BBO Discussion Forums: new BBOWIN .LIN files contain only one hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new BBOWIN .LIN files contain only one hand

#1 User is offline   EWeber 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-August-15, 03:03

Hi,

I am using the old download version of BBO mainly for one important feature that is not in the online version: I can automatically record all hands I have played in a tournament in one file. This is very helpful, because I use BBO for training purposes and going through files online is much more work for me than scrolling through the hands offline with Netbridgevu.exe.

This week I have played a tournament using bbowin and found unusable lin files on my new notebook where only one deal is shown. Old files however are displayed correctly. Does this problem have to do with a change in the BBO software or could the new notebook (Windows 8.1) be the reason for the lin files that are not being saved in the way I am used to?

Thanks for any help

Elke

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-15, 14:49

There hasn't been a change to the download BBO software in years, so it sounds like an issue of compatibility with the new Windows version. Many of the changes have to do with security, so there may be a permissions problem that's preventing BBO from modifying the file as additional hands are played. I'm not very familiar with Windows access control, but maybe if you investigate in this area you can find a solution (because we're extremely unlikely to make any changes to the application to resolve it).

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-August-15, 18:33

View PostEWeber, on 2014-August-15, 03:03, said:

Hi,

I am using the old download version of BBO mainly for one important feature that is not in the online version: I can automatically record all hands I have played in a tournament in one file. This is very helpful, because I use BBO for training purposes and going through files online is much more work for me than scrolling through the hands offline with Netbridgevu.exe.

This week I have played a tournament using bbowin and found unusable lin files on my new notebook where only one deal is shown. Old files however are displayed correctly. Does this problem have to do with a change in the BBO software or could the new notebook (Windows 8.1) be the reason for the lin files that are not being saved in the way I am used too.
Thanks for any help

Elke

If you can't figure out what is causing youir problem, I can provide you with a solution to get all the hands you play on bbo in a single excel file where all you have to do is copy the column with the hands and paste into a notepad and save as a lin file. There are some advantages to this approach as well, as the excel spreadsheet has all the contracts, partners, opponents, results, etc so you use excel filter function to pull out hands that you want (slams, based on opening bids, your poor results, etc).

In addition to excel, you will also need the browser firefox with the greasemonkey addition. You can email at inquiry at bridgebase dot com or private message me here if you are interested. BTW, as far as the netbridgevu program goes, I use it from time-to-time, including a test right now on two different computers. On both it worked just fine and saved the hands with all the hands, bidding and play, so whatever is going on, it is not what Barmar suggest. This was on Windows 8.1 machines. IT also works on windows 8 and 7 computers from lots of previous experience.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   EWeber 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-August-16, 13:43

It seems I have found the solution. I tried to execute the program as admin (got a private hint from someone who had read this) and then all was fine. After this it was only a small 2nd step to find out that the folder I had transfered from my old Notebook had a write protection. Without this I don't need admin rights, all is fine again. Thanks for your help.

Elke

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-20, 19:50

Separate point but I do not understand what advantage you perceive in having the hands saved locally over having them saved on the server? Furthermore, if you do require them saved locally then using Bridge Captain's (free) Double Dummy Solver (which allows for bulk import of MyHands records) probably serves the same purpose and then some. This also would allow you to use the web version.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-22, 15:23

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-August-20, 19:50, said:

Separate point but I do not understand what advantage you perceive in having the hands saved locally over having them saved on the server? Furthermore, if you do require them saved locally then using Bridge Captain's (free) Double Dummy Solver (which allows for bulk import of MyHands records) probably serves the same purpose and then some. This also would allow you to use the web version.

Now if only that were available on a Mac!

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-22, 15:36

View PostFM75, on 2014-August-22, 15:23, said:

Now if only that were available on a Mac!

Personally I would like to have something like that on Android, in preference to a Mac. But that is understandable since my various machines are either Win or Android. I can understand Mac users wanting a Mac based product, but I also thought (from ignorance here, not having ever had a Mac) that these days Mac users have software that allow them to run Win programs (a facility not available to Android users)

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users