Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

One I wanted to share

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-27, 09:28

No lessons to be learned. Just a bit of light-hearted amusement.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-July-27, 09:42

East knew he needed the suit unblocked!
Edit: And, he signaled high. Good GIB!

This post has been edited by Bbradley62: 2014-July-27, 10:26

#3 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-27, 09:43

Yeah, no real mystery. The lead marks you with the K and opening 1NT marks it as protected, so ducking means if it goes down it goes down the maximum amount.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-July-27, 09:45

I wonder whether North would have bid 6 or 6N if your bid had been 4 over 4.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-July-27, 10:02

View PostAntrax, on 2014-July-27, 09:43, said:

Yeah, no real mystery. The lead marks you with the K and opening 1NT marks it as protected, so ducking means if it goes down it goes down the maximum amount.

yes, but it was matchpointed. I didn't say that at the outset, I know.

I wasn't expecting a thread to develop. Just a wry sunday afternoon chuckle.

But while we are on it, North was sufficiently confident of 6N making that he was willing to eschew the Spade fit. East, having the same "brain", should be no less confident. That being the case his only interest is limiting the overtrick.

Not sure why North had no interest in 7S, mind.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-July-27, 12:17

I am sure I posted this once before.

I was kibbitzing a local team match. The player I was watching had a good hand with the singleton K. He and his partner quickly bid up to 3NT in an uncontested auction. A small spade was led, and dummy hit with a nice hand, containing a singleton small spade. RHO played the Q at trick one and declarer quickly claimed 11 tricks.

At the end of the hand it was found that RHO played the Q from AQx. You can work out what the opening small spade lead was from.

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-July-27, 12:30

LOL. I doubt that they had a systemic lead to show an 8 card suit headed by the Jack, that has never been bid. I know that I don't.

I think that it is quite normal to play Q from AQx, to deny declarer a safe hold-up play, but I guess you need to know the entire hand to assess its merits in a particular case.

It does bring to focus a generally increased tendency, in my observation, to open 1N with a singleton honour (the hand otherwise qualifying), and not just in GIB tournaments. Perhaps it would behove us all to bear this more in mind in future.

#8 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-July-27, 19:58

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-July-27, 12:30, said:

LOL. I doubt that they had a systemic lead to show an 8 card suit headed by the Jack, that has never been bid. I know that I don't.

I think that it is quite normal to play Q from AQx, to deny declarer a safe hold-up play, but I guess you need to know the entire hand to assess its merits in a particular case.

It does bring to focus a generally increased tendency, in my observation, to open 1N with a singleton honour (the hand otherwise qualifying), and not just in GIB tournaments. Perhaps it would behove us all to bear this more in mind in future.

yes have made Q play from that holding, but never had declarer with stiff K (yet)
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#9 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-27, 21:42

Looks like a flat board to me :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users