• Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-30, 04:31

Double

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-30, 05:35

Veteran BBF members know how much I like bidding but I would pass this. My personal experience taught me the hard way that " what if pd is trap passing" doubles are costly, when pd is 10 times or even more likely to be passing because he had nothing to say looking at my Kx in the overcall suit. So I am really not worried much about trap pass. I have a medium strength semi balanced hand that I wish I opened 1 NT, with Kx in front of the owner of this suit. It's even easier pass at IMP with downgrade and being non vuln.
This hand is a 1 NT opener for some people. Drew Casen is one of them for example. As well as myself. I know it's flawed but I will say what I said before so many times that these hands creates problems when not opened 1NT even if opponents leave you alone which they rarely do. Of course it has its own downsides but I find them more manageable.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-July-30, 06:45

my experience of opening 1NT on hands like this is not very favourable.. B-)

#24 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-30, 11:01

I believe a long time ago, there was a thread about reopening (albeit at the 1 level) where you have Kx in their suit and otherwise fine shape, and Fred thought it was very bad to reopen. This is based on some hazy memory, so if I got it wrong, please don't sue me.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#25 User is offline   Wayne_LV 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker

Posted 2014-July-30, 12:02

View Postyunling, on 2014-July-29, 00:08, said:

With doubleton in their suit, passing looks dangerous, but there's no convenient call I can make:(

This sequence is a potential trap pass and my regular partners and I handle is as follows:

Min hand (12-15)
Pass with 3+ of opp's suit
Double with <3 of opp's suit
Good hand (16+)
Rebid

I value this hand as 17 total points (16 hcp + 1 for 5th spade). Therefore, I would rebid 3 which partner can pass or make a suit preference bid of 3.

#26 User is offline   thejcb 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-July-31, 16:24

The advanced bid is double. Why is everyone passing, just double and see what happens. They cant make game, why is this so difficult for all you beginners to understand ? bidding or pass is beginner. DOUBLE is the advanced bid, maybe your p is sitting there with 5 or 6 diamonds, he cant double can he ? so he waits for you to do it for him. Obvious and advanced bidding

#27 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-July-31, 16:35

I vote 3, may end up in 3 when could be in 2. If p has a real trap (and not just a bunch of ) we will be in 3N. If p has 4+ is weak and we double will be in bad spot. p could have some clubs and was unable to show.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#28 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-31, 16:51

Double >>> 3. I'm not saying I would double, but the point is you can double and remove 2 to 2 to show a 5 4 and extras (and catering to the unlikely pass, and hands that insist on hearts).

Reopening with 3 shows, of all things, a bunch of spades and clubs - probably 6-5.

#29 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-July-31, 17:32

View Postthejcb, on 2014-July-31, 16:24, said:

The advanced bid is double. Why is everyone passing, just double and see what happens. They cant make game, why is this so difficult for all you beginners to understand ? bidding or pass is beginner. DOUBLE is the advanced bid, maybe your p is sitting there with 5 or 6 diamonds, he cant double can he ? so he waits for you to do it for him. Obvious and advanced bidding

I am surely glad we have an advanced player as a new addition to the forums. We should learn a lot.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#30 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-July-31, 18:13

View Postmike777, on 2014-July-30, 01:59, said:

I am going to pass

call me a conservative, old fashion, whatever

No I would not call you old fashioned. I would call you sensible. This is a bad hand on which to reopen.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#31 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-31, 19:20

reopening is poor. this isn't a great hand (kx under the bid) and partner couldn't act himself.

those hoping for partner to float it are too optimistic. partner's not got a trump stack when you have kx against an unfavourable 2 level overcall in a minor.

it's more likely we'll protect the opps into something good than do the same for ourselves. they could easily be making game in hearts - lho could be 64 or rho could have a heart suit without enough to advance.

as for 3C, that would be woefully bad.

#32 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-01, 04:05

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-July-31, 16:51, said:

Double >>> 3. I'm not saying I would double, but the point is you can double and remove 2 to 2 to show a 5 4 and extras (and catering to the unlikely pass, and hands that insist on hearts).

