Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 bad descriptions GIB Basic

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-19, 12:32

On hand 1, I was bidding this way planning to stop in 4, but decided later that partner had 5-6 Hearts. Anyways, my 2 showed 16+ points and 4- , but biddable ones?

Hand 2 (Entered an Indy midway, so created it). GIB is North. On a side note, how to I modify it to enter names?

I don't think it's standard, but over 2NT I pitch to you all that 3 should be Baron and 3NT to be 5+ , and both to be forcing to 4NT.

Over 1 - 3/3/3 or 1 - 3/3, 3NT should promise at least one stopper, and be more limited in points. I would say limited to 16- HCP and 18- points, but I am open to suggestions here.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-19, 12:50

View Postchasetb, on 2014-August-19, 12:32, said:

Anyways, my 2 showed 16+ points and 4- , but biddable ones?
GIB's definition of "biddable" is: "5+ cards, or 4 cards + 3 of 5 honors or more than 4 8421 points", so the explanation of your 2 bid is simply saying that you wouldn't bother to show 4 crappy ones. That's bad? Edit... Oh, upon looking at it again, you are saying that 2 should be a double and correct, showing real spades... I agree with that.

View Postchasetb, on 2014-August-19, 12:32, said:

Hand 2 (Entered an Indy midway, so created it). GIB is North. On a side note, how to I modify it to enter names?
Each early command (names, hand definitions, etc) starts with "&". "&en=xyz" means "East's name is xyz". So, I've added "&nn=Robot" to the diagram.

This post has been edited by Bbradley62: 2014-August-19, 13:01

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-19, 12:53

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-August-19, 12:50, said:

GIB's definition of "biddable" is: "5+ cards, or 4 cards + 3 of 5 honors or more than 4 8421 points", so the explanation of your 2 bid is simply saying that you wouldn't bother to show 4 crappy ones. That's bad?

It is accurate, but incomplete. You also would not do it on 5 crappy ones. Or 6 crappy ones. Or 4 good ones,
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-19, 13:05

GIB's definition of "biddable" is: "5+ cards, or 4 cards + 3 of 5 honors or more than 4 8421 points", so the explanation of your 2 bid is simply saying that you wouldn't bother to show 4 crappy ones. That's bad?

I'm not arguing with the definition of 'biddable', but when the first description is 4- , as in 4 or less Spades, and then it says 'biddable spades' then there's a conflict, unless GIB can only have a very strong 4-card suit.

Each early command (names, hand definitions, etc) starts with "&". "&en=xyz" means "East's name is xyz". So, I've added "&nn=Robot" to the diagram.

Got it, and as you can see I did it. Thanks for the help there!
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-August-19, 13:31

View Postchasetb, on 2014-August-19, 13:05, said:

I'm not arguing with the definition of 'biddable', but when the first description is 4- , as in 4 or less Spades, and then it says 'biddable spades' then there's a conflict, unless GIB can only have a very strong 4-card suit.

I don't think that it is just that conflict at issue. A 4 card spade suit comprising AKQJ is, in my view, unsuitable for introducing as a new suit having made a takeout double of another suit on the previous round.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users