Defend 4S

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-August-05, 15:18

This is for N/B

your opponents have reached 4s after the bidding shown in the diagram

for whatever reason you decide to lead a low heart to partners queen which holds the trick.
Partner then plays the Ace of diamonds followed by a low diamond which you play low to and is won by dummys eight
declarer draws trumps in two rounds
then he ruffs a heart in dummy
then he plays the king of diamond to the last remaining spot card from p and a low one from dummy
then he plays a low club from hand

I know the defence so far is far from ideal but this is what happened at the table (hand slightly modified)
What is the danger here?

what can you do about it?

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-05, 16:31

View Posteagles123, on 2014-August-05, 15:18, said:

for whatever reason you decide to lead a low heart to partners queen which holds the trick.
Partner then plays the Ace of diamonds followed by a low diamond which you play low to and is won by dummys eight
declarer draws trumps in two rounds
then he ruffs a heart in dummy
then he plays the king of diamond to the last remaining spot card from p and a low one from dummy
then he plays a low club from hand

This description suggests there have been at least two leads out of turn. How was I on lead to play a low heart to partner's queen? How could declarer lead the DK when he had just ruffed a heart in dummy?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-August-05, 17:00

sorry posted this up totally wrong
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2014-August-06, 04:28

Your description (if a bit out of sequence) indicates that declarer is 4234. Overcalled 1 on AQxx. Partner is 2533. Then there is no endplay since a ruff/discard does declarer no good even if you do not unblock with the King. My guess is that you neglected to say that partner discarded on the 2nd trump, and therefore declarer started with 3 clubs and partner started with Q10xx.

Some obsevations about the initial defence:

The 2 lead expecting (hoping) partner to have the queen is a suit preference lead asking for partner to return a club. Just holding Kx is not a good reason to make this play. Partner didnt recognise this and played A and a low diamond. Did partner continued because you incorrectly encouraged? Partner's continuation was a low indicating an even number of diamonds and strongly suggesting 2 for a diamond ruff. This was not the case.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users