• You cannot reply to this topic

Show Me. O.K., that's enough.

#101 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-August-28, 19:49

View Postbillw55, on 2014-August-28, 13:52, said:

It is recurring situation in the USA. Come election day, the voters don't actually back up the things they say they want done. I don't know why or what to do about it.

This problem exists in Ferguson. The heavily black majority population say they want racial awareness and parity. They could easily elect a black mayor and black city council. But they don't, for some reason. Why not? Our political system offers elections as the way to fix such problems but the people don't seem to use this tool effectively.

The problem is that most liberals live in concentrated urban areas so their voting block amounts to overkill while conservative tend to live in more rural areas - it then becomes easier to gerrymander the districts so that conservatives are elected a disproportionate amount of the time when compared to the total votes.

From Cleveland.com

Even though most Ohio voters backed Democrats in this year’s presidential and U.S. Senate elections, new congressional maps designed to protect GOP incumbents kept three quarters of the state’s U.S. House of Representatives seats in Republican hands.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#102 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 06:08

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-August-28, 19:49, said:

The problem is that most liberals live in concentrated urban areas so their voting block amounts to overkill while conservative tend to live in more rural areas - it then becomes easier to gerrymander the districts so that conservatives are elected a disproportionate amount of the time when compared to the total votes.

Yes, gerrymandering is a problem, and can explain some results. It probably does not explain why in Ferguson, which is 2/3 black, only one of six council members is black, and the mayor is also white.

And then, sometimes urban concentration is not a disadvantage. In the 2010 Illinois governor election, Bill Brady won more counties than Pat Quinn: 98-4. However, one of Quinn's four was Cook county (that's Chicago for those unaware), and the winner was based on straight vote totals. So he retained the office. Fair or not?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#103 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 07:15

View Postbillw55, on 2014-August-29, 06:08, said:

Yes, gerrymandering is a problem, and can explain some results. It probably does not explain why in Ferguson, which is 2/3 black, only one of six council members is black, and the mayor is also white.

And then, sometimes urban concentration is not a disadvantage. In the 2010 Illinois governor election, Bill Brady won more counties than Pat Quinn: 98-4. However, one of Quinn's four was Cook county (that's Chicago for those unaware), and the winner was based on straight vote totals. So he retained the office. Fair or not?

I guess it is a bit weird. Wyoming and California each are entitled to two Senators, which violates my sense of fair representation. But with two seats per state, elected statewide, this fends off gerrymandering. So what's right? I live in a Congressional district that has been gerrymandered by Democrats so I am represented by Chris Van Hollen. I'm fine with Mr. Van Hollen but the map of my district, see http://en.wikipedia....sional_district, is an embarrassment. It looks like something from a book on fractals.

As to Ferguson and places like it, we need to emphasize practicality. I have read a little, but only a little, about what it has been like there. The school Brown went to had lost its state accreditation. So they sent the kids elsewhere. The kids did not much fit in but some were succeeding. Then they had some sort of state takeover of the original school, and they brought the kids back there. Regardless of their wishes, no choice offered. Talk about being jerked around. Of course this is going to lead to trouble, who on earth would expect otherwise. Kids, especially those in need, have a good sense of who is trying to help them and who isn't.
Ken

#104 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-August-29, 07:39

A new article by Flynn and Winning show how children. hundreds and hundreds of children are raped over and over again and the police arrested and convicted something close to zero of the eager paying customers.

The race card caused the police to turn away over years and years.

The lawmaker Denis MacShane who represented the area says there was a culture of not wanting to rock the boat.

#105 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-August-29, 09:03

View Postkenberg, on 2014-August-29, 07:15, said:

But with two seats per state, elected statewide, this fends off gerrymandering. So what's right?

Proportional representation is one option.

Or you could elect a single (or two maybe) senators per state and give them votes proportional to the population size of their state.

Or adopt Richard's idea: Letting a computer program do the gerrymandering, making the districts as compact as possible which is an objetive criterion leaving no room for partisan criteria.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#106 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-29, 09:33

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-August-28, 16:53, said:

Where are these gun ranges with automatic weapons?

The one where the 9-year-old girl accidentally killed her instructor this week is in Arizona.

#107 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 09:59

View Postbarmar, on 2014-August-29, 09:33, said:

The one where the 9-year-old girl accidentally killed her instructor this week is in Arizona.

In my opinion that "instructor" killed himself. I feel bad for the girl, she will suffer over it.
-gwnn

#108 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-August-29, 10:01

Reading

http://www.washingto...politics&wpmm=1

and then

http://www.washingto...4093_story.html

can give one a sense of unreality.

If I understand it correctly, 9 year old kids can do target practice with Uzis but they can't play in the park by themselves. I am having difficulty following the logic of this. Perhaps they should take the Uzi with them when they go to the park, then it would be ok?

