Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid or Pass

#1 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-09, 06:44

North/south agreements pretty standard, matchpoint scoring. Do you just pass and wait to collect 200 or 300 or do you rebid spades.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-09, 06:53

This is one of the rare hands that I would strongly consider passing with a 6-5 and white and only at 2 level. Pd will not have 3 card spade most of the time.

However I doubt W will pass 2 hearts. I expect him to introduce a minor suit or NT bid. (Pd passing dbl, rho bidding like he is not too excited and I have barely 13 hcps, someone must have stacked those hcps) So expecting to defend 2 hearts is optimistic IMHO. I would still pass though.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-09, 08:35

Agree to pass. Seems like pard is something like 2-1-5-5 or 2-0-5-6. He could even have a singleton spade.

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-August-09, 08:51

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-August-09, 08:35, said:

Agree to pass. Seems like pard is something like 2-1-5-5 or 2-0-5-6. He could even have a singleton spade.

He hasn't passed it out yet either, you may yet defend 2 or 3m doubled.

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-10, 07:41

all I need is a stinking spade 9 from p (too much to ask?) to make this hand worth 6-7 tricks
at favorable. Not too much to ask for a bit of preemptive ability (I do not want my lho to make
a nice easy and LOW 2s cue bid since I suspect they are strong much better to make them cue at
the 3 level. Low risk potentially high reward that's my kind of bid.

2s

#6 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-August-10, 12:11

Let's see... partner didn't raise or redouble, made no free bid, and RHO has 4+.
I'll bid 2 here to have partner stay off bidding a minor suit now. 2 also has the effect of inducing a 3 raise so I will get to hit s at a higher level - what I really want to do.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 00:10

yes i bid.

if lho passes, i don't want partner bidding a minor, which he surely will do (if lho can't move again, partner must have some modest values).

anyway, i have a decent hand in terms of playing strength especially if lho leads a heart (though yes, considering our lack of minor honours, he likely has a ak/kq combo in the minors)

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-11, 01:54

well, inhibiting pard from bidding a disastrous 3m makes sense.. it didn't cross my mind.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 07:39

View Postwank, on 2014-August-11, 00:10, said:

yes i bid.

if lho passes, i don't want partner bidding a minor, which he surely will do (if lho can't move again, partner must have some modest values).

anyway, i have a decent hand in terms of playing strength especially if lho leads a heart (though yes, considering our lack of minor honours, he likely has a ak/kq combo in the minors)

Why would anyone introduce a minor at 3 level, when he had perfect position to introduce it at 2 level previous round? And why we assume it's our pd who is about to introduce something? LHO is still on live seat.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 08:50

My first thought was like Wank's: I want to discourage partner from bidding 3m or 2NT.

But I am not sure how i=big the risk is. LHO is probably going to bid a minor suit, or maybe 2NT. If partner bids 3 over LHO's 3, I am not unhappy. And if LHO bids 3, partner is not going to bid.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users