BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding disaster! - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Bidding disaster!

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2014-August-16, 06:42

We went 3 down doubled vulnerable. I know I should have kept quiet. The result and everyone else at the table said so afterwards, but I was in no state to take anything in. I didn't overcall 3as I thought my hand was better in defence, but when partner bid 4I panicked and thought my spades might be better. As it turned out he had a singleton K. I'd appreciate thoughts.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-16, 06:59

Partner hasn't overcalled 3 so doesn't have a real hand. Expect partner to have long diamonds but no great strength, while spades might play better, it won't play much better and 4 isn't doubled yet.

#3 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2014-August-16, 10:10

Should have said that the 2opening was a weak 2! :unsure:

#4 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-August-16, 10:25

One wonders what PD has to enter the auction vul at the 4 level after passing but surely it must be a tons of and strength that he didn't feel was worth overcalling 3 the first time.

Your pass over 4 should be automatic. Don't panic when you don't fit PD's suit when he has to have a fist full of them.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-16, 16:10

I would blame 4 more than 4. WTH kind of hand makes a balancing 4m vul vs. not? I would never make such a call, have never heard the call by my partners, so who knows what you are supposed to expect opposite? 4 at least has the upside of game if it makes, you do have 7 of them! It rates to work out better than passing if partner merely missorted their hand and forgot to overcall 3 having not seen an ace or whatever. How do you know they are going to double you, especially how can you anticipate the weak two bidder doubling you? So I have more sympathy for 4 than the other posters, I think they are somewhat resulting knowing how the auction continues. It would have been better if you had posted the hand with 4d p ? to you and asked opinions on what to do, without showing how the rest of the hand played out.

Don't know why they aren't doubling 4 which was probably down at least two if not just as much..

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-16, 19:38

I am % 100 with Cyber on this one.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-August-16, 23:28

I refuse to play with people like your partner. They are not bridge players. Passing and then bidding 4D is absurd. If you don't have a 3D bid, you certainly do not have a 4D bid under ANY circumstances.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-17, 02:25

View Postthe hog, on 2014-August-16, 23:28, said:

I refuse to play with people like your partner. They are not bridge players. Passing and then bidding 4D is absurd. If you don't have a 3D bid, you certainly do not have a 4D bid under ANY circumstances.

What do you bid with a hand where you don't have the defence for a 3 bid but have a lot of playing strength in diamonds ? KQJ 8th or 9th and a king or so.

#9 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-17, 09:49

4♦ isn't doubled yet.

Yep. That's the takeaway. When you have to choose between going down in this, vs that, and one is undoubled....

#10 User is offline   deborahh 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-August-17, 10:41

It's always important to be the least wrong partner. Pass 4 so you can blame your partner when you go down. ;)

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-17, 10:48

What did partner have?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-August-18, 01:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-August-17, 02:25, said:

What do you bid with a hand where you don't have the defence for a 3 bid but have a lot of playing strength in diamonds ? KQJ 8th or 9th and a king or so.

I would bid an immediate 3D with the hand you quote. Bidding 4D here is taking the last guess. Why do you think 3D promises defence?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 01:24

Strange that it was opener who doubled. Was it meant as an action double?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-18, 07:32

View Postthe hog, on 2014-August-18, 01:14, said:

I would bid an immediate 3D with the hand you quote. Bidding 4D here is taking the last guess. Why do you think 3D promises defence?

Because I like partner to be able to double from time to time, here he can have 4 tricks and still not be beating it.

Bid weak over strong bids and strong over weak bids, I'm not showing strength I don't have over a weak bid.

#15 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 10:02

Just because you overcall 3 doesn't mean you are obligated to leave 3 doubled in? (Plus 3 doubled would be responsive for a lot of people)

I just don't see why choosing a delayed sequence rates to improve your results.

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 10:13

Ok but partner might double 4h which you pull. And then he doubles 5h.
I would expect partner to have eight diamonds. He thinks I must have a 16 count with four hearts or such since opps didn't bid game . And he hopes that I can raise . RHO must have been joking with his 3h bid . maybe he felt from partners vibrations that he would balance against 3h. But his pass over 4d is strange
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-18, 10:27

View PostStephen Tu, on 2014-August-18, 10:02, said:

Just because you overcall 3 doesn't mean you are obligated to leave 3 doubled in? (Plus 3 doubled would be responsive for a lot of people)

I just don't see why choosing a delayed sequence rates to improve your results.

Partly because the auction doesn't go 2-3-3-3N giving me a horrible decision as to whether partner's taken me for a real hand, boy it's going to play well opposite Axxx, AKx, xx, 10xxx, but if I pull, partner will have something like Kxx, Axx, Ax, J10xxx and 3N will be cold but 5 won't make.

#18 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 11:07

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-August-18, 10:27, said:

Partly because the auction doesn't go 2-3-3-3N giving me a horrible decision as to whether partner's taken me for a real hand, boy it's going to play well opposite Axxx, AKx, xx, 10xxx, but if I pull, partner will have something like Kxx, Axx, Ax, J10xxx and 3N will be cold but 5 won't make.

I thought the example hand we are discussing was KQJ-8th and another king; that hand has play for 3N opposite either hand.

But even so, I don't understand your point. If you think 3N is odds on, you can pass it, and you are doing better than passing-and-pulling to 4. If you think 3N is odds against, you can pull to 5 and you are even with the delayed sequence.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#19 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-August-18, 13:53

They have called out the de-icers in hell! I agree with cyber on a thread.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#20 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 15:04

View Postthe hog, on 2014-August-16, 23:28, said:

I tend to agree. And strangely, there are a LOT of people like this in the MBC. I even have a standard profile note for them, "delayed entry". They pass at their first chance to overcall, then come in later at a higher level. Usually it indicates a junk hand with long suit, although a rickety five card suit is by no means rare. Adapting to this "style" is an .. art, you might say. Not a skill that applies to flight B or above though.

Anyway, I really do want to see north's hand in this case. The whole deal too while you are at it, the EW calls may also be of interest.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users