BBO Discussion Forums: What's the problem with encrypted signals? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the problem with encrypted signals?

#1 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-06, 07:28

Why are these banned in most jurisdictions? Are they considered to be too powerful? It shouldn't be a problem of disclosure as they're quite easy to understand.

#2 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 07:43

Why are these banned in most jurisdictions? Are they considered to be too powerful? It shouldn't be a problem of disclosure as they're quite easy to understand. -- wank
*** Deviate from your disclosed agreement, or BIT, now try to defend your play.
Cheats CANNOT be caught if they use encrypted signals.
How then do you suggest ensuring our game's integrity??
Play all competitions on a computer screen?
I imagine that is coming. I even like the idea.
Not here yet.!

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 07:47

where's the cheating?

declarer ruffs a suit at t2. defence have perfect count in the suit and on our convention card it says in such situations we give standard suit preference with an even number and reverse with an odd number. easy to understand and easy to verify afterwards that we weren't fibbing, no?

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-06, 07:59

I thought the point was declarer should have the same info defenders have. With crypted signals defenders know more.

#5 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2014-August-06, 09:00

I guess they don't want to turn bridge into a guessing game.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-August-06, 09:35

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-August-06, 07:59, said:

I thought the point was declarer should have the same info defenders have. With crypted signals defenders know more.

Yes, and no. Declarer should have the same information about the defenders' carding agreements (say, right-side-up or uside down) when they signal. O.K. I nitpick, but that is different from having the same information the defenders have.

It can work against the defenders; they cannot disclose what signalling methods they are using at the moment without telling Declarer which of them holds the encryption key.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2014-August-06, 09:57

lets just say I have 234 of H and declarer is out of H the 3 will be known to my partner as a middle card while declarer wont know, however this bonus knowledge will only apply to H. When you play cryptic the knowledge difference difference is in all the suits, you are using an disclose information to spread the disclosure in all the suits. So its clearly against the spirit of the game.

Its a good example of spirit of the laws vs letter of the laws.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-August-06, 10:27

View Postdake50, on 2014-August-06, 07:43, said:

*** Deviate from your disclosed agreement, or BIT, now try to defend your play.
Cheats CANNOT be caught if they use encrypted signals.
How then do you suggest ensuring our game's integrity??

[removed] Drivel like this almost makes me long for the days when Foo and 32519 were posting.

Learn something about encrypted signals before sharing any more of your wisdom.

(Recognizing that the key to an encrypted signaling system is available for the post mortem would be a good starting point)

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2014-August-07, 09:53
Reason for edit: edited for content

Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 10:45

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-August-06, 10:27, said:

(removed by mod) Drivel like this almost makes me long for the days when Foo and 32519 were posting.

Learn something about encrypted signals before sharing any more of your wisdom.

(Recognizing that the key to an encrypted signaling system is available for the post mortem would be a good starting point)

At the risk of stirring a snake with a stick, I wonder whether I could suggest that while many posters might sympathise with what you say, there will be rather fewer who sympathise with how you say it! It is in the nature of internet forums that different people will contribute to the discussion with different levels of expertise, and it is pointless to expect anything else. Those who wish to avoid driving themselves crazy learn who they expect to take any notice of and who they don't...

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2014-August-07, 09:53

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-August-06, 10:53

I have never been provided with a good explanation of why encrypted signals are not allowed.

They are not against the letter of the law nor the spirit of the law. The declarer has knowledge of the agreement of his opps, right down to the last detail. Only the key to unlocking the encryption is not known to declarer, as that is based on the opponent's length in a suit to which the opponents know declarer's length (and, hence, their partner's length). A typical explanation might go:

"Our signals are based on the number of cards each of us holds in a key suit - a suit in which we know or can assume how many cards you hold. On this hand, since you opened 1NT and bid 2 over your partner's Stayman response. we assume that you hold 4 hearts. We can see that the dummy also holds 4 hearts, so each of us knows (or believes that he knows) how many hearts the other of us holds. The one of us that has an odd number of hearts will play UDCA, and the other will play standard count and attitude. Once our heart suit distribution is known to you, we both revert to UDCA unless there is another suit in which your length has become known. In this case, you ruffed a spade revealing that you held 2 spades originally. Now spades is the key suit, and our signals are based on each of our original length in spades."

To save time, the explanation might be written on a card to be provided to the opps in advance of playing the first board of the round (or the match).

So, declarer has full knowledge of his opps' agreement, even though he does not know which signalling method each of his opps is using. That, of course, is exactly the point of encrypted signals.

#11 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 11:31

I remember when I first joined the forums one of my first topics was a question about this "novel" new idea I'd come up with, which of course was not all that original and turned out to be encrypted signals.

It makes no sense to me that they are not allowed. Often a 'normal' signal will mean more to the defenders than to declarer - they don't seem much different to me.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#12 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 11:58

View PostArtK78, on 2014-August-06, 10:53, said:

I have never been provided with a good explanation of why encrypted signals are not allowed.

