BBO Discussion Forums: Wagar final - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wagar final Misinformation

Poll: Wagar final (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Agree with

1. TD (3 votes [15.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

2. AC (5 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Michael Huston (8 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. Other (4 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-29, 06:59

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-July-29, 05:14, said:

But the main point for me is that had North explained better or not at all, declarer WOULD have made the contract, and surely that is what matters.

No, it isn't. What matters is whether the information given was correct, and whether it was sufficiently clear. It is not unusual that knowing more about your opponents' methods will cause you to go wrong on a particular hand, but you can't get an adjusted score on the basis that they should have withheld true information.

As Gordon says, it is by no means clear that the information given was correct in this case. But if it was, it is difficult to see what more North could do to ensure that her meaning was understood.

Law 21A said:

No rectification or redress is due to a player who acts on the basis of his own misunderstanding.

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-July-29, 07:55

It seems to me that North and South were expressing similar things in different ways.

Taken literally, "no meaning" is clearly wrong. Every call has a meaning. She presumably meant "nospecial meaning." A natural Pass means you don't have a hand worthy of some other call.

North's explanation is consistent with the understanding that South would usually show a 4-card major if she had one, so

#23 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-29, 09:06

A thought occurs to me: I don't know North, but making a wild guess from her name makes me wonder if her first language might not use indefinite articles. If she had been trying to say "usually does not have one four-card major", that would have been a lot closer to the truth.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#24 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-29, 09:59

View Postbarmar, on 2014-July-29, 07:55, said:

North's explanation is consistent with the understanding that South would usually show a 4-card major if she had one

But was this a partnership agreement?

I mean, I would tend to bid a four card major, if I had one. And I might well pass if I had two (unless I have the agreement that pass is penalty). That is simple bridge logic if you have a partner who "promises" at least 4-3 in the majors by doubling. It has nothing to do with a specific agreement.

If North would not have said anything at all, East would have thought that South had a reason for her pass. After N cards had been played she might have figured out that South didn't have a preference for either major (since she was 4-4).

So, I think that in reality South's pass meant that she had no preference for either major. That could be because she was 3-3, but it could also be that she was 4-4. But, of course, I don't know what the pass meant in reality since neither the TD, nor the AC seem to have bothered to ask NS. But it seems to me that the explanation by North was factually false in its content (South had no preference for a major, rather than denying a four card major), as well as in its context (it suggested that NS had some kind of special agreement, whereas in reality South's bidding was dictated by simple bridge logic).

Rik

Edit: The though of "one" vs "a" also occured to Gordon. (The posts crossed since I was writing this at work and people keep bugging me with work related stuff while I have more important things to do, such as post on BBF.)
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#25 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-29, 11:13

View Postgordontd, on 2014-July-29, 09:06, said:

A thought occurs to me: I don't know North, but making a wild guess from her name makes me wonder if her first language might not use indefinite articles. If she had been trying to say "usually does not have one four-card major", that would have been a lot closer to the truth.

She is quite Anglicised after all these years, but I am guessing her second attempt would have emphasized the article rather than the adverb if that was what she meant.

We are doing a lot of guessing. I am mildly curious why during the auction both K & L answered when only one opponent asked anything. I also speculate from experience playing against Kerry that SHE was actively ethical with an unsolicited "means nothing" to her screenmate, prompted by her actual holding, which she might not have bothered to do behind screens if she had some 3-3-4-3.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#26 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-July-29, 20:48

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-July-29, 11:13, said:

We are doing a lot of guessing. I am mildly curious why during the auction both K & L answered when only one opponent asked anything. I also speculate from experience playing against Kerry that SHE was actively ethical with an unsolicited "means nothing" to her screenmate, prompted by her actual holding, which she might not have bothered to do behind screens if she had some 3-3-4-3.
It's hard to explain partnership style:
  • If South's explanation was related to her actual holdings, it's more likely to help North than East.
  • Similarly, if North's attempt to emphasise "usually" is based on inferences from the South's lead and the contents of her own hand, it's more likely to help South than East.
  • East seems to have taken the emphasis on "usually" to mean that South was very unlikely to hold a 4-card major so that a holding of both majors was even less likely.
  • Better for both North and South to give similar full and accurate explanations e.g. "Pass shows no immediate preference, for example, 44(xy), 42(xy), 33(xy), 32(xy)" (or whatever was their actual understanding). But this can be hard to do.

#27 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-29, 21:16

View Postnige1, on 2014-July-29, 20:48, said:

It's hard to explain partnership style:
  • If South's explanation was related to her actual holdings, it's more likely to help North than East.
  • Similarly, if North's attempt to emphasise "usually" is based on inferences from the South's lead and the contents of her own hand, it's more likely to help South than East.
  • East seems to have taken the emphasis on "usually" to mean that South was very unlikely to hold a 4-card major so that a holding of both majors was even less likely.
  • Better for both North and South to give similar full and accurate explanations e.g. "Pass shows no immediate preference, for example, 44(xy), 42(xy), 33(xy), 32(xy)" (or whatever was their actual understanding). But this can be hard to do.

I don't see how those first two bullets are relevant to screen play; and the first one wouldn't even apply to regular play, since Kerry would have remained mute.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#28 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-July-29, 22:20

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-July-29, 21:16, said:

I don't see how those first two bullets are relevant to screen play; and the first one wouldn't even apply to regular play, since Kerry would have remained mute.
Good points :)

#29 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-30, 15:01

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-July-29, 01:28, said:

But in this case there clearly was no understanding (implicit or explicit) since the explanation was significantly different on the two sides of the screen. There was not even an "Oh, I misbid" remark from South. So, it seems that the idea that South's pass (usually) denies a 4 card major came out of nowhere and was not the partnership agreement.

