BBO Discussion Forums: Yet another make 3NT - play problem - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Yet another make 3NT - play problem Hand from a teaching session

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-07, 09:45

Because I am such a nice helpful gal, I was rewarded recently with a few free lessons on BBO from a friend who is also a bridge teacher. I was thrilled to give it a try, and went there confident like a sun flower. Unfortunately, at the end of the session I was feeling more like a rotten carrot, given that I had failed approx 75% of the declarer play problems.

Here's one where I didn't see the right play until the teacher walked me through it:

IMPs. Just make the contract, nothing tricky. Lead is Q

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-07, 09:57

Edit: garbage deleted, serves me right for failing to count properly, I thought I had 8 off the top not 7,

#3 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-07, 10:03

Probably not what your teacher wants but I would always duck the first spade irl.

Spoiler

The artist formerly known as jlall

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-07, 10:05

I like problems like these. Everyday, realistic hands add up to far more IMPs than newspaper deals.

Spoiler

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-07, 10:27

Yeah billw's line must be right, I forgot spades might be 3-3 lol. That has to be more likely than Qx of diamonds offside obviously. It also preserves lots of squeeze/endplay chances if they mess up.

#6 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-August-07, 13:13

Like Bill showed, there are 7 top winners. The deal it would seem would be to try to develop two more tricks and keep as many options open as possible.
It looks like a club switch should be discouraged, so I agree that winning the spade in hand is right. The best source of extra tricks is diamonds, and that is where I start with an immediate diamond finesse. If that wins, I now have three chances for a ninth trick - 3/3 diamonds or spades or the heart finesse. As I want to have as many options as possible, I will test the diamonds. If they are not 3/3, I can still duck a spade, giving myself an extra chance for the spades to be 3/3 or the heart finesse to be on.

If the diamond finesse loses, I am pretty much committed to 3/3 diamonds and a winning heart finesse, unless the opps continue spades which I could duck and then win the 3rd round.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-07, 15:20

The lesson was exactly what Jlall posted first time. Before playing on diamonds find out how many you need. Heart finesse worked, so I had to take the safety play in diams for 3 tricks, and Qx fell offside. I don't think the exact hand matters, it was a prepared deal, but here it is:

#8 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-07, 15:56

Here is a better example of this theme since I think billw's line is better even though I got the "solution."

You get to 6N and they lead a heart. How do you play?

Spoiler

#9 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-07, 17:01

I think teacher was definitely right a few years ago. Nowadays, three card major leads are becoming more popular, so it's pretty close.

The hand is still instructional, and to my way of thinking is more so because of that. Bridge is not a textbook game, even though knowledge is important, and set hands should reflect that a bit more often.

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-07, 17:41

Good point re spade lead. I actually asked him how likely it would be for the lead to be from a 3 carder based on the bidding, and he said assume these opps wouldn't lead that. He just wanted me to see the safety play theme.

I didn't include this hint in the OP because I was curious how it should be played if the lead could be anything.

#11 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2014-August-07, 22:37

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-August-07, 10:03, said:

Probably not what your teacher wants but I would always duck the first spade irl.

Spoiler

The reason that this post received recs was because while the danger of a club shift is severe, if the shift is not found, both finesses, 3-3 splits and the safety play in diamonds may be attempted, if W fails to find the 2nd round shift into opener's declared strength and the first finesse by declarer in hearts works. My calculations are that billw's pure line wins 58%, beating the pure safety play line's 56%. The first round duck gambit loses 15% points when W finds shift, and gains 14% points otherwise.

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-08, 01:49

Definitely not a straightforward hand.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-August-08, 02:37

As an aside - Justin, if you were sitting West and Q held with partner discouraging, do you think you would find the shift on this hand?
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-08, 09:53

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-August-08, 02:37, said:

As an aside - Justin, if you were sitting West and Q held with partner discouraging, do you think you would find the shift on this hand?

AS posted by Diana_Eva, not even Zia would be able to find the switch to Q7 in rather than continue from the solid sequence, without a good look at declarer's hand.

#15 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 17:18

I overestimated the superiority of the mixed strategy ducking line. Declarer can benefit from the safety play after the duck only if West continues , and the finesse works. If W switches to a declarer should postpone the heart finesse and follow the order of the billw's line, also in the very rare chance W shifts to a . If W persists in , declarer takes the in hand and tests the finesse; if it succeeds he takes the safety play A, low to K, low towards the J . If the finesse fails: take the regular finesse in , if that succeeds test both and for 3-3 breaks.

