• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this right?

#1 User is offline   Bad_Wolf 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Mathematics, history.

Posted 2014-August-14, 21:42

Over on BW a during a discussion pertaining to ruling on a hesitation that might have influenced an opponent's play a contributor posted:

"
1) You take advantage of the hesitation at your own risk. So you keep your bad score.

2) If they could have known their hesitation might mislead declarer, they get a score adjustment.

1 and 2 seem to conflict, but IMO they do not. It just means both sides get the worst of it. So I'd give the pro a bad score and if I decided it was a “bad hesitation” I'd tack on a penalty, but I would not give you any relief. I can't give you a guarantee of the right guess just because they hesitate."

Is this view correct?
If my deliberate mannerisms designed to deceive an opponent have the desired effect then they get no redress?

Seems a bit harsh to me, after all it can be difficult to put opposition hijinks like this completely out of ones mind.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-15, 14:57

View PostBad_Wolf, on 2014-August-14, 21:42, said:

If my deliberate mannerisms designed to deceive an opponent have the desired effect then they get no redress?

Isn't that what "at your own risk" means? Or should that only apply if you misconstrue an inadvertent BIT, not a deliberate attempt to deceive?

This means that the TD has to determine whether the hesitator was trying to deceive, not just whether it was a time-sensitive situation where he could have known that a hesitation might mislead.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-15, 14:58

Didn't we have a recent Lamford thread that addressed this type of situation?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users