BBO Discussion Forums: South's bidding descriptions are truncated - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

South's bidding descriptions are truncated Trying to find the pattern

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-13, 12:50

This diagram is copied from MyHands, first without extra room to the right, then with the extra room:

As you can see, the descriptions of South's bids are truncated. This code starts with "lin=pn".

This is the same hand, played at another table and copied from MyHands. The descriptions are not truncated. It's my understanding that this means the human is using the download version of BBO, not the web version. The code starts with "bbo=y&lin=pn"

This hand was still active at my table (in Video Bridge, if it matters), and I exported to a tinyurl and copied from there:
As you can see, the descriptions of South's bids are right-justified and not truncated. This code starts with "sn=" and does not include "lin".

I will have to look for the examples of where increasing the diagram width helped.

#2 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-13, 23:07

I see something slightly different - and perhaps I am just having "old eyes" issues. But, the diagrams with truncated descriptions both have scroll bars in the bidding box and the non truncated ones do not have scroll bars.
So, we simply announce that all South players must not use conventional bids in long auctions! Problem solved.
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-14, 11:02

It's just coincidence that the truncated descriptions are in long auctions that need a scroll bar. If you decode the URL, you'll see that the descriptions are truncated in the LIN.

This is due to the way the server gets the descriptions from the robot. It's different depending on whether GIB is running on the user's PC, as happens when playing against robots in the MBC with the download version, or running on the server, when using the web/mobile version or playing in a robot tourney. In one case, the size of the description field is limited to 40 characters.

#4 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-14, 21:31

Now you just went and spoiled it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users