Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bad cuebidding GIB Basic

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-20, 23:19

The few times GIB has cuebid before and jumped like that, it had control of EVERY side suit, so I faked the A. Why not 4 here, and I can avoid going to the 5-level and going down on a different hand layout?

"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-21, 01:50

I think standard Jacoby only with 13hcp is not a good convention.
It is just Jacoby captain only with 13hcp especially in the balanced hand who bring most of disasters in many situations.
Any improvement on it is certainly better than it.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-21, 08:44

View Postchasetb, on 2014-August-20, 23:19, said:

Why not 4 here...?

GIB was afraid you'd take it as Gerber.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-21, 08:47

View Postlycier, on 2014-August-21, 01:50, said:

I think standard Jacoby only with 13hcp is not a good convention.
It is just Jacoby captain only with 13hcp especially in the balanced hand who bring most of disasters in many situations.

North has 14HCP and 4card support, which is certainly enough for a game-forcing raise.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-21, 09:06

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-August-21, 08:47, said:

North has 14HCP and 4card support, which is certainly enough for a game-forcing raise.

The description says 13+ Total Points. Maybe that was the objection, not this hand.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-21, 09:06

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-August-21, 08:47, said:

The description says 13+ Total Points. Maybe that was the objection, not this hand.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-21, 10:10

So, you (or he) would make a limit raise with 13 total points and 4card support? And, even if the answer is that some 13 hands are worth limit raise and others are worth forcing raise, the description of 2N would have to include 13.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-21, 12:09

Personally I don't have a strong opinion. Just trying to clarify the confusion.

#9 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-21, 13:56

Std Jacoby responses stink, but it's impractical for GIB to play something fancier as it has to do something a lot of people know. The main problem is that there's no real reason for it ever to cue bid 4 spades instead of 4 clubs. Depending on how big the limit of 3nt is, there's also some question of whether it should cue bid at all.

#10 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-August-21, 16:43

View PostStephen Tu, on 2014-August-21, 13:56, said:

Std Jacoby responses stink, but it's impractical for GIB to play something fancier as it has to do something a lot of people know. The main problem is that there's no real reason for it ever to cue bid 4 spades instead of 4 clubs. Depending on how big the limit of 3nt is, there's also some question of whether it should cue bid at all.

Gib has no reason to make any cuebid, it doesn't have much extra and 3N denied a maximum. Gib should be signing off.in 4, not forcing partnership to the 5-level on potentially minimum values.
I certainly hope 4 isn't Gerber as one person speculated. You need 4 as a cuebid and in suit contracts you generally want to Keycard not find out how many aces you have.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#11 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-21, 23:36

View PostStephen Tu, on 2014-August-21, 13:56, said:

I didn't realize that they had cut off the description. The rest of it was "2+ , 15-17 HCP, 16+ points".

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-August-21, 16:43, said:

Gib has no reason to make any cuebid, it doesn't have much extra and 3N denied a maximum. Gib should be signing off.in 4, not forcing partnership to the 5-level on potentially minimum values.I certainly hope 4 isn't Gerber as one person speculated. You need 4 as a cuebid and in suit contracts you generally want to Keycard not find out how many aces you have.

Steve, I have a good idea of Bob's writing, and that was definitely meant as a joke. Sadly, I know of more than a few people at the local club for whom that IS GERBER!

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-August-21, 10:10, said:

So, you (or he) would make a limit raise with 13 total points and 4-card support? And, even if the answer is that some 13 hands are worth limit raise and others are worth forcing raise, the description of 2N would have to include 13.

The point was that Standard Jacoby 2NT sucks in it's response structure (for sure, though this one is better than the other common one of the 3-level showing singletons and the 4-level showing voids). I'm not sure, but I think lycier might also want balanced 12-14 HCP hands with 3-4 card support into 1 - 3NT or 1 - 3NT. I would disagree with 4-card support unless 4333, and I would expect softer values and no worthless doubletons.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#12 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-August-26, 06:09

Fixed in next version v31.

btw GIB's 4 is cue, not Gerber.

And GIB won't skip here correct ace.

#13 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-August-26, 09:55

View Postchasetb, on 2014-August-21, 23:36, said:

Steve, I have a good idea of Bob's writing, and that was definitely meant as a joke.
I guess I should have used a smilie.
PS: My name is Bill. :P

#14 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-26, 10:35

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-August-26, 09:55, said:

I guess I should have used a smilie.
PS: My name is Bill. :P

Bill Hamman?? :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users