BBO Discussion Forums: Stayman - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Stayman What does 1NT-2C-2D/2H - 3C mean?

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2014-July-30, 01:59

With both of my partners I play Acol, weak no trump, Stayman and Transfers. With the more advanced partner we use the 2S response as a transfer into a minor. With the other partner we did not have that agreement, so when I had a six card club suit headed by AK and no other HCP, I bid 2C, and after partner's response I bid 3C. Partner figured out what I meant and passed.
Afterwards I wondered what that sequence would have meant to my more experienced partner. What sort of holding would he have expected?

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-30, 02:07

your approach is certainly sensible, although non standard.

A simple hard fast rule in constructive bidding is, that new suits on the 3 level
generate a game forcing auction, unless explicitly agreed otherwise.

We play 3m as showing 5+ in the minor, and 4 cards in the other major / in an unknown
major (after a 2D response).
Over a major suit response by partner, bidding the other major on the 3 level
create a game forcing, and showes a fit for partners major.

In general, if you dont have transfers for the minors, you cant get out in the minor,
and it is often not necessary.

Having a AKxxxx in NT is quite handy, 3m requires two more tricks.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-30, 02:17

Obviously you need a way to show a weak hand with long clubs. Especially when playing weak nt.

So if you don't have a transfer to clubs (what would a 2 response to 1NT mean, then?), you need either of these
1NT-3
or
1NT-2
2x-3
to show a weak hand with long clubs. It probably doesn't matter too much as long as you and your partner are on the same wavelenth. Beginners in England are taught that bidding via Stayman is weak.

If you do play transfers to minor suits, 2 followed by 3 is commonly played as forcing although a few play it as invitational. And a few play it as an artificial forcing bid.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-30, 02:46

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-July-30, 02:17, said:

Obviously you need a way to show a weak hand with long clubs. Especially when playing weak nt.

So if you don't have a transfer to clubs (what would a 2 response to 1NT mean, then?), you need either of these
1NT-3
or
1NT-2
2x-3
to show a weak hand with long clubs. It probably doesn't matter too much as long as you and your partner are on the same wavelenth. Beginners in England are taught that bidding via Stayman is weak.

If you do play transfers to minor suits, 2 followed by 3 is commonly played as forcing although a few play it as invitational. And a few play it as an artificial forcing bid.

The modern ACOl system file says that 1NT - 3C/3D/3H/3S "show strong suits with slam interest. I wondered whether 1NT-2C - 2X- 3C/D might indicate a stronger holding than 1NT-2S- 3C/D, which is supposed to be used with a very weak 6+ card minor. My clubs were better than this.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-July-30, 02:49

No it doesn't indicate a stronger holding. But if you play both as forcing, a direct 3 bid denies a 4-card major, while stayman followed by 3 shows a 4-card major.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-30, 04:00

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2014-July-30, 02:07, said:

Actually in the context he gives (Acol with no transfers to the minors) it is the traditional method.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-July-30, 04:30

What Gordon said. The traditional way of showing a weak takeout in clubs is Stayman followed by 3. In these days of everything going through a transfer this approach has become uncommon but the Acol Club is one of the places where these classical methods are still seen.

As for what might be shown by 1NT - 2; 2red - 3, that is completely a matter for partnership agreement. Some possibilities:-

1. weak takeout - the traditional method as already described
2. natural, forcing, non-promisary - shows a good hand with clubs
3. natural, forcing, promisary - shows a good hand with clubs and a 4 card major
4. natural, invitational - became briefly popular in the 1980s and is still used in some quarters
5. modified extended Stayman (only over 2) - an alternative to Smolen where 3 asks for Opener's 3 card major suit fragment
6. transfer - second round transfers are increasingly popular and using 3 to show diamonds here is a good option

7. weak takeout, promisary - weak with long clubs and an unbid 4 card major (added as an edit from CY's post #8)

Generally, in the system outlined by the OP option #1 would be normal. If 2 shows a minor suit takeout and 3m is a natural invite then #2 would be implied. If 4-way (minor suit) transfers are used then #3 would be expected. I would never assume any of #4, #5 and #6 (or #7) without explicit agreement.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-July-30, 06:40

Zel, you can add what we play.

We use a variant of the 2 weak with either minor (with some strong hands in there too), 1N-3any is slam try ish

So 1b - WTO with 4 cards in an unbid major meaning 1N-2-2-3-3 is a valid auction

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-July-30, 07:06

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-July-30, 06:40, said:

Zel, you can add what we play.

