BBO Discussion Forums: A Play Problem - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

A Play Problem

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-18, 06:10

A simple auction against which West led the jack of hearts to East's king. What do you do now?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-August-18, 06:31

I have a couple of thoughts
1 - hope spades are 3-3 and take the double finesse in clubs?
2 - duck a diamond and if they both follow when they return a heart, duck another diamond and pray that they're 3-3 - hope to get a couple of diamonds couple of hearts 4 spades and a club (losing 2 hearts and 2 diamonds)?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-August-18, 07:27

View Posteagles123, on 2014-August-18, 06:31, said:

I have a couple of thoughts
1 - hope spades are 3-3 and take the double finesse in clubs?
2 - duck a diamond and if they both follow when they return a heart, duck another diamond and pray that they're 3-3 - hope to get a couple of diamonds couple of hearts 4 spades and a club (losing 2 hearts and 2 diamonds)?

I think you are putting too many eggs in two baskets. Is there a way to do better?

#4 User is offline   rkowalick 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-August-18, 15:32

My guess is

Spoiler

#5 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 23:08

Do note that to double finesse one needs to double get to dummy, and it would appear the only suit to allow such is KQxx opposite AJx.

#6 User is offline   rkowalick 

• Pip

Posted 2014-August-19, 13:40

My strategy is completely bogus. Time to put back on the thinking cap.

#7 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 15:31

Perhaps I am missing something - this doesn't look like a N/B problem to me, but I would run four rounds of spades and pitch a diamond if opps pitch a club, pitch a club if they pitch a diamond or a heart and then play on the suit I didn't pitch.

I'm not exactly sure why but running spades and seeing what happens seems like the natural thing to do on the deal.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#8 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 22:33

I keep waiting for rhm to pitch in and say the correct line is cash AQ, four rounds of spades, heart and watch the discards.

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-August-20, 11:04

Lamford asks

"A simple auction against which West led the jack of hearts to East's king. What do you do now?"
Spoiler

#10 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-20, 14:02

View Postnige1, on 2014-August-20, 11:04, said:

<snip>

A good reason why in certain cases it is good technique to play the middle card from 3 when giving partner count when he will not need to know the full count until the second round of the suit.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#11 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-August-20, 15:26

Indeed leading the jack of spades is the best line. West will surely give count, and if he seems to have four or two, then lead the jack of clubs. If he is expert, you may have to guess. You will still, of course, succeed by force if West has Hxx or Hx in clubs, as long as they cannot cash five tricks. And it costs nothing, as leading the jack of clubs immediately is equally good against two perfect defenders.

#12 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-20, 15:31

View Postlamford, on 2014-August-20, 15:26, said:

Indeed leading the jack of spades is the best line. West will surely give count

Do you play club bridge?

#13 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-August-20, 16:08

View PostStevenG, on 2014-August-20, 15:31, said:

Do you play club bridge?

I do, and most of the intermediates at our club will manage to give count when there is an entry-less dummy. I accept that this should not have been in the novice and beginner forum.

#14 User is offline   nate_m 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-August-21, 01:34

View Postlamford, on 2014-August-20, 15:26, said:

Indeed leading the jack of spades is the best line. West will surely give count, and if he seems to have four or two, then lead the jack of clubs. If he is expert, you may have to guess. You will still, of course, succeed by force if West has Hxx or Hx in clubs, as long as they cannot cash five tricks. And it costs nothing, as leading the jack of clubs immediately is equally good against two perfect defenders.

It is not even close to true that the jack of clubs is equally good against perfect defenders.

Consider W 4423 with one club honor. Running 4 rounds of spades immediately is successful.

If you try the jack of clubs, E can win and shift to a diamond. If you win it, they take 3 diamonds 2 clubs, if you duck it, they shift back to hearts, taking a diamond, 2 hearts, and 2 clubs.

There are a host of totally routine hands where it is necessary to run spades before touching clubs.

Anyway, I think all are on the same page that this is far too advanced for the N/B forum.

#15 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-August-21, 03:29

View Postnate_m, on 2014-August-21, 01:34, said:

It is not even close to true that the jack of clubs is equally good against perfect defenders.

Consider W 4423 with one club honor. Running 4 rounds of spades immediately is successful.

If you try the jack of clubs, E can win and shift to a diamond. If you win it, they take 3 diamonds 2 clubs, if you duck it, they shift back to hearts, taking a diamond, 2 hearts, and 2 clubs.

There are a host of totally routine hands where it is necessary to run spades before touching clubs.

Anyway, I think all are on the same page that this is far too advanced for the N/B forum.

I agree. The original hand analysis recommended leading the jack of clubs immediately, and I thought leading the jack of spades was better. I think it is correct against most players to overtake if West shows an odd number. And I also think they will continue hearts in practice. Strengthen the diamond pips to give South the ten, and it is even clearer. But I also think it is unsuitable for N/B. I might change it slightly and put it on the expert section!

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users