BBO Discussion Forums: Stuck for a rebid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Stuck for a rebid After opening 1 Spade with 5422 and 13 HCP

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2014-August-16, 01:14

We play a weak No Trump. I opened 1and partner replied 2. I couldn't think of any other reply than 2, which I was not comfortable with. Would you open 1NT instead, even though it is not fully balanced?

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-16, 01:30

I normally don't open 1nt with 5M422 hands. 5M332 all the time, but 5M422 nearly never. However, this hand is really quite good for it with lots of tenace lead values, something in every suit, and strong doubletons. Depending on your agreements with partner any of 2, 2nt, or 3 might be a fine rebid over 2. Is 2 a game forcing response, or only 10+?

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-16, 02:01

In an Acol context, this is a routine 2 rebid, as Mbodell says, depends on system though. I wouldn't open 1N.

#4 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-16, 02:33

I think you did just fine in the auction. When opening we should have some plan of what we rebid over partners expected response. A 3C bid at this point is an overbid, so it leaves you with a choice of 2S or 2NT IMO. I do not like to rebid 5 suits, but I am less fond of playing in NT with the lack of aces. Aces are great in NT because you can often prevent a fast entry to the opponents established suit.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-16, 03:23

View Postmcphee, on 2014-August-16, 02:33, said:

A 3C bid at this point is an overbid, so it leaves you with a choice of 2S or 2NT IMO.

2NT shows the same values as 3, or at least nearly so, in Acol. So as Cyberyeti says, you have to rebid 2 unless you are willing to open 1NT with this hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-16, 03:25

double post
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-16, 03:42

In Acol (and most other weak NT systems) this is a non-forcing 2 rebid, as you are not strong enough for anything else. If you play 2/1 as GF, then you could agree to rebid 2NT or 3 on hands like this. But IMO it would still be better to play those bids as showing stronger hands, and rebid a forcing 2 on this type.

I don't mind having an agreement to open a 12-14 1NT with 5422 hands, but I wouldn't like to open this sort of hand with 1NT without such an agreement. Especially so if our follow ups didn't include a way to ask for 5 card majors.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-25, 21:39

I tend to EricK's view but it is sufficiently close that I would go with whatever partner prefers. Opening 1N is certainly no crime. Nor is rebidding 2S.

A distinction is drawn between rebidding a suit depending on whether or not you have been forced to bid. When partner forces you, he needs to appreciate that length and quality of suit may be shaded. Yes you should have a "prepared rebid" but some allowance is necessary for space consumed by partner. In a non-forcing situation you should strive to avoid rebidding a 5 carder (often by passing)

Possibly drifting off topic but I play a LOT of robot tourneys on BBO. It is a rather artificial environment and a lot of abnormal influences are brought to bear. For one thing the opening 1N range is 15-17. The robot will never open this shape 1N but from experience I would only ever open it 1N (in range). And no, there is no systemic method to expose the 5 card major (tactically, I may even deny 4 of them in response to stayman)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users