• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1NT - 3NT

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-20, 11:57

View Postmycroft, on 2014-August-20, 11:37, said:

Pet peeve: it's either spelled with double p's, double l's, and double t's, or "H-A-M-I-L-T-O-N"...

What's wrong with "P-O-T-T-A-G-E"?
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 15:27

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-August-20, 11:57, said:

What's wrong with "P-O-T-T-A-G-E"?

Looks like a double T to me.

#23 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-August-20, 18:12

Pet peeve: it's either spelled with double p's, double l's, and double t's, or "H-A-M-I-L-T-O-N"...

Two p's and 4 e's, actually.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 19:13

Or "H-E-L-M-S" or "P-O-T-T-A-G-E". B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-20, 23:15

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-August-20, 19:13, said:

Or "H-E-L-M-S" or "P-O-T-T-A-G-E". B-)

I have never heard anything about Jerry Helms also independently around the same time coming up with that defense structure.

I would expect it to be 'to play' in all situations, unless a longtime partner can prove to me it has a better meaning/usage.

On a side note, at a very weak club game it once went P - P - 1 to me. I held a balanced 25 HCP hand, but luckily partner (a very weak player) and I had the agreement that 3NT was 25-27 HCP whether opening or overcalling, so I bid it. Everyone passed, and after the opening lead partner put down an 8-count with two Kings and a nice KQTxxx suit (was missing K Q J J overall). I immediately congratulated RHO on attempting to psyche me out, and made 7. This was tied for top with one other pair; everyone else made 6. It also turned out his wife had more HCP than he did! :lol:
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-21, 09:31

I knew I should have just said "capp".

#27 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-21, 17:29

View Postchasetb, on 2014-August-20, 23:15, said:

I have never heard anything about Jerry Helms also independently around the same time coming up with that defense structure.

Helms wrote a book, Helms to Hello, in which he describes the evolution of his development from the basic convention, through a modified version (think "modified Cappalletti"), to the final "Hello", which uses transfers. Still in print, if I'm not mistaken.

"Pottage" is, iirc, Julian Pottage, the English player and writer.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#28 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-26, 13:16

(1NT) 3NT is usually defined as majors where I live.

Opposite a random it's anyone's guess.

#29 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-August-27, 02:49

On a side note I floated this with partner and he said that he was fairly sure that it was a big majors hand, but that gambling 3NT was possible and concluded that it should probably be majors but he's not sure what he'd do at the table. I was surprised to realise that we

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-August-20, 01:18, said:

I tend to put a meta-agreement in place with most partners: if we haven't discussed a call, it is natural. I might be willing to agree something else, like "if we haven't discussed it, take your best guess" after several years playing with the same partner and some strong evidence we're usually (always?) on the same page in such sequences, but it would take a long time to get there.

Yeah, we have something similar, but we approach it differently in club games (particularly pairs games) vs something for which there is a prize. There our agreement in club games boils down to is it's natural unless on the balance of probabilities it is not. In a serious event it's natural unless it is overwhelmingly unlikely to be natural, e.g. (1S)-5S. I'm much more willing to take chances in a pairs game that doesn't matter other than the 0.2 master-points for winning, vs a two day teams event where I don't want to have to explain that I decided to do action X completely undiscussed and it turned out we had different perspectives on what is 'obvious'

Indeed, I think that not taking the chances in the random club game is wasting the random club game. That's the time to find out exactly how bad a hand you can bid 2C with over a 1D opening.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users