't want to hang partner for making a double under pressure.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-24, 02:24

Out of interest, would you read DK at trick 1 a signal for Spade, or just indicating a sequence? Obv would need to be human.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-24, 08:22

I prefer to play the DJ to signal spades, while the DK would be sequence showing. I prefer the K and Q to show sequences since it helps place the points better, but I'm very rarely going to be jack high in an auction like that.
Wayne Somerville

#5 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-24, 10:01

A similar hand with cuebid 5 for passed player:

According to both of my hand and your hand,we can draw a conclusion:
This cue depends on GCC
- For unpassed hand,cuebid at five level,it shows 11+ total points,merely.
- For passed hand,it shows 3-12 total points.obviously it is unreasonable sometimes --- it let partner guess randomly at a too wide range.

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-August-24, 10:05

Gib has 8 loser hand with clear preference for . Partner is allowed to assume you have about 8 pts when competing over pre-empts. So, no I would not cuebid not even close imo. If I were to make a strong bid (with a better hand but same shape it would be 5.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-24, 11:06

View Postlycier, on 2014-August-24, 10:01, said:

According to both of my hand and your hand,we can draw a conclusion:
This cue depends on GCC
- For unpassed hand,cuebid at five level,it shows 11+ total points,merely.
- For passed hand,it shows 3-12 total points.obviously it is unreasonable sometimes --- it let partner guess randomly at a too wide range.

One of the cuebids was opposite a 2 opener and the other was opposite a takeout double (albeit at a high level). You cannot compare the strength requirements of the two simply based on whether or not the cuebidder was a passed hand.

#8 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-24, 16:33

I would not cue bid. You expect to make 4H but this is not a slam try hand.

On Lycier's hand I disagree with the double of 4D. Pass shows this hand. Of course, I don't believe that GIB has been programmed to play that partner's 2C opener creates a forcing situation - a major flaw. Still the cuebid is a bit much, and the follow-up pass of 5H is utterly abysmal.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users