• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should we alert? England

#1 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-19, 07:03

Just looking for advice on the final 2 bid in the following non-competitive sequence, which occurred in the EBU but it looks like a fairly generic question to me.

1 (2+, non-forcing) - 1 (4+ spades)
1 (11-13 bal, 2-3) - 2 (to play)

There is no doubt that our method is uncommon and it's not clear whether a natural 2 is forcing or not. On the other hand, it is extremely common for 2 to be artificial in this auction and I expect the vast majority of pairs would alert 2. It seems to me that our opponents will be less damaged by not alerting since they are far more likely to ask, whereas alerting a non-forcing bid may catch them out with no recompense.

I should have asked one of the EBU directors at the weekend, but it occurred late in the day when they, and I, had other things on our minds.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 07:13

Walsh style is alertable (OB 5G2C2) so when explaining the meaning of 1 you probably should say that it could be a weak hand with longer diamonds than spades.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 07:36

Well, I can't quote a rule. But similarly, if you play natural weak take outs over 1NT, for example, I've always been told that they are not alertable - unusual though they may be in most company.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 07:45

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-August-19, 07:13, said:

Walsh style is alertable (OB 5G2C2)

We're on to the Blue Book now, and I understand that the L&E committee consider that Walsh style is not alertable, so as to distinguish what is essentially a natural method from the increasingly common transfer responses to a 1C opening, which do get alerted.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-August-19, 07:55

View Postgordontd, on 2014-August-19, 07:45, said:

We're on to the Blue Book now, and I understand that the L&E committee consider that Walsh style is not alertable, so as to distinguish what is essentially a natural method from the increasingly common transfer responses to a 1C opening, which do get alerted.

Thanks. Sounds reasonable, especially considering that many weak-notrumpers will rebid 1NT with anay 15-16(17) balanced even if that means bypassing a 4-card major (Scotish style). My impression is that many ordinary club players play Walsh without knowing that it is is called Walsh and that it used to be alertable.

OK in that case I think it's clear that Paul's 2 bid is not alertable.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-August-19, 09:32

View Postgordontd, on 2014-August-19, 07:45, said:

Hm. What of

BB4H2{b}: Because they have a potentially unexpected meaning, players must alert: {b} The first bid in a potential canapé sequence

It seems to me this makes 1 (Walsh style) alertable, since a minor suit rebid could be longer. Have the L&E issued anything official exempting Walsh from this provision? I get the idea, but the EBU are generally better than the ACBL at disseminating these things, so I'm wondering. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-August-19, 09:35

So in the standard (Acol or SA) sequence
1-(pass)-1
you also have to alert the 1 bid if you have a method to show a longer minor suit in the next round?

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 10:02

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-August-19, 09:32, said:

Hm. What of
It seems to me this makes 1 (Walsh style) alertable, since a minor suit rebid could be longer. Have the L&E issued anything official exempting Walsh from this provision? I get the idea, but the EBU are generally better than the ACBL at disseminating these things, so I'm wondering. B-)

I think that responder bidding a four-card major at the one level before a five-card minor with a weak hand is not considered to be canapé - certainly I can't find any definitions online that would make it such.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-August-19, 10:06

I think the potential canape stuff is meant to apply to opening bids.
[1-1M and 1-1 were always potential canape and never alerted]

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-August-19, 09:32, said:

Have the L&E issued anything official exempting Walsh from this provision? I get the idea, but the EBU are generally better than the ACBL at disseminating these things, so I'm wondering. B-)

Sometimes, if we decide that something is no longer unexpected and is therefore not alertable, it just gets dropped for the list of examples of things that are natural-but-unexpected-and-therefore-alertable. The only way to demonstrate that such a bid is now unalertable is to compare with a previous edition.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 10:18

I know better than to discuss what should be alertable or not alertable in the EBU. However, it can be very confusing to refer to "Walsh Style" in a thread where "T-Walsh" is stipulated.

These are two different things.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 10:58

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-August-19, 10:18, said:

I know better than to discuss what should be alertable or not alertable in the EBU. However, it can be very confusing to refer to "Walsh Style" in a thread where "T-Walsh" is stipulated.