I analyzed that the teacher's line works 56% and billw's line 58%. When West continued the mixed strategy gained 7% on billw's line, a or switch used billw's line, a switch lost 15% on billw's line.

I simulated the hand on Jack 6 25 times. Jack continued 17 times, switched to a low heart 6 times, and switched to a club twice. Based on this, the mixed strategy beats billw's line 4.76% and loses to it 1.2% for a net gain of 3.56%. Thus the winning percentage for this strategy equals 61.6%.

#16 User is offline   yunling 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:meteorology

Posted 2014-August-12, 03:29

View PostBillPatch, on 2014-August-11, 17:18, said:

I simulated the hand on Jack 6 25 times. Jack continued 17 times, switched to a low heart 6 times, and switched to a club twice. Based on this, the mixed strategy beats billw's line 4.76% and loses to it 1.2% for a net gain of 3.56%. Thus the total net gain for this strategy equals 61.6%.

I suspect your simulation is not suitable for the calculation here. When west holds 4 or 5 spades, the chance for him to continue a spade goes up. When west only holds 3 of them, in which case you really want a spade continue, he is more likely to switch to a club.

Also, have you considered the card followed by East? Maybe you should use different strategy when he follows 2 or 8.

#17 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-12, 08:11

I found an improvement in the mixed strategy. After the duck, when W switches to a heart, take the free finesse immediately. If it wins, take the safety play in diamonds. If the finesse loses, win in hand and test spades for 3-3 split. If split works, take the safety play in diamonds. If the split fails, take the diamond finesse and if it wins try the diamond 3-3 split. The chance of this line working is 61.5%. (50% * 81%) + (50% * 36% * 81%) + (50% * 72& * 50% * .36%)

Since Jack shifted to a heart 24% and this is a 3.5% improvement on that portion the mixed strategy gains .84% over the previous line, New winning percentage 62.4%.
Edited new winning percentage to actually show an increase.

#18 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-12, 14:45

View Postyunling, on 2014-August-12, 03:29, said:

I suspect your simulation is not suitable for the calculation here. When west holds 4 or 5 spades, the chance for him to continue a spade goes up. When west only holds 3 of them, in which case you really want a spade continue, he is more likely to switch to a club.

Also, have you considered the card followed by East? Maybe you should use different strategy when he follows 2 or 8.

Observations from performing the simulation. As PhantomSac noted in his first post, it is very difficult for West to find the shift to clubs at trick 2. The critical decision at the table is Will West find the right shift often enough to outweigh the gains by being able to test spades when West doesn't find the right switch. According to PhantomSac's judgment it was so. To put the null argument into figures the critical calculation was Is X(the % of club switch)* 15 >= Y(% of Spade continuation) * 7 + Z(% of heart shifts) * 3.5 ?

From the start of the simulation it was easy to see that regardless of his other 11 cards(Q of spades led J of spades assumed)
the west Jack was unlikely to find the club shift as forecast. Jack's signal from East at trick 1 was uninformative. The obvious shift suit was hearts, so East's main question was which major he wanted. When Jack East had three or four cards in spades, often with the 10, I only saw encouraging signals.

When W did shift to hearts he did not have the Q, but playing for the drop in is very anti-percentage and also never worked. When W shift to clubs he always had two small in that suit.

Regardless of West's spades or East's signal, West continued spades over the 15 to 7 critical ratio so according to the critical calculation the modified mixed strategy appears to be optimal.

Despite knowing that the critical calculation had been satisfied, and PhantomSac's judgment thus proven again I continued with other calculations for the exercise. Since they were redundant to the task at hand. I see no purpose in extending the simulation to defend them.

#19 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-26, 19:42

I am curious to know what factors were fixed and specified and what factors were left as random variables in the sim that you ran.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#20 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-31, 07:35

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-August-26, 19:42, said:

I am curious to know what factors were fixed and specified and what factors were left as random variables in the sim that you ran.

Declarer's hand and dummy specified as given. Q and J of were also specified as being with W based on opening lead. The aucton as specified was given on Jack6.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users