• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Members In London?

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-August-05, 15:45

So this is a bit of a long shot but I've started playing on Monday evenings at the ACOL Club in london (for reference of my level, with randoms we've come 2nd, 7th, 7th out of like 30-35 in 3 times playing there), and was wondering whether any other london based forum members were available for a game at some point (not fussed what club or what time)

Cheers,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-05, 16:01

You going to Brighton?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-05, 16:02

View PostVampyr, on 2014-August-05, 16:01, said:

You going to Brighton?

Sorry being thick what is Brighton? some kinda meetup
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-05, 16:20

View Posteagles123, on 2014-August-05, 16:02, said:

Sorry being thick what is Brighton? some kinda meetup

http://www.ebu.co.uk...itions/brighton
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-05, 19:11

brighton is by far the biggest event in england (upto 170 tables in play at the same time). it goes on, with varying levels of attendance, for 10 days. it's got a bit of a jamboree element to it - there are speedball games starting at midnight and the light midweek schedule allows for some extra-curricular, largely liquid based, entertainment.

the midweek tuesday includes the national u25 pairs championship which might be of interest to you. i've no idea if this will turn out to be well supported or not. i think this is the first year it was held at brighton. i suspect attendance will be much better than in previous years, because there's nothing important on tuesday afternoon, whereas previously it was held during one of the easter london tournaments and precluded people from playing in the main event.

if i understand correctly, you've recently started playing at the acol after only previously playing in a small club. it was probably very different in terms of atmosphere and the ability levels of the stronger players. there is a much bigger gap if you try a national congress. personally i like national tournaments but find club bridge tedious. i've played national events in most of europe and i think the ebu tournaments are the best run, though there are some elements i find annoying (having to complete 2 huge and almost entirely worthless convention cards for example). the entry fees are a bit of a joke considering the lack of prize money, but if you're still a junior you get some sort of discount.

i live abroad now so i'm rarely able to play in london, but i'll be coming back for at least part of brighton (definitely not the first weekend). if you decided to turn up for some of it, i'd be happy to give you a game midweek. anyway, i would definitely suggest giving it a try if you can.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-05, 19:20

I have no plans midweek afternoons, so I could give you a game too.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-08, 04:51

thanks guys very kind!

i think a big national event is a bit beyond my level at the moment but i'll definitely try next year

Eagles

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users