And both are being discussed.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-August-19, 11:21

View PostRMB1, on 2014-August-19, 10:06, said:

Sometimes, if we decide that something is no longer unexpected and is therefore not alertable, it just gets dropped for the list of examples of things that are natural-but-unexpected-and-therefore-alertable. The only way to demonstrate that such a bid is now unalertable is to compare with a previous edition.

Ugh. Not good. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 11:22

I think the Blue Book indicates that it is not alertable unless it has a potentially unexpected meaning. That does not seem to be the case here.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-August-19, 11:36

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-August-19, 10:18, said:

Is "T-Walsh" similar to transfer responses to a 1 opening?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-August-19, 11:38

The only way to demonstrate that such a bid is now unalertable is to compare with a previous edition.

Ah, but there is no previous edition of the Blue Book...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 12:42

View Postpaulg, on 2014-August-19, 07:03, said:

Just looking for advice on the final 2 bid in the following non-competitive sequence, which occurred in the EBU but it looks like a fairly generic question to me.

1 (2+, non-forcing) - 1 (4+ spades)
1 (11-13 bal, 2-3) - 2 (to play)

There is no doubt that our method is uncommon and it's not clear whether a natural 2 is forcing or not. On the other hand, it is extremely common for 2 to be artificial in this auction and I expect the vast majority of pairs would alert 2. It seems to me that our opponents will be less damaged by not alerting since they are far more likely to ask, whereas alerting a non-forcing bid may catch them out with no recompense.

I agree. Not alertable. This should be the same as 1NT-Pass-2 weak take-out.

How about this natural sequence: 1-1-1NT-2? Some play this as 5+, 4+. Some play this as 5+, usually only 4 spades. Is either of these sequences alertable? I'd argue that both are potentially expected (as an opponent I know to ask at the end of the auction) so no need to alert.

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-19, 12:53

View Postjallerton, on 2014-August-19, 12:42, said:

I agree. Not alertable. This should be the same as 1NT-Pass-2 weak take-out.

How about this natural sequence: 1-1-1NT-2? Some play this as 5+, 4+. Some play this as 5+, usually only 4 spades. Is either of these sequences alertable? I'd argue that both are potentially expected (as an opponent I know to ask at the end of the auction) so no need to alert.

This sort of thing is a big problem. What is expected is rather different in a big club in London or national event to a sleepy club in Norfolk. Nobody here would consider 2 in the 1N auction to ever be anything other than to play, 4/5-6 weak, 5/4 would not enter the heads of 99% of the people here so it really should be alerted here.

Should what you alert vary by where you are in EBUland ?

#18 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 12:54

If the advice changes from alertable to not alertable then it really ought to be included on a list of examples of not alertable calls. In my opinion, it's unreasonable to expect TDs, let alone players, to carry out the comparison you suggest.

Even some avid EBU-baseed readers of this forum do not reaslise when a new version of the Blue Book has come in to force. For example:

View PostVampyr, on 2014-August-19, 11:38, said:

Ah, but there is no previous edition of the Blue Book...

The first edition of the Blue Book came into force on 1st August 2013. A revised edition came into force on 1st August 2014.

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-August-19, 13:36

View Postjallerton, on 2014-August-19, 12:42, said:

(as an opponent I know to ask at the end of the auction)

There is a vast gulf, Jeffrey, between what you know and what the average player knows. Perhaps the answer is to explain the agreement at the end of the auction, when playing against average or inexperienced players, and at clubs in the back of beyond, as per Cyberyeti's post above.

View Postjallerton, on 2014-August-19, 12:54, said:

The first edition of the Blue Book came into force on 1st August 2013. A revised edition came into force on 1st August 2014.

Yes, I had wondered about this after posting, as August is usually the month when these things get updated. It might not be a bad idea for Blue Book changes to be emailed to all EBU members.

#20 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 13:43

View PostVampyr, on 2014-August-19, 11:36, said:

Is "T-Walsh" similar to transfer responses to a 1 opening?

Yes.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users