BBO Discussion Forums: Another 55 hand with advancer - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another 55 hand with advancer

Poll: Another 55 hand with advancer (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Your choice?

1. PASS (7 votes [41.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

2. DOUBLE - t/o (9 votes [52.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

3. 4D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 4H (1 votes [5.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

5. 4C (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-06, 07:15

Your bid?

Something of a counterpart to the other hand I put up, but the situation is slightly different.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 07:19

If double is definitely takeout to the reds, I would, but that is not so obvious to me.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 07:28

If double is definitely takeout to the reds, I would, but that is not so obvious to me. -- billw55
*** Penalty against their 8-11 S-fit???
Surely it's at least cooperative, asking better red.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 07:32

easy pass. partner has too many black cards.

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-06, 07:58

yucky hand.. but I can't bring myself to passing. 4

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 11:36

Impossible pass with my 1552 distribution. The power is just about
what p might have expected when they bid 3c (though we are max for a
minimum hand) but the distribution is much much better. P chose 3c for
a reason and it is most likely because their hand is poorly shaped for
a tox. If p cannot fit either of our red suits then our xx in clubs should
be enough for them to safely play 4c or even 5c if p chooses to bid that.

X

for penalty underneath the 2s bidder will be worthwhile far less than being
behind the opener and we use tox there because of frequency and utility. So X
is TOX for the reds <unless>

If we had x available there to show a hand with a spade stopper and interest in
3n THAT makes some sense since it is convertible and leaves all contracts still
intact. I would bid 3n with no worries with say QJx xxxx Axx Qxx so an x would be
missing either the spade stop or the club honor. If this x has a name I do not
know what it is but until that time I am making the standard TOX with hands like
the one posed in the problem. Now what I would do if we were using the x like I
mentioned I would probably bid 4c and if p could not mention a side 4 card suit
on the way to 5c so be it.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-06, 20:11

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-August-06, 07:58, said:

yucky hand.. but I can't bring myself to passing. 4

LOL
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-August-07, 08:10

Pass. There is no reason to believe we have more than 8 cards in any suit. Any four level contract doubled down two will cost more than their part score.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-August-07, 08:58

I pass

It is possible that game is good and partner can't act again, but there are some warning signs out there. Meanwhile, missing a non-vul game is not a disaster, altho the fact that on some hands we make game and they make 3 is a risk that militates in favour of bidding.

One offsetting downside to doubling is that partner, with his 3=2=2=6, may decide that defending is optimal and be disappointed in the defence we deliver.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-08, 04:53

So I finished this set quite early and was standing next to robson when the English played this board. Robson said that he would have acted on both the north and the south cards. (The English pair had the same action Alex and I did).

It seemed like there were a lot of boards on this theme, where uncovering the 53 heart fit is key. I don't know if its better to bid 4h directly here, or to double and hope partner will bid a three card heart suit.

All you doublers, will your partner be comfortable bidding 4H on the north hand? If you think that he won;t it cannot be right to double rather than bid 4H, given the risk of 3sx= that double runs.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-August-08, 07:48

Dude, suggesting to bid 4 he by south is a joke and a big joke. It's close between dbl and pass. 4 he is not even an option unless you know the hand or your name is Nuno.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-08, 07:49

something itching you?

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-August-08, 08:51

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-August-08, 07:49, said:

something itching you?

"Something" is quite an understatement.
"Itching" is the wrong word for what I feel about you. Otoh You don't wanna know what really bothers me. If you are really curious though, one of my sigs can give you a hint. ( with the risk of giving an encrypted msg known to everyone else except than you, but it's only forbidden at bridge table, and should be OK in forums)

Looking at 4 hands and taking the winning action in forums, even if the taken action is not even an option for a sane person, is nothing different than doing it at the table or while playing online to me. Congrats, you are the only soul to make this bid so far, but you are too **** to figure that you are the only loser. Or maybe you didn't know the hands and you are naturally ****. Were you born this way or did you have to work on it?

#14 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-08, 08:57

I think we have to dble to get the reds in the photo, if partner repeats clubs we can give up on game and pass. I know we do not have the defensive values but we have some nice shape to make up for it. I doubt partner will pass a dble. I'd be happy to play a game in either red suit, passing risks losing that.

#15 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 06:40

View PostMrAce, on 2014-August-08, 07:48, said:

Dude, suggesting to bid 4 he by south is a joke and a big joke. It's close between dbl and pass. 4 he is not even an option unless you know the hand or your name is Nuno.

As you alluded too, fantoni and nunes did bid 4h over 3s although he got a 2N bid from his partner, rather than 3C. Several other players also bid 2N with the north cards in preference to 3C, although some of them got a multi in front which makes that easier.

It from my anecdotal evidence and a quick look at the travellers consensus at the EC was to double 3S, virtually no-one passed this. A lot of pairs got to 4S, either after 3s 4c 4s, or 2s 3c 4s.

I talked to about 5-6 players about this hand. A number of them considered 4H a viable action, though no-one of them actually chose it. None of them had much sympathy with pass. Obviously, its problematic as they all knew the hand, having recently played it. And we had all drunk some beer.

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-August-11, 07:43

You know there is a huge difference between 2 NT and 3 Cl overcalls, at least to me.

#17 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-11, 08:20

View PostMrAce, on 2014-August-11, 07:43, said:

You know there is a huge difference between 2 NT and 3 Cl overcalls, at least to me.

It is a huge difference. Not only do we know about 2+ support; even if partner has exactly 2 hearts, his spade stopper means we are protected from getting forced in spades at least once.

4 looks pretty normal to me after a 2N overcall.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-August-11, 10:57

View Postwank, on 2014-August-06, 07:32, said:

easy pass. partner has too many black cards.

Yep. When Pard bid 3C, she already is assuming 6 or so HCP and expects me to pass 3C with something like this.

I have just the right shape for a responsive double, but would need a bullet more to actually do it. If the Opponents don't know how to bid, and actually have ten or eleven Spades, Pard will reopen with a Double.

If Righty was tactically raising with a Doubleton Spade and waiting to pounce, he will have a long wait.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users