Childhood was simpler when I was a child.
Ken

#109 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 10:02

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-August-29, 09:03, said:

Proportional representation is one option.

Or you could elect a single (or two maybe) senators per state and give them votes proportional to the population size of their state.

Or adopt Richard's idea: Letting a computer program do the gerrymandering, making the districts as compact as possible which is an objetive criterion leaving no room for partisan criteria.

The whole point of the Senate is that it is not proportional to population. That's what the House is for.

Drawing House boundaries by computer would be fun, just to hear the incumbents howl. Heh.

-gwnn

#110 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 11:10

View Postkenberg, on 2014-August-29, 10:01, said:

If I understand it correctly, 9 year old kids can do target practice with Uzis but they can't play in the park by themselves. I am having difficulty following the logic of this. Perhaps they should take the Uzi with them when they go to the park, then it would be ok?

Obviously. A cell phone is not sufficient protection for a 9 year old, but an Uzi would have done the job.

(Scary to think that there are people in the USA who actually think like that.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#111 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 11:31

I guess billw does not believe in democracy.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#112 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 12:37

View Postcherdano, on 2014-August-29, 11:31, said:

What a strange thing to say.
-gwnn

#113 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2014-August-29, 12:55

My first reaction is to say that popular vote should prevail - but I am open to a convincing argument to the contrary.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#114 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2014-August-29, 13:01

View Postcherdano, on 2014-August-29, 11:31, said:

Democracy is basically mob rule. The U.S. is a representative republic, with certain inalienable minority rights protected from the religious crazies. :P

#115 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-29, 13:36

View PostWinstonm, on 2014-August-29, 13:01, said:

Democracy is basically mob rule. The U.S. is a representative republic, with certain inalienable minority rights protected from the religious crazies. :P

And those same rights also protect the religious crazies. Seems fair.
-gwnn

#116 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-August-29, 14:04

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-August-29, 09:03, said:

FWIW, my thoughts on districting have progressed a bit further over the past few years...
If you're going to have districts, draw them by computer. However, I'm starting to believe that the entire idea of a district is flawed.

I think that I'd prefer a mechanism by which each "party" nominated a slate of electees and a rank ordering.

Let's assume that you're the "Purple" party, putting together a slate for the 2014 election
New York has 27 congressional seats, so you'll need to nominate a total of 27 candidates.

For each 2.7% of the vote that is cast for the Purple Party, one of your electors is put into office.
(Electors are put into office based on the rank ordering that the party decides)

Candidates who want to go it alone and run without associating themselves with a party can, of course, do so...

I think that this, combined with an instant run off system, is even better...
Alderaan delenda est

#117 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-August-29, 15:51

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-August-29, 11:10, said:

Obviously. A cell phone is not sufficient protection for a 9 year old, but an Uzi would have done the job.

(Scary to think that there are people in the USA who actually think like that.)

Rik

“Had he been behind her or on her strong side, probably nobody would have gotten hurt,” said Philip Van Cleave, a shooting instructor and president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a pro-gun rights group.

Yes, I see his point. If you give an Uzi to a 9 year old, you must remember to stand behind her instead of beside her. Regardless of just how crazy Americans are or are not, this guy is a true outlier.
Ken

#118 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-30, 08:29

View Postkenberg, on 2014-August-29, 15:51, said:

Regardless of just how crazy Americans are or are not, this guy is a true outlier.

Just for the record: I think Americans are just as crazy as Europeans. They are just crazy in different respects.

As an example, I think the American love for guns and the distrust of the government are relics from the 18th century.
At the same time, I find the European idea that everybody should be taken care of by the government completely mad. I would limit that to people who are not able to take care of themselves (temporarily or permanently).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#119 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-August-30, 09:03

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-August-29, 14:04, said:

Let's assume that you're the "Purple" party, putting together a slate for the 2014 election
New York has 27 congressional seats, so you'll need to nominate a total of 27 candidates.

For each 2.7% 1/27 of the vote that is cast for the Purple Party, one of your electors is put into office.

FYP. Also known as proportional representation
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#120 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2014-August-30, 13:19

The United Nations has now taken a stance:

GENEVA, Aug 29 (Reuters) - The U.N. racism watchdog urged the United States on Friday to halt the excessive use of force by police after the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager by a white policeman touched off riots in Ferguson, Missouri.

Minorities, particularly African Americans, are victims of disparities, the U.N. Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) said after examining the U.S. record.

"Racial and ethnic discrimination remains a serious and persistent problem in all areas of life from de facto school segregation, access to health care and housing," Noureddine Amir, CERD committee vice chairman, told a news briefing.

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users