• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-11, 12:09

2H showing 3 cards is enough after the 4th Suit GF :
East
1D - 1H
1S - 2C!
2H - 3H ( extra length )
5C ( Exclusion-RKC ) - 5D ( 0 or 3, excluding Ace )
5S ( Q-ask ) - 6H ( no Q or no 7 cards )
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-August-11, 12:13

This depends a lot on what your unstated agreements are. There are several thoughts, though.

First to mind is a 4 rebid. To me, this seems really appealing, but only if it will be taken as this hand type -- six solid diamonds, the four spades you mentioned earlier, and a heart fit, and hence a void in diamonds. But, that call might not work if (1) partner won't view 4 that way, or (2) if you "need" a heart honor per agreement.

What about 3? I don't know what that means when 2 is GF. I doubt that most would know what the nuance is, either.

What about 4? If 4 makes sense, then 4 must be wrong, suggesting non-solid diamonds.

What about 3? I would assume 3 to be a Bluhmer, and hence wrong. I mention it simply because that option suggests that either 4 or 4 would tend to imply a spade control, for lack of a Bluhmer.

What about 2? This is the default without more...

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 16:08

Premature heart agreement is not good, note that if the clubs are Axx (or even KQx) rather than QJx, 7 is excellent (so is 7N in the first case), 7 less so.

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-August-11, 17:29

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-August-11, 16:08, said:

Premature heart agreement is not good, note that if the clubs are Axx (or even KQx) rather than QJx, 7 is excellent (so is 7N in the first case), 7 less so.

My thinking also, which is why I really like the 4D option.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 18:21

2h

I fail to see any reason to eat up valuable bidding space since we are in a game forcing
auction. Sure I would make the same bid with 4342 and dirt minimum (assuming our system
did not require us to rebid 1n vs 1s that is) but so what?? In the absence of special
agreements most other bids will fall short in some capacity since it is difficult to show
6 solid diamonds club void and xxx hearts.

We are not even certain responder has 5+ hearts. We have no idea where responder is headed
with the 2c bid so lets keep the bidding nice and low for now we can always show more later
on in the auction.

I might consider a 3h bid with a hand like 4441 or 4450 the solid 6 card dia suit has so much
potential it renders splinter bidding mostly useless.

I do think the 4d bid has some potential as long as it shows solid diamonds (6) and 3 hearts.
Sometimes that information alone is enough to get responder to drive to slam BUT (kenrexford) it is
not "normal" and there is no guarantee your partner would red it that way. I see no reason to promise
a heart honor since the advent of RKC keep us out of most slams with poor trumps.

#7 User is offline   0 Subrata 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-August-12, 03:18

2H

#8 User is offline   AreyHakaal 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-August-12, 04:37

Me and my P would bid like this.1D-2H-2S-2NT-3D-3H-4H-6H .Just to clarify 2H shows slam ambition and a strong suit.
Opener can not pass 2NT,a bid which shows a club guard and asks opener to clarify his hand further.Old Fashioned did someone say?

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-12, 09:31

Surely 1-1-1-2-2-2-4 (or even 5 exclusion) gets over what's going on quite nicely and takes advantage of the space the GF 4SF creates.

#10 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-12, 13:31

Nice hand. My old friend Don is sensible as always, while gszes' comments mystify me - I cannot hold 4 Hearts having rebid 1S in 2/1 or SAYC for that matter. Certainly 4D would be ideal but I lack that agreement and am not sure I'd correctly interpret it myself if on the other side of the table. And yes, Arey is quite correct that a Soloway SJS (Type 3) would have been an ideal initial response, but that didn't happen. I bid 3H. I take up room to show 5+ D, 4S, 3H and extra values, exactly what I have. I will trust partner to make sound use of that information.

#11 User is offline   lrussell 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-13, 08:26

A SJS in hearts would have been easier.
However I'll offer this Voidwood sequence

1 - 1
1 - 2
2 - 3
5 - 5
5 - 6
P

2 - Partner might be 4-4 in the majors so 2 leaves room to discover what partner has
3 - 2 would set spades as trumps - 4 would be to play - 3 sets trumps slamish
5 - Exclusion RKC (Voidwood) - just need to know about AKQ and A
5 - 0-3 Key Cards not counting Ace (5 for the 1430 players)
5 - Queen ask
6 - No queen

Edit: I just noticed this is the same as Two4bridge's post #1 with the exception of the explanation of the 3 bid.
Lorne Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users