Reopening with 3 shows, of all things, a bunch of spades and clubs - probably 6-5.

Well what would you do with an ordinary 6-2-2-3 opening, spades not particularly strong.
I bet you would double and remove 2 to 2
I agree though that an immediate 3 should hint at a 5 card suit, but do not tell me that you must have 4s when you remove 2 to 2.
It is at least ambiguous

Rainer Herrmann

#33 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-01, 04:15

View Postwank, on 2014-July-31, 19:20, said:

reopening is poor. this isn't a great hand (kx under the bid) and partner couldn't act himself.

those hoping for partner to float it are too optimistic. partner's not got a trump stack when you have kx against an unfavourable 2 level overcall in a minor.

it's more likely we'll protect the opps into something good than do the same for ourselves. they could easily be making game in hearts - lho could be 64 or rho could have a heart suit without enough to advance.

as for 3C, that would be woefully bad.

It may not be likely but partner could still be sitting there with J9xxx, shortage in spades and a few values behind overcaller.
I consider that they have game in hearts and they will bid it, when they were prepared to play 2 and partner refused to raise us really remote.
But they could have a partial in hearts, we better do not double.
It might be close but letting them play 2 when partner has no trump stack is unlikely to be successful either and we are not vulnerable.

Rainer Herrmann

#34 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-01, 04:22

View Postrhm, on 2014-August-01, 04:05, said:

Well what would you do with an ordinary 6-2-2-3 opening, spades not particularly strong.
I bet you would double and remove 2 to 2
I agree though that an immediate 3 should hint at a 5 card suit, but do not tell me that you must have 4s when you remove 2 to 2.
It is at least ambiguous

Rainer Herrmann

You lost your bet.

I've explained in 927 recent threads that I use these sequences to show flexible hands and not one suiters. With an ordinary 6223 I would reopen with, of all things, 2. IMO doubling in case partner is stacked is nuts.

Anyway, I would not double on this hand, because it is not strong enough to pull 2 to 2 (I would if the red suits were reversed) - but it unambiguously promises 4 clubs. If you don't want me to tell you that, that's too bad.

#35 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-01, 12:32

Phil: what would you do with a strong 6=3=1=3 shape with decent defence?

#36 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-August-01, 14:43

View Postthejcb, on 2014-July-31, 16:24, said:

I guess I am a beginner, because pass seems clear to me.

I don't know what advanced game you play in, but in the beginner games I enjoy, the chances that partner has 5 or 6 diamonds, when a red v white opp makes a 2-level overcall, are....well....infinitesimal. Sure, he might have, say, Q10xx, but even then it is far from clear that he will or should sit for a double, especially if he has say Jxxxx in hearts or xxx in spades.

No, the percentages appear to suggest that he will be bidding 2 on 4 or 5 cards in the suit, and a weak hand, and won't be thrilled with a diamond lead through dummy, or that he will take a preference to 2 on his doubleton, and have few, if any entries, and we will be struggling to get out for -1 or 2....perhaps even on a hand on which we would go plus on defence!

Doubling, then pulling hearts to spades, shows a different hand. PhilKing may disagree, and maybe in his partnerships his experience is that he can bid this way. However, most experienced beginners would treat that sequence the way jallerton suggests: 2 shows a good hand with 6 spades, and is prototypically 6=3=1=3.

Btw, this is a recurring theme in real life, especially with advanced players, who have learned that one should stretch to reopen when playing negative doubles, and haven't yet learned to recognize exceptions to that rule. This is one of them, imo.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#37 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-03, 05:05

View Postjallerton, on 2014-August-01, 12:32, said:

Phil: what would you do with a strong 6=3=1=3 shape with decent defence?

Double then 3 shows that hand for me.

#38 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-03, 06:54

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-July-29, 03:01, said:

What is inconvenient about a double?

Indeed; as my late friend Bob Brinig would say, it saves a trip to the bar. I would pass on this hand, however. Whenever I bid my partner has a 2-5-4-2 one count.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users