3C 3D Pass ?

What is your call as South holding:
AK64 A1043 83 972

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-August-19, 11:30

#1. Pass, even with 2 8-card fits. I don't want to suggest a sacrifice and I don't have a preference. If motivated, I may bid 3C for a lead director.

#2. 5D. There is no sensible way I know to reach a 4-4 major at this point, even if partner is 64, so I will assume he is 1-suited and raise his suit.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 11:43

Board 2. I have mentioned before a meta rule that I play raises to 4m in competition as forcing and using the cue bid as the way to stop (where both are available). In this style the cue bid is either a raise to four diamonds or looking for an alternative strain. Usually, 3NT will still be in the picture (eg 2 by them and pard overcalls 3) so we can cue to see if 3NT is in the picture and still stop in 4m when it is not.

Anyway, the same principle can be used here, so it's 4 for me. I will pass 4 or 4M. It's anti-intuitive to play the cue as potentially weaker than the simple raise, but it works.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-19, 12:04

1) 3 confidently. I would not pass.
2) 4 planning to pass if pd bids 4 or 4M

PS: I don't know if 4 should be GF, is it?

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2014-August-19, 12:06

#5 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-August-19, 12:09

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-August-19, 12:04, said:

1) 3 confidently. I would not pass.
2) 4 planning to pass if pd bids 4 or 4M

PS: I don't know if 4 should be GF, is it?

with no discussion I would assume a cuebid by an unpassed hand at the 4 level is gf. Of course if you have an agreement...

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 16:12

Phil, what do you think of the idea of playing 3 in this auction as the equivalent of your cue and a 4 advance as showing hearts?

I think it is a good rule that raising to 4m is forcing when slam is in the picture and there was an alternative bid looking for 3NT. That is less clear when the alternative cue is 4 and I am not so sure you can consider these auctions equivalent.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 16:33

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-August-19, 16:12, said:

Phil, what do you think of the idea of playing 3 in this auction as the equivalent of your cue and a 4 advance as showing hearts?

I think it is a good rule that raising to 4m is forcing when slam is in the picture and there was an alternative bid looking for 3NT. That is less clear when the alternative cue is 4 and I am not so sure you can consider these auctions equivalent.

It's fine to play 3 over as a random force, although the benefit is marginal (but probably real). I have evidence that some of the Italians do this.

But 3 over 3 is just too valuable as a natural bid.

#8 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-August-19, 21:02

ok thanks all I thought there may be some merit in bidding 4c on both hands.

This is part of a bidding challenge in my old district newspaper..ok my very old district newspaper in Urbana Il.

http://home.comcast.net/~dist8adv/

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 04:23

I do not like 4 at all on the first hand - either a simple 3 or whichever of Pass and XX asks partner to choose in a discouraging way. On hand 2 4 has a lot more going for it and will probably be the majority choice; 3 and 4 are alternatives, albeit not without risk.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 09:17

Hand 1

My hand is miraculous when one considers the bidding that has taken place so far.
2 eight card fits with AJT all concentrated in p 2 suits. Having said that 5c
and even 4h are a long way off if p cannot bid some more. The very least I can do
is make some kind of noise even if it seems only to show a preference with no power.

3c

Yes same call might happen with xxxx xx xxx xxxx but like I said game is a long way away
and if p wishes to sac in clubs at least I have given them something to think a sac could
be worthwhile. There is another advantage to 3c in that I may get a chance to introduce
hearts later. 3C might also end up being a great lead director in case we have to defend.
BTW if p does invite game I am way more than happy to accept (and almost confident enough
to xx though that would be a dumb thing to do anyway).

hand 2

I do not wish to bury partner but this hand has a ton of potential. I do not really like 5d
since it is unilateral and takes away all chance of slam bidding. 4c cue bid seems possible
but sure seems ugly without a real fit OR a club control. P chose 3d for a reason so that
means at least 1 of their major suits is probably length defective. That means I would not
concern myself with p having some 4351 shape. I would choose a simple

3H

bid. While I would convert 4h to 5d I can safely raise 3s so I have a 50% chance of getting to
a major suit game when we have one available. Not only that but the 3h bid keeps slam in the
picture.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users