• You cannot reply to this topic

Should I Over-rule My Partner Or Even Consider It

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-August-04, 17:27

Matchpoints we are vul they are non vul

is it just an automatic pass or should I have bid/at least considered bidding.

thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2014-August-04, 17:53

Partner's double does not prohibit you from bidding, traditionally it just says that W does not have 1st round control of hearts/and/or is not inviting 7. I think your hand is good enough that you ought to consider bidding 7.
Chris Gibson

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-August-04, 19:38

You need to find pard with AKQxx+ of diamonds. One honor less and you're almost certainly down in 7. I'm not going to risk that, so stick to the double.

Thinking of pulling is not an overbid, but doing it is an act of faith.

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-04, 21:53

The 6d bid was sort of a nice safe cozy place to play and it is almost impossible
for the opps to set it (using our imagination). I remain unsure that I would have been
happy merely bidding 6d after all p bid 5d all on their lonesome Even if p only has
AJxxxxx of diamonds (which is highly unlikely) we only need a 11 split to make 7d. A
direct 7d bid also has another advantage.

Your lho has to decide what to do before getting more info from their partner and it
may be possible they take a 7h sac when it is wrong. I would much rather x 7h than 6h.
I see nothing in the bidding that would make 7d more appealing to you than it was when
you bid 6d so

PASS

and congratulate the opps on great preemptive action.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-05, 02:15

Pass is certainly not automatic. Partner could easily have AKxxxxx of diamonds. And on a very bad day 6h makes
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-05, 02:26

As CSG mentions you could easily have grand because partner will often be doubling just to deny 1st rnd control in H.

If you are harbouring grand slam ambitions now you should be making a try on the previous round. Bid 5S (or 5NT?) instead of 6D - that must show a 1st round H control and pard will not have to double to deny one, so you will avoid this problem.

As the problem is I would pass now pretty swiftly. Punting speculative grand slams at MPs is not a winning strategy in my experience. Hold on to your plus.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-05, 03:31

i would pull it, but I would always have been planning to pull it. if i had bid 6d originally, it would only have been with the intention of being 'pushed' into 7 and hoping it dissuaded the opps from sacrificing.

as for an original 5NT, if you ignore the prospects of the opps have a cheap sac in 7, inviting is still not a great option - yes partner isn't 100% to have the ace of diamonds - because there are too many hands where partner would reject the invitation where 7 is cold, because the invitational bids available are so ill defined. imo it's much likely that we'd miss a good grand than go off in 7.

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-05, 03:39

Agree with 5NT on the previous round, now pass (partner having X'd in direct seat is more likely to hold defensive values, e.g. the spade K, rather than the stuff we need for 7). We'll pick up a measly 100 or 300 - but I'd rather not go -200. Unfortunately the opps have successfully abused the vul here.

ahydra

#9 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-August-05, 13:48

ah lads cheers for the ideas of bidding 5s or 5NT or whatever but this was a pickup partner (2nd time playing together) at pretty low level I wouldn't want to risk it!!

if I was to bid over 6H do I offer 7C or is it straight in with 7D?

Thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#10 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-05, 14:12

View Posteagles123, on 2014-August-05, 13:48, said:

ah lads cheers for the ideas of bidding 5s or 5NT or whatever but this was a pickup partner (2nd time playing together) at pretty low level I wouldn't want to risk it!!

if I was to bid over 6H do I offer 7C or is it straight in with 7D?

Thanks

Eagles

It just taks partner to have doubleton club for diamonds to be better. For 7 to be better than 7 you need to pitch 2 diamonds from hand!, partner has denied A so that is not going to happen. Another option would be that 7 avoids a club ruff, but diamond void is much more likelly.

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-August-05, 18:39

Frustrating, isn't it? Your hand looks like 6 is a lock. Then, those pesky opponents go and bid 6 .

Unfortunately, there's just no way to know with what hand partner has bid 5 . If you could somehow be assured partner held AKxxxxx, 7 would be an easy bid. But you just can't know.

You do have defensive values in the black suits. So sitting for 6 doubled looks to be a positive result.

Which would you rather do --

Explain to partner why you couldn't bid 7 because of uncertainty about partner's holding,

OR,

Explain to partner why you bid 7 without being certain there wasn't a loser -- K off side, missing the A, etc ?

PASS

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users