Done. :)

In truth I did not mean the list to be exhaustive. Transfers can also be promisary or non-promisary, for example. I figured it was enough to give some common variations along with a couple of extra ideas for the imaginative advancing player.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-July-30, 07:22

I like Boston Jacoby, although I haven't thought about it in a weak NT context. Briefly:

2: Range inquiry, holding either a raise to 2NT, or a long club suit either weak or slam invitational.
....2NT: Minimum. Responder passes, or bids 3, or bids a new suit as a help suit slam try (or a control bid, by agreement).
....3: Maximum. Responder bids 3NT, or passes, or bids a new suit.

2NT: transfer, holding either long diamonds weak, or long diamonds slam going, or both minors weak, or both minors slam going.
....3: better clubs. Responder bids 3 (weak), or bids a new suit (diamonds, slam going), or passes (both minors, weak), or bids 3NT (both minors, slam going).
....3[: better diamonds than clubs. Responder passes, or bids a new suit, or bids 3NT.

This frees up the direct 3 and 3 for other things, such as Puppet Stayman.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-30, 08:11

I have another occasional partner who has a system not to far away from Boston Jacoby. Stayman and Transfers, with:
1NT – 2NT “I have exactly 12 HCP, no 4 card major”
1NT - 2S . "I may have exactly 11 HCP, or I may have a long minor suit" Opener rebids:
2NT with (12 HCP). Partner then chooses between passing, or bidding a minor suit.
3C with (14 HCP). Partner then chooses between 3NT, passing, or bidding diamonds.

One expert has criticised this mechanistic system, pointing out that there are good and bad 11HCP hands But I would have thought that this 'quality' judgment could be applied here - for example "I may have a hand worth exactly 11HCP..."

#12 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-30, 11:26

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2014-July-30, 02:07, said:

View Postgordontd, on 2014-July-30, 04:00, said:

Actually in the context he gives (Acol with no transfers to the minors) it is the traditional method.
Yes, I was going to say "change 'non-standard' to 'very old-fashioned'".

That doesn't mean it's bad - it works quite well. It's just that 1NT-2-2-3 GF, 4-5+ works better.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-July-30, 14:56

View Postblackshoe and others, on 2014-July-30, 07:22, said:

<loads of stuff inappropriate for the Novice and Beginner Forum>

Is a 2 response idle for you at the moment? Use it as a weak takeout in a minor. You can add 2-suited minor slam tries if you want.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-July-30, 15:34

FWIW, an easy tweak to 2S as one minor is to have Opener bid 2NT if he prefers diamonds, 3C if he prefers clubs. This allows 2S to still possibly be one minor, because Opener shows diamond preference below 3C. What it gains is two things. First, if Responder has a weak minor two-suited hand, he bids the minor Opener prefers. Second , if Responder bids a major next, as a two-suited minor, bidding the shortness, with slam interest, both partners know what minor is agreed as trumps.

FWIW II, another option after Stayman is Minor Suit Smolen, where Responder bids the other minor to show a minor. You lose the minimal benefit of a natural 3D call after 3C natural. You gain right siding diamonds when Opener showed a major. And, if you want it, you can get out at 3D without giving up on a forcing sequence.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#15 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-30, 14:03

If you want simple, I suggest that you should not fear languishing in 1N.

You have to make 3 extra tricks in a minor to justify removing 1N to 3m and profit from the decision.

And they have yet to double 1N. And if they do, you might get out for 2m.

If you could bid 3m immediately to play, then it would have some pre-emptive effect, but pussy-footing around to 3m is unlikely to have any more pressure effect that simply passing 1N.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-October-02, 18:03

View Postblackshoe and others, on 2014-July-30, 07:22, said:

<loads of stuff inappropriate for the Novice and Beginner Forum>

It's exactly this sort of post that makes me sad we are no longer allowed to downvote.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-December-21, 08:31

Perhaps is not this the just topic but (being Stayman) however never is told about 2 Stayman to find fit in a minor suit ? 1NT (15-17) - 2(=when partner has void or a singleton generally in a major suit) asking if opener has a stopper in one or both of major suits. I can continue if interested but this convention is in the book "Do you play Stayman" edit by Odyssey Press of New York.(Lovera)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users