• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB 2

#1 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-08, 05:28

I was sitting east. Was it wrong to bid 4S? Wrong to bid 5S? Wrong to bid 4C?
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#2 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-08, 05:50

Hands like this are far easier afterwards than at the table, but I'm not convinced by the 4 bid when partner has not introduced the suit. I think this call is encouraging partner to sacrifice if they bid 5 and I don't think you want to do this at equal vulnerability. I know it is strange to criticise the most successful call in the auction, but I think you are aiming for a small target with it.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-08, 05:53

No real blame, some very slight adjustments to the other hands and 5 makes on the likely A lead.

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-08, 07:45

Seems normal. -200 vs what could be -650 is normal insurance. Too bad 5H is +100.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-August-08, 09:05

whereagles, on 2014-August-08, 07:45, said:

Seems normal. -200 vs what could be -650 is normal insurance. Too bad 5H is +100.

I understand the urge to reply to each and every single topic posted. After all what makes us a good contributer is the number of our total posts! However it's even better to look at the auction and vulnerability and the play/defense before coming to a conclusion about the scores. Disregard if you guys have different awards for doubled undertricks in the zone you are playing.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-08, 09:16

I'm sure I'd bid how both east and west bid. Being 1-1 is often bad, from wests point of view if east is 4216 5S could easily be making. It's a pretty big burn to go down 2 and it's also a burn that you have a diamond trick between you. I think it's just unlucky.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-08, 10:32

I like 4S - allows partner to judge what to do over 5H, as was the case here. And I agree with those who say this is unlucky, because West has no reason to guess his Jxx is worth a full trick. He has a massive double-fit, so has every right to assume the opps do as well. (Partner might have a singleton Q in diamonds, yes, but then again spades might also break 3-1)

As for MrAce's comment - while he has a point, I wonder whether constructive criticism might be a better approach. My reading of whereagles' post is "5SX looks to only be down 200 from West's point of view, with 5H extremely likely to make; pity it's actually one off" (and surely nobody's doubling 5H) - essentially another way of wording what everyone else is saying.

ahydra

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-09, 08:31

Well, I dunno... maybe it's just time for me to move into a more civilized environment.

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 19:57

keep up the good work and don't let a small slip (pounced on by our local cougar) get you down. Plenty of
civilized chat here just try to ignore the rare negative outburst. I agree with the thought that -500 in 5s
should be a reasonable form of insurance. Listening to the bidding your hand rates to have very little to
no defense and it seems unlikely p can produce 3 tricks to set 5h.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-August-11, 22:38

whereagles, on 2014-August-09, 08:31, said:

Well, I dunno... maybe it's just time for me to move into a more civilized environment.

Promises promises :-P (joke)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-15, 00:09

its a large double fit hand, 5 level is where it should be.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users