Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Five Keycards

#1 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-19, 17:51

Nothing instructive here, merely interesting and then only for the rarity.
I picked up AKxx AKxxxx Ax A (and noted sadly that this was not bridge for money) as dealer NV for IMPs. I ventured a 2 opening and rebid 2 over partners 2 call. He raised to 3, I chose to bid 3 and partner now bid 4N! Now, olds-timers must have kicked in as I admitted to only 4 of the 5 keycards. But, I corrected his 6 signoff to the next level. I am not sure that science has any answers when partner is invoking old blacky with no aces himself, but it seemed worthwhile to take that push. Unfortunately, his assets were limited to both minor Kings and the trump queen, but the ever popular psuedo squeeze prevailed (this was not a top level table).
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#2 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-August-19, 21:42

Don't sell yourself short now. GIB says it was legitimate. By the time I started paying attention, it was a double squeeze, but looking back, it was apparently compound, East deciding with his discard at Trick 7 which suit would be in the center of the double squeeze at Trick 8.

#3 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-19, 22:34

View PostSiegmund, on 2014-August-19, 21:42, said:

Don't sell yourself short now. GIB says it was legitimate. By the time I started paying attention, it was a double squeeze, but looking back, it was apparently compound, East deciding with his discard at Trick 7 which suit would be in the center of the double squeeze at Trick 8.

Even the blind bear gets the occasional acorn.
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2014-August-20, 03:44

When playing 5 keycard blacky, your responses are 0/3, 1/4, 2/5 -Q, 2/5 +Q. 5 keys are included in the 2 key responses, but somehow they are forgotten by many players. Partner can figure out that you didn't open 2 with only 2 keys.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 04:46

Here are some science answers.
1. Serious 3NT - here Responder could rebid 3NT instead of jumping to 4NT. Then 4 - 4 and Opener can now check for the trump queen and, if you want, third round spade control.
2. DABs/Asking Bids - here Opener would bid 4 instead of 3 to find out whether Responder has a diamond control. Responder then admits to having one along with no key cards and the auction progresses as above.
3. Double Raise - Traditionally a double raise here shows a good hand without an ace. An easy amendment in the RKCB era is for the hand to deny any key cards at all. Now Opener's 4 continuation asks about the trump queen and there is plenty of space to find out the rest.
4. Simple but sensible - There was really little reason for Responder to jump directly to 4NT on the hand they hold. A simple 4 shows some life and empowers North to take control. There is not enough space to ask about 3rd round spade control this way but the auction would be adequate for most pairs.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users