BBO Discussion Forums: A Distinction without a Difference - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Distinction without a Difference

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-18, 11:35

My link

Match points, ACBL robot individual

The display hand illustrates what I see as two recurrent issues. First is the lack of distinction between bids made at the first opportunity and bids made after passing (and especially in pass-out position). Second is the robot's habit of passing with hands with which (in my opinion) it should bid, and then, when partner protects, leaping to game unilaterally making it impossible to achieve a plus score on hands on which North-South have the balance of power.

In this case, an immediate bid of 2 by South over the take-out double shows, according to the system notes, 14-18 total points with 6+ s. My 2 bid, after passing the take-out double and made in the pass-out seat also showed, according to the notes, 14-18 total points with 6+ . I think there should be a distinction, particularly when, because of North's failure to bid over 2, I am in the pass-out seat and must choose between bidding on and defending 2.

On the subject of North's failure to bid over 2, although I don't know what the system notes say, I believe that North should have a clear 2 bid: holding only 2 (otherwise North would have raised immediately or jumped to 3 at this point), and holding too much to pass 2. As it is, North's pass looks to me like a trap pass, and it's not the opponents who get caught.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-August-18, 12:59

I couldn't view your link

but what your complaining about is pretty common occurrence :huh:

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 13:38

Here's the hand.

uva72, what you want to use is the syntax
[ hv=lin=......]400|300[/hv]
except no space character before the hv, and copy the "lin=...." part of the URL from your mylink and copy it after the hv=
Then people can view your post inline in the forums.

As for the bidding, I agree with your general point. It's tough because the programmers have to write out rules for all these things, and there is just a extraordinary number of possible competitive sequences, and it's hard to cover them all so GIB often falls back on more general rules which don't limit its hand as much as we would like them to.

Probably double by North on the second round should be defined as takeout, but probably now it is one of those stupid "biddable hearts" rules with a wide strength range penalty doubles.

#4 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-18, 14:05

Actually, I'm using the procedure outlined in the pinned posting "When reporting GIB's bugs..." I haven't had issues before. Could this be a 1-time problem or is that procedure no longer functional?

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 14:23

Well the main problem with your link is you are missing the ":" character after http: in your link. Don't know if that was a cut & paste error on your part or something else.

The way I and others do it has the advantage that readers can see it inline without having to click on anything.

#6 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 17:20

It is not pattern of rigid for anyone or robot to play this game.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users