• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-20, 16:08

Your call.

#2 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-20, 16:13

I think both 4 (transfer) and pass have upside and are not silly. My style is that there is only one way to get to 3nt, but multiple ways to get to 4. I'd pass, and I've been wrong before.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#3 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 16:40

I use whatever partnership methods to play in 4 .

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-August-20, 17:35

I think I use the partnership method to play in 3NT, which is usually a pass.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 17:58

Your opinion has not been asked for. Partner can double and then bid 3NT to show a flexible hand.

#6 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 18:20

BTW, at these colors it's even possible the 3nt bidder is preempting with a more deceptive 4m call (or taking out insurance against 4m being perceived as leaping michaels), happy to be -400/-450 if not doubled. If he's an imaginative sort.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 19:57

Easy pass
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-21, 07:31

I was the 3N bidder, and this was my hand: (I'm with Phil, Ken and Mr Ace on this one, if I bid 3N I'm not asking your opinion, X then 3N does that)

Partner didn't recover his error in the bidding by making the contract.

The defence was friendly, W cashed AK then switched to a diamond. Take it from there.

Spoiler

#9 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-21, 09:34

Not sure what responder was thinking if they bid, no one invited them to the party. Many times 3N is based on a running suit, assume it isn't spades and pass.

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-21, 10:27

View Postmcphee, on 2014-August-21, 09:34, said:

Not sure what responder was thinking if they bid, no one invited them to the party. Many times 3N is based on a running suit, assume it isn't spades and pass.

I completely agree, I might well have had the K less and another diamond.

#11 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-21, 11:43

Take two high trump, assuming both follow ruff a winning club back to hand to play another trump and claim. Beating the pairs in 3nt, btw, unless they get unusually friendly defense. If both don't follow, cash the Q of clubs, and if that lives continue diamonds until someone ruffs; you won't be down more than one unless the 2h bidder had 4-6-1-2, and I don't see what you can do about that.

#12 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-21, 11:48

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-August-21, 07:31, said:

I was the 3N bidder, and this was my hand: (I'm with Phil, Ken and Mr Ace on this one, if I bid 3N I'm not asking your opinion, X then 3N does that)

Partner didn't recover his error in the bidding by making the contract.

The defence was friendly, W cashed AK then switched to a diamond. Take it from there.

Spoiler

Trying again after the spoiler. If I believe the Q from W, I don't cash the other high trump. I can cash the Q of clubs, pitching my diamond, and play diamonds from the top, sort of trump coup'ing E. I need the 2nd (trump) entry to the board. If E ruffs the 2nd diamond high (I pitch a heart), win the presumed heart return (or trump return) on the board, and can start diamonds again with a reentry available. Of course, if I take this line and W played the Q from Qx, I'm going to want a sympathetic CHO.

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-21, 11:50

View Posttrevahound, on 2014-August-21, 11:48, said:

Trying again after the spoiler. If I believe the Q from W, I don't cash the other high trump. I can cash the Q of clubs, pitching my diamond, and play diamonds from the top, sort of trump coup'ing E. I need the 2nd (trump) entry to the board. If E ruffs the 2nd diamond high (I pitch a heart), win the presumed heart return (or trump return) on the board, and can start diamonds again with a reentry available. Of course, if I take this line and W played the Q from Qx, I'm going to want a sympathetic CHO.

What are you going to do if RHO keeps pitching ?

#14 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-21, 12:06

I bid 4S and its not close. Just because we haven't bid doesn't mean partner bid 3N on the assumption we are broke. On average we should have 2-4 points, and probably not 6 spades.

But I would would also double or bid 3H (Western Cue) with such a powerful hand.

#15 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-21, 12:49

3n can be anything from a wild side interference bid to a monstrous trick taking
machine. What the hand is NOT is a hand that wants to know your opinion about the
final contract unless you happen to hold a huge surprise (you do not) however
QJTxxx xxx xx xx would qualify as a surprise. Note that with the surprise spade
suit we should have a max of 1 loser and our trickless hand is worth 5 tricks.
With the hand given in the problem it would have been far too easy for partner
to hold the stiff spade ace and we would be at the mercy of the distribution masters
in order to void more than 2 spade losers. AK is quite a nice holding and 4s still
looks grim:)

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-August-22, 03:29

View Posttrevahound, on 2014-August-21, 11:43, said:

you won't be down more than one unless the 2h bidder had 4-6-1-2, and I don't see what you can do about that.

They will not be 6412 - CY would have told us if they lead the ace from AK bare.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-22, 05:10

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-August-22, 03:29, said:

They will not be 6412 - CY would have told us if they lead the ace from AK bare.

Not sure Fantunes opens the intermediate 2 with both majors.

There appears to me to be 2 lines:

1: cash 1 high trump, cash Q discarding a diamond, play 3 diamonds discarding hearts, ruff a diamond, A/ ruff, spade to dummy.

2: cash both high trumps, if W shows out, ruff Q and play on diamonds, if E keeps pitching, ruff the 5th one and hope A stands up.

The first fails to make the overtrick if W has QJ and 2 diamonds and goes down if W has Qx and 2 diamonds, but can cope with E holding 4 spades and 4 clubs, the second line fails to that because the A gets ruffed.

At the table, E was 4333 so either would work.

#18 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-August-22, 13:33

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-August-20, 16:08, said:

Your call.
IMO Pass = 10, 4 (transfer) = 7. Partner's bid is usually based on a good long suit. If he wanted to consult you, then he'd double first.
In 4, after AK, A, A, I like cyberyeti's line 2.

#19 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-August-22, 19:07

Pass:
1) what your hand is worth,
2) trust partner
3) preserves the partnership, and
4) a responsibility transfer.
In no particular order... ;)
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#20 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-27, 08:46

Depends. If 3NT is based on a running suit, you can venture a pass.

If you have 3NT defined as balanced/semibalanced, then you got an easy pull to 4S.

Easy, but not riskless. RHO might be lurking with KJTx...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users