They are not against the letter of the law nor the spirit of the law. The declarer has knowledge of the agreement of his opps, right down to the last detail. Only the key to unlocking the encryption is not known to declarer, as that is based on the opponent's length in a suit to which the opponents know declarer's length (and, hence, their partner's length). A typical explanation might go:

"Our signals are based on the number of cards each of us holds in a key suit - a suit in which we know or can assume how many cards you hold. On this hand, since you opened 1NT and bid 2 over your partner's Stayman response. we assume that you hold 4 hearts. We can see that the dummy also holds 4 hearts, so each of us knows (or believes that he knows) how many hearts the other of us holds. The one of us that has an odd number of hearts will play UDCA, and the other will play standard count and attitude. Once our heart suit distribution is known to you, we both revert to UDCA unless there is another suit in which your length has become known. In this case, you ruffed a spade revealing that you held 2 spades originally. Now spades is the key suit, and our signals are based on each of our original length in spades."

To save time, the explanation might be written on a card to be provided to the opps in advance of playing the first board of the round (or the match).

So, declarer has full knowledge of his opps' agreement, even though he does not know which signalling method each of his opps is using. That, of course, is exactly the point of encrypted signals.

Yes and no.
First of all I consider the word law inappropriate, even though many use this word.
A game is played according to rules not according to laws.
What the rules are depend on the rule makers.
If the rule makers decide encrypted signals are not allowed this is a rule.

Now the real question is, is such a rule sensible. One way to look at it is what we understand under the term "full disclosure"
If defenders pass information between them according to signals the question is:
Should declarer have in principle the same access to the interpretation of these signals as the defenders have, subject only to some random factors of the actual deal layout, which makes it sometimes harder for declarer and sometimes harder for the defender to interpret the signal.
If you believe that this is the spirit of the game, then encrypted signals, where the key to decode the encryption is always only known to the defenders, violate this.

Rainer Herrmann

#13 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-August-06, 13:10

View PostWellSpyder, on 2014-August-06, 10:45, said:

At the risk of stirring a snake with a stick, I wonder whether I could suggest that while many posters might sympathise with what you say, there will be rather fewer who sympathise with how you say it! It is in the nature of internet forums that different people will contribute to the discussion with different levels of expertise, and it is pointless to expect anything else.

Take a look at some of the other "contributions" that dake50 has made in the last week or so.
He's a worthless troll.

I can accept claims that e should be ignored completely, however, if folks are going to interact with him, I see nothing wrong with treating him as he deserves.
Alderaan delenda est

#14 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-06, 16:04

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-August-06, 10:27, said:

*rude stuff*

Always unacceptable! There is never any excuse for this sort of attack (no matter how stupid they are).

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2014-August-07, 09:54

You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#15 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-07, 08:49

I would be happy if my ops play this. It looks complicated enough so they will be concentrated on giving the correct signal and may lose quite a bit of their table presence. + they will still sometimes mess up and will have less time to actually think about the hand.

#16 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-August-07, 09:27

with right-side up or upside down you always have a lowest or highest card to give the signal you want.

with encrypted signals you often don't have a card which will give the meaning you want. so you go into the tank in order to give best signal. this inability to play a card in tempo causes problems.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-August-07, 09:35

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-August-07, 09:27, said:

with right-side up or upside down you always have a lowest or highest card to give the signal you want.

with encrypted signals you often don't have a card which will give the meaning you want. so you go into the tank in order to give best signal. this inability to play a card in tempo causes problems. yes screens help, but screens aren't always in place.

Although I agree there could be tempo issues, I really don't understand what you are saying here.

If you always have a lowest or highest card to play, you always have a highest or lowest card to play. The encryption "key" only governs whether the signal is right-side up or upside down; it doesn't change the signaller's cards.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#18 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-07, 10:08

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-August-07, 09:27, said:

with encrypted signals you often don't have a card which will give the meaning you want. so you go into the tank in order to give best signal. this inability to play a card in tempo causes problems.

This statement is appropriate for o/e signalling, but does not apply to encrypted signalling. With encrypted signalling, the signal will either be hi encourage or low encourage (substitute suit preference or other as appropriate), depending on some "key" so there will be a lowest or highest card except when there is only one card. Tempo issues could possibly arise with regard to other issues but not with regard to having an appropriate card to signal with.
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#19 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-August-07, 11:25

thinking of dual meaning signals
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#20 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-07, 12:34

Do people believe bridge would be a better game with encrypted signalling?

IMO a lot of the fun in bridge is trying to figure out what they have and their signalling is a big part of that(and on defense, figuring out whether or not I should falsecard in order to mislead declarer even though it might mislead partner). As declarer you have to weigh whether or not they can/would falsecard in some situations and which signals to believe etc. With encrypted signalling you cannot read their signals and they don't have to falsecard at all since partner will be able to read their signals and declarer won't. It would make it a different game, imo a worse one. I'd be surprised if people would prefer that game, so I genuinely wonder if people think it would be an improvement.

It goes against the spirit of the game as is to be able to make a bid or a play that gives your partner information but does not tell the opponents anything. I think all bids and plays should give partner and the opps the same info, and of course you can bluff any of those whenever you want at the risk of fooling partner in order to fool the opps. I think that is the spirit of "full disclosure."
The artist formerly known as jlall

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users