• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Attempt to participate Clarification period

#61 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-02, 22:02

Partner hears you call the TD, and ask to speak to him away from the table. What are the odds he's not going to figure out why you asked to do that?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#62 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-03, 02:02

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-July-30, 21:37, said:

Asking for a "sidebar" is an unusual procedure invented out of whole cloth. There's nothing in law or regulation to support it. Equally so, the idea that partner's pass is "binding" on the partnership has no basis in law or regulation.

I would normally agree to a player's request to talk to me away from the table, primarily because until I hear what that question is I won't know whether or not it will have been helpful to everyone for it not to have been said in front of the table. If they do all need to hear it I can go back and tell them, but if it's right for them not to have been told, I couldn't untell them if it had already been said to them.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#63 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-03, 02:03

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-August-02, 22:02, said:

Partner hears you call the TD, and ask to speak to him away from the table. What are the odds he's not going to figure out why you asked to do that?

In this specific situation? I don't know. In general, quite high.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#64 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-03, 03:14

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-August-02, 22:02, said:

Partner hears you call the TD, and you speak to the TD at the table. What are the odds he's not going to figure out why you asked to do that?

Which one transmits more UI? The only way to not transmit any UI is to not call the TD in the first place, but players are supposed to call the TD when they need his assistance.

#65 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-August-03, 09:19

"Strange game. The only way to win is not to play." -- Joshua, aka the WOPR, in War Games. :)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#66 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-August-03, 09:20

View Postgordontd, on 2014-August-03, 02:02, said:

I would normally agree to a player's request to talk to me away from the table, primarily because until I hear what that question is I won't know whether or not it will have been helpful to everyone for it not to have been said in front of the table. If they do all need to hear it I can go back and tell them, but if it's right for them not to have been told, I couldn't untell them if it had already been said to them.

Good point.
--------------------

#67 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-03, 09:38

View Postgordontd, on 2014-August-03, 02:02, said:

Yes. I can't unring the bell of the possible UI of the mere request anyway; and maybe, just maybe, there is a good reason.

Of particular note: on more than one occasion, I have been asked HOW to properly explain an agreement or lack thereof & and at the appropriate time.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#68 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-August-03, 10:14

Players can receive advice from the TD away from the table, including whether the player is required/permitted to draw attention to a particular irregularity.

If there has been an irregularity [that the player is permitted to draw attention to] then the TD should deal with that at the table.

If the player talks to the TD away from the table, and there is no action to be taken at the table, the TD could explain that he had advised the player of their rights and responsibilities (quoting Law 81C2) and ask to recalled at the end of the hand.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#69 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-August-03, 11:13

View PostRMB1, on 2014-August-03, 10:14, said:

If there has been an irregularity [that the player is permitted to draw attention to] then the TD should deal with that at the table.

Um. If a player who is not permitted to draw attention to an irregularity draws the TD's attention to an irregularity, the TD now has two irregularities to deal with, and he should deal with both of them (Law 81C3).
--------------------

#70 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-03, 11:19

Perhaps that is why RMB1 worded his post correctly.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#71 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-August-03, 11:49

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-August-03, 11:13, said:

Um. If a player who is not permitted to draw attention to an irregularity draws the TD's attention to an irregularity, the TD now has two irregularities to deal with, and he should deal with both of them (Law 81C3).

I am thinking of the situation that the player asks the TD (away from the table) if he should correct partner's misexplanation. The TD tells the player (away from the table) that he may not, yet (Law 20F5). There has been an irregularity (the misexplanation) but the player should not be drawing the table's attention to it and the TD will not deal with it now.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#72 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-August-03, 11:58

View PostRMB1, on 2014-August-03, 11:49, said:

I am thinking of the situation that the player asks the TD (away from the table) if he should correct partner's misexplanation. The TD tells the player (away from the table) that he may not, yet (Law 20F5). There has been an irregularity (the misexplanation) but the player should not be drawing the table's attention to it and the TD will not deal with it now.

Ah, okay. Yeah, in that case you're absolutely right.
--------------------

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users