• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1NT - 3NT

#1 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-18, 09:08

So this came up recently and I wondered if anyone had put any thought into it. My LHO opened a weak 1NT and partner overcalled 3NT.

1. What would you take this to mean with a random intermediate partner?
2. What would you take this to mean with a random expert partner?
3. What do you think it should mean in an established partnership?

If your answers to 1 or 2 depend on what your own hand looks like then do your best to explain.
(-: Zel :-)

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-18, 09:34

I expect it to mean "I have a long solid minor, some stuff outside and I don't fancy allowing opps to find their easy escape or the right lead against 3N".

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 10:00

Some twosuited hand. With cyberyetis hand I double. Usually opener won't make any lead directing calls after that.

With an unknown intermediate I just pass.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-18, 10:03

helene_t, on 2014-August-18, 10:00, said:

Some twosuited hand.

Don't most people play conventions to show 2-suiters? Cappeletti is popular against weak NT.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-August-18, 10:18

Capelleti is not popular here but yes some people play ml or astro. Anyway, with a weak 65 or 66 hand you might want to bid more aggressively
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-August-18, 11:41

Whether it makes sense or not, a strong contender is a sort of super-michaels major two-suiter with great playing strength.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2014-August-18, 12:08

1. A strong balanced hand 20+
2. Running minor 8-9 playing tricks
3. ditto
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-August-18, 12:40

I've never thought about this but I'd take and mean it as natural with anyone. I'd be quite upset if anyone tried to spring it on me and it wasn't natural (without discussion of course -- I wouldn't agree to any artificial meaning). It's right up there with meaning a 4 overcall as Texas.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#9 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 13:13

natural in all cases
The artist formerly known as jlall

#10 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-18, 13:59

PhantomSac, on 2014-August-18, 13:13, said:

natural in all cases

The best and safest rule there! My preferred meta-agreement: 3NT in competition is to play unless manifestly impossible. In constructive bidding, 3NT is to play if we have no eight-card major suit fit (may be to play in some sequences even then, but these sequences need to be agreed on).

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-August-18, 23:27

To play, natural or just possibly a long suit and stoppers. If not, then after the session partner and I are going to have a serious discussion about the future, if any, of this partnership.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 00:42

helene_t, on 2014-August-18, 10:00, said:

Some twosuited hand.
What's wrong with 2NT for that, assuming you want a conventional NT over NT opening?

#13 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 03:19

I take it to mean that partner does not want me to even think about what it means, as he wants me to pass. Being a good partner, I switch my brain off and just sort the cards ready to put down when the lead is made.

#14 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-August-19, 03:25

Antrax, on 2014-August-19, 00:42, said:

What's wrong with 2NT for that, assuming you want a conventional NT over NT opening?

True, you could use them for different suit combinations but obviously that requires discussion. Without discussion I would just think that 3NT is more extreme, and that 2NT is specifically the minors. But if it just shows any two-suiter with at least one major it is probably useless.

Apparantly the concensus is that I am wrong. Anyway, I would never make that bid undiscussed unless 1NT was some kind of transfer opening.

#15 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 15:09

Zelandakh, on 2014-August-18, 09:08, said:

So this came up recently and I wondered if anyone had put any thought into it. My LHO opened a weak 1NT and partner overcalled 3NT.

1. What would you take this to mean with a random intermediate partner?
2. What would you take this to mean with a random expert partner?
3. What do you think it should mean in an established partnership?

If your answers to 1 or 2 depend on what your own hand looks like then do your best to explain.

1. & 2. Natural.

3. It depends on the partnership's agreements about other calls. Is there a hole which can usefully be filled at this high level?

In a couple of partnerships where 2NT means something other than a game forcing 2-suiter, I have suggested playing this as 6-6 in the majors. Why? If you start with Landy or Asptro, there is a danger than partner will pass, (mis)guessing that 2m is the best contract.

Some people can't double 1NT for penalties, so for them 3NT = natural seems the obvious meaning.

#16 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-August-20, 00:23

blackshoe, on 2014-August-18, 23:27, said:

To play, natural or just possibly a long suit and stoppers. If not, then after the session partner and I are going to have a serious discussion about the future, if any, of this partnership.

Isn't the point of random club games to hone your partnership? Me and my partner recently had a situation where we both simultaneously realised mid action that in completely undiscussed sequence X with interference there was a logical and artificial way to arrange the available bids, but I wimped out from implementing that artificial scheme without discussion, partner assumed I had, and a result we got a poor board. If I had of sprung the artificial bids on him and he got it wrong I'd feel slightly bad, but it's just some random match-points game that neither of us care about.

The line of logic for (1NT)-3NT to be 66 majors in a game going hand isn't torturous, so if partner meant it as that I'd roll with it.

Anyway, random assumptions

1) Strong
2) Gambling style (thinks he can rattle off a bunch of tricks but that they have an easy escape)
3) Probably 66 majors because X is penalty.

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-August-20, 01:18

I tend to put a meta-agreement in place with most partners: if we haven't discussed a call, it is natural. I might be willing to agree something else, like "if we haven't discussed it, take your best guess" after several years playing with the same partner and some strong evidence we're usually (always?) on the same page in such sequences, but it would take a long time to get there.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#18 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 01:58

helene_t, on 2014-August-19, 03:25, said:

True, you could use them for different suit combinations but obviously that requires discussion. Without discussion I would just think that 3NT is more extreme, and that 2NT is specifically the minors.

Without discussion, the traditional meaning of 2NT is an unspecified two-suiter in a strong hand.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-August-20, 04:18

Cthulhu D, on 2014-August-20, 00:23, said:

1) Strong
2) Gambling style (thinks he can rattle off a bunch of tricks but that they have an easy escape)
3) Probably 66 majors because X is penalty.

This was basically similar to how my thinking went. I encountered this in situation 1 and took some time to evaluate my partner. From that I guessed they had a big balanced hand - and they did! I realised that I would still have passed in case 2 but now I would be certain the hand would be different - it has to be some freak that can rattle off tricks but has wide open suits that would not stand a penalty double. In truth though, I would think this auction simply does not exist under these conditions. And for case 3 my thoughts were also going to an extreme 2-suiter, which 2-suits probably depending on the 1NT defence in use. Jallerton's point about defences without a penalty double is also well taken.

In any case, it felt like an interesting exercise and goes to the heart of being a good indi/pick-up partner - being able to judge the thinking of your partner with limited experience. Not interesting enough for IBH and not theoretical enough for NBD - but good for a quickie in General.
(-: Zel :-)

#20 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 11:37

Pet peeve: it's either spelled with double p's, double l's, and double t's, or "H-A-M-I-L-T-O-N"...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users