• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IJS embarrassment

#1 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-18, 04:44

Should this be forcing?

I passed, thinking partner was probing for NT, and found out we had no diamond stop so parked the bus in part-score. I'm thinking partner should have something like kxxxx akx xx QJx. The sequence seems akin to overcalling, getting supported, cueing the opps' suit to check for a stop and then signing off.

Partner actually had a 5422 21 count and we scored up with -2140. This was actually in danger of being an amusing board as they had a PRC 'guess' in the trump suit to make 7 or -2 (you can safety play for 6), so we were close to scoring +9 for missing game.

I think if partner wants to go slamming in he should just raise to 4c, instead of tarting about with hearts. All the other good players I asked though said partner's sequence was forcing. I'm unrepentant. Comments?

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 05:48

It probably should be nonforcing but I wouldn't dare passing it without agreement, raising 4 to 5 in a constructive auction is usually no disaster
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 06:09

A quick question for you - what do you and your partner think about the auction 1 - 1; 3 - 3; 3 - 4? The issue of "fuzzy" follow-ups to IJSs is one that comes up regularly on BBF and one of the things I have learned through these threads is that comparing the auctions with the equivalent one in which Responder had opened and rebid 3 of their suit is often a good way of resolving matters without having to create special agreements.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 06:12

Maybe you asked the wrong people.

#5 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-18, 06:17

I think it should be forcing, with your example hand I would just bid 3NT.

It could be a slam try or some 5512 or similar and looking for the best game.

#6 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-August-18, 07:56

I guess there is a case to play it as NF, but ... I dont like stopping in 4m.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#7 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 10:01

Deleted...I misread the 1S open as 1C open ...
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#8 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-August-18, 10:15

I think strain before slam is a good general rule here, so 3 was a 3NT probe, and 3 denied a diamond stopper and modest (doubleton?) spade support. 4 would be non-forcing. I would be in the same boat as you.
--Ben--

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 14:49

I am probably one of the very long time users of invitational 3m bids over a major (about 15 years now)

I play this NF. A pair who is using this should never give up on their ability to seek 3 NT without fearing that they can never stop before game. And by experience I can confidently say that you will hold a lot of hands which are decent for 3 NT opposite the correct hand but have no interest in playing 5m. This is a very frequent auction if you play 3 m invitational. After all you have an opener opposite an invitational hand with good 6 card suit.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 16:12

View Postwank, on 2014-August-18, 04:44, said:

Should this be forcing?

I passed, thinking partner was probing for NT, and found out we had no diamond stop so parked the bus in part-score. I'm thinking partner should have something like kxxxx akx xx QJx. The sequence seems akin to overcalling, getting supported, cueing the opps' suit to check for a stop and then signing off.

Partner actually had a 5422 21 count and we scored up with -2140. This was actually in danger of being an amusing board as they had a PRC 'guess' in the trump suit to make 7 or -2 (you can safety play for 6), so we were close to scoring +9 for missing game.

I think if partner wants to go slamming in he should just raise to 4c, instead of tarting about with hearts. All the other good players I asked though said partner's sequence was forcing. I'm unrepentant. Comments?

This is a matter of partnership agreement. Without previous discussion, I think that both partners need to be aware of the possibility of potentially ambiguous sequences. It might have been more practical for you to bid 4 rather than 3, but your partner's bidding was particularly dangerous: he should realise that there is a possibility that 4 might seem NF to you, so it's silly to risk it when his hand is close to a slam force.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 23:12

I agree with Jallerton. If we leave aside what's best theoretically, without agreement, passing 4 Cl probably was not the best strategy. You may lose +130 and end up minus, true, however the consequences may be much more costly if pd is not in same page with us.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 04:15

I preface this comment by stating I have never played IJS, but if someone asked me to, I would say that 3 was a natural rebid, and I would expect something like a 5422 shape. When I give preference to spades rather than NT, he takes me for a 2236 shape without good diamonds, and on his 5413 shape he correctly puts me back to 4. This has to be to play.

Non-forcing, therefore, in the absence of agreements. If opener has good hand, he can always bid game or slam or ace ask, as I have described my hand pretty well, or if he wants to force more out of me and still keep a slam option - have I got 3 card heart support? - he can bid 4. 4 must be to play.

#13 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-19, 04:21

View Postwank, on 2014-August-18, 04:44, said:

...they had a PRC 'guess'...

What's that?

#14 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-27, 15:02

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-August-19, 04:21, said:

What's that?

PRC must stand for Principle of Restricted Choice.

'Guess' was presumably in inverted commas because the odds favour the winning play over the losing one.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users