Rik

This raises the question of what constitutes a partnership understanding. When I go through hands we have played with partners/team-mates we might well discuss what we would call on certain hands after the sequence that has cropped up. If I recall a conversation from last year involving my partner I might well feel that we have a partnership understanding - which the opponents are entitled to know. If partner does not recall the same conversation, does this mean that we have an agreement or not?

By the way, on the Wagar hand it's quite possible that North and South had much the same idea as to which hands pass over the redouble, just that they explained it rather differently. Perhaps North was thinking that the most common hand type which passes has no 4-card major.

#30 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-30, 15:51

View Postjallerton, on 2014-July-30, 15:01, said:

Perhaps North was thinking that the most common hand type which passes has no 4-card major.

That may be true (and I think it is). But that doesn't make it close to "usually no 4 card major".

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#31 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-01, 01:49

Only those partnerships where both members know the rules very well are prepared to give the same expanation for a simple bid that is not alerted. Anytime my partner explains one of those I realice I would explain it very differently. Yet we understand the same.

#32 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-August-01, 02:46

North's 2 bid suggests that she is actually not catering to South having 4-4 in the majors. 2 would be a bit silly if South is 4441. Maybe North's explanation was correct?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#33 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-August-01, 10:48

View PostFluffy, on 2014-August-01, 01:49, said:

Only those partnerships where both members know the rules very well are prepared to give the same expanation for a simple bid that is not alerted. Anytime my partner explains one of those I realice I would explain it very differently. Yet we understand the same.

My partner and I have a convention that we always explain slightly differently. After partner opens 1NT, if we want to show a minor, we first bid a puppet to the corresponding major; after partner accepts that putative transfer, we bid the next suit to transfer to the minor.

I explain it as: "Usually a transfer to <the major>, but could be the beginning of a sequence to transfer to <the minor>."
He explains it as: "Usually a transfer to <the major>, but could be a transfer to <the minor>."

#34 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-01, 11:00

View Postbarmar, on 2014-August-01, 10:48, said:

I explain it as: "Usually a transfer to <the major>, but could be the beginning of a sequence to transfer to <the minor>."
He explains it as: "Usually a transfer to <the major>, but could be a transfer to <the minor>."

I wouldn't understand his explanation - I'd have to ask him for more information.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#35 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-August-01, 11:39

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-July-29, 05:14, said:

This hand produced a lot of hot air on Bridgewinners. Most of the comments focused on the alleged fact that North did nothing wrong (I broadly agree). But the main point for me is that had North explained better or not at all, declarer WOULD have made the contract, and surely that is what matters.

This point should really put an end to any discussion about grave injustice towards pro-actively ethically players. But then again, we are on the internets...

In any case, the most interesting aspect of this hand to me is that North and South clearly were not 100% on the same page. Seems a good example for the difference between a very good partnership and a great one - I would bet 10:1 that Meckwell would know their partner's action with 4432 in the auction (1D) X (XX).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#36 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-02, 05:07

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-August-01, 02:46, said:

North's 2 bid suggests that she is actually not catering to South having 4-4 in the majors. 2 would be a bit silly if South is 4441. Maybe North's explanation was correct?

Would South risk passing with 4=4=4=1? Should South have run to 1 on her actual shape, planning to follow up with redouble if doubled?

I agree with Cherdano: whilst most partnerships play pass as 'neutral' here, few have discussed what each hand is going to call on every possible shape.

On this ruling, the TD/AC ought to have attempted to establish the extent of the N/S agreement: was North explaining their just the partnership understanding, or something more than that?

#37 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-02, 11:18

In Europe, North is not allowed to lower the screen and give some comment, even if trying to be helpful. I presume that the screen regulations are different in the US, and we have enough eminent US posters who can tell me if that is the case.

However, the misexplanation did not cause the contract to fail. Its failure was unrelated to the infraction and caused by an inability to think clearly about the diamond suit. If North had been dealt KT doubleton in diamonds, I would adjust.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#38 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-August-02, 11:26

View Postlamford, on 2014-August-02, 11:18, said:

In Europe, North is not allowed to lower the screen and give some comment, even if trying to be helpful. I presume that the screen regulations are different in the US, and we have enough eminent US posters who can tell me if that is the case.

However, the misexplanation did not cause the contract to fail. It was unrelated to the infraction and caused by an inability to think clearly about the diamond suit. If North had been dealt KT doubleton in diamonds, I would adjust.

At first reading, I thought for a second that the antecedent of "it" is "the misexplanation". I suspect though that you intended the antecedent to be "the failure of the contract".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#39 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-02, 11:42

View Postlamford, on 2014-August-02, 11:18, said:

However, the misexplanation did not cause the contract to fail. It was unrelated to the infraction and caused by an inability to think clearly about the diamond suit.

You think that if the misexplanation had not occurred, she would have played the diamond suit the same way?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#40 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-02, 11:49

View Postgordontd, on 2014-August-02, 11:42, said:

You think that if the misexplanation had not occurred, she would have played the diamond suit the same way?

You are right, and I completely missed an important point.

This post has been edited by lamford: 2014-August-03, 02:42

I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users