• You cannot reply to this topic

Defensive Problem

#21 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-18, 07:31

View Postgnasher, on 2014-August-17, 05:14, said:

Aren't I North?

You are, but it is South who led against East's Four Spades. It is South who may have have six or seven diamonds, and North who made the takeout double of spades and who has the defensive problem at trick one, which it seems that only jallerton solved.

If you mean that North will think South would have bid Four Diamonds with Jxxxxxx, then he might well. Even more reason for him to play South for six, unless the lead has to be systemically from seven.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#22 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 14:46

View Postlamford, on 2014-August-18, 07:31, said:

You are, but it is South who led against East's Four Spades. It is South who may have have six or seven diamonds, and North who made the takeout double of spades and who has the defensive problem at trick one, which it seems that only jallerton solved.

If you mean that North will think South would have bid Four Diamonds with Jxxxxxx, then he might well. Even more reason for him to play South for six, unless the lead has to be systemically from seven.

Suppose that NS play a method where South's lead shows how many diamonds South has. If South shows an odd number of diamonds, North will play South for five diamonds, not seven. Which is where I came in.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#23 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 15:37

View Postgnasher, on 2014-August-18, 14:46, said:

Suppose that NS play a method where South's lead shows how many diamonds South has. If South shows an odd number of diamonds, North will play South for five diamonds, not seven. Which is where I came in.

That depends on whether North judges South to have the gnasher bidding style or the rhm bidding style.

#24 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-18, 16:02

View Postjallerton, on 2014-August-18, 15:37, said:

That depends on whether North judges South to have the gnasher bidding style or the rhm bidding style.

Right. But the solution might be to be able to distinguish between 5, 6 or 7, although your good points about the possible need to retain the lead and to tell partner where the queen is means that I would lead the jack in a similar situation, as I would be at sixes and sevens in working out these count leads anyway. And I don't think South would jump after the redouble with only five diamonds and a bad hand, facing a passed partner.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users