Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge Club Etiquette

#1 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-09, 14:23

Suppose you show up to a bridge club and very few people are there. In a recent case the director was about to call around to find a fill-in to make a second table. If you're not excited about playing such a small game, is it rude to leave? And how to avoid such situations in future?
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#2 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-10, 05:59

It doesn't seem rude to me. I don't see what you can do in the future bar going to larger clubs.

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 21:42

I ran a game for a while that eventually dwindled to less than four tables. We had a regular player who, if there was a half table, would just go home, not wanting to play in a game with a long sitout. Folks were disappointed, but nobody really complained.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-August-12, 01:21

In Lancaster when we had five pairs, if nobody volunteered to go we would chose a pair to kick out by lottery. Because few people would be happy to play in a five pairs movement
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-12, 11:22

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-August-11, 21:42, said:

I ran a game for a while that eventually dwindled to less than four tables. We had a regular player who, if there was a half table, would just go home, not wanting to play in a game with a long sitout. Folks were disappointed, but nobody really complained.

Funny, I would think everyone else would be happy that they still got to play bridge, and no longer had a sitout.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-August-13, 09:21

View Postjeffford76, on 2014-August-12, 11:22, said:

Funny, I would think everyone else would be happy that they still got to play bridge, and no longer had a sitout.

Yeah, but they didn't get to play against one of the better players in the area. B-)

It was a night game. I think that's why it dwindled (and eventually died out). When I arrived in this area some two decades ago, there were night games every night of the week except Saturday and Sunday. Three of them are gone now, and one of the others is dying. The last one is in Canandaigua, some 40 miles away, and is the only game in that town, so it's hanging on, I think.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-13, 09:40

View Postawm, on 2014-August-09, 14:23, said:

Suppose you show up to a bridge club and very few people are there. In a recent case the director was about to call around to find a fill-in to make a second table. If you're not excited about playing such a small game, is it rude to leave?

I think it depends on how it is done.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-23, 10:53

View Postawm, on 2014-August-09, 14:23, said:

Suppose you show up to a bridge club and very few people are there. In a recent case the director was about to call around to find a fill-in to make a second table. If you're not excited about playing such a small game, is it rude to leave? And how to avoid such situations in future?

I would suggest a team game if it's only 2-3 tables and play if they accept. After all I am already there to play. But I don't think leaving is rude.
Best way to prevent is to call the club and ask for their average tables for that day and time I guess.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-23, 17:08

It does feel "wrong" to leave, but a 2-table movement doesn't sound like much fun.

ofc, it isn't like 4 tables will delight the heart :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users