• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6-4 rebid

#1 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-26, 05:31

What's your rebid and how close is it - i.e. what would you change about the hand to change your bid? Do you have specific agreements with your partner about light/shapely reverses?

Sorry - somehow I failed to create a poll.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-26, 05:40

I try 2h. If you moves a heart to diamond I'd try 3c. If you changed the heart A to the Q I'd try 2c. If you made all my hearts spades I'd bid 4c.

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-July-26, 07:27

Reversing is appealing, but the void is worrisome. Think I'll be a bit conservative and bid 2.

who knows, maybe pard can bid 2 himself, after which the hand becomes really good.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-26, 07:52

2, you switch spades and diamonds and I Will bid 2

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-26, 10:28

2h. i don't care about the spade void when i've got 7 likely tricks.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-July-26, 11:15

View Postbroze, on 2014-July-26, 05:31, said:

What's your rebid and how close is it - i.e. what would you change about the hand to change your bid? Do you have specific agreements with your partner about light/shapely reverses?

Sorry - somehow I failed to create a poll.

2c no problem yet. Sometimes I have a max.

It helps a bit if you play reverse flannery when pard will not have 5s and 4h very often.

#7 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-July-26, 12:52

View PostFluffy, on 2014-July-26, 07:52, said:

2, you switch spades and diamonds and I Will bid 2

Yes, exactly the same for me.

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-July-26, 14:48

Never 2, can live with 3 or 2, I'd probably bid 2, it is a 7 playing trick hand so I'm happy with the playing strength.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-July-26, 15:54

2. No rule against having a maximum, even tho most on the forum seem to bid as if it is illegal
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-July-26, 16:14

View Postmikeh, on 2014-July-26, 15:54, said:

2. No rule against having a maximum, even tho most on the forum seem to bid as if it is illegal

Do you bid on with hands like J109xx, xxx, AKx, xx or do you just accept you miss 3N on these ?

I suspect some of the differences here may come from the fact that I can have x, Qxxx, xx, AKxxxx for the 2 rebid but I suspect many from North America can't, so I like to be able to pass on some vaguely OK hands.

I also can't have a real monster for a 2/3 rebid, as I have a different bid for those, so the upper range is limited to about 7.5 playing tricks.

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-July-27, 03:12

well, bidding isn't an exact science... while dodging bullets on misfits, you will certainly miss some good games

#12 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-27, 03:32

Obviously 2. You don't want to look silly when partner has 2 tricks and passes 2.
Normally my reverse is 17+ and F1 but you can't always have the perfect hand.

#13 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-27, 03:39

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-July-26, 07:27, said:

Reversing is appealing, but the void is worrisome. Think I'll be a bit conservative and bid 2.

who knows, maybe pard can bid 2 himself, after which the hand becomes really good.

2 from partner is forcing. I'd be worried about hands where they might not bid again.

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-July-27, 05:00

2c. I am never reversing into 2h with this hand with a s void after pd has bid spades.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-27, 05:46

#16 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-July-27, 09:07

View Postwanoff, on 2014-July-27, 03:39, said:

2 from partner is forcing.

Depends. Some define 1st step (here 2D) as the forcing bid.

#17 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-July-27, 10:42

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-July-26, 16:14, said:

Do you bid on with hands like J109xx, xxx, AKx, xx or do you just accept you miss 3N on these ?

I suspect some of the differences here may come from the fact that I can have x, Qxxx, xx, AKxxxx for the 2 rebid but I suspect many from North America can't, so I like to be able to pass on some vaguely OK hands.

I also can't have a real monster for a 2/3 rebid, as I have a different bid for those, so the upper range is limited to about 7.5 playing tricks.

here we go again

A poster poses a question about bidding, in the natural bidding forum. You post your answer and then it turns out that your answer is based on an undisclosed, undescribed, idiosyncratic non-standard method. Why do you do this? Why not answer the OP question in the context in which it is asked, and, if appropriate, add that it is possible to deal with these hands using specialized methods?

Any method that advocates opening 1 on some Qxxx AKxxxx hand may well be 'effective' in the limited sense that it is almost as difficult to play against as it is to play.....but unless it is within the context of severely limited opening bid ranges, such as a big club or big diamond method, it will prove to be impossible to use in a constructive fashion, which is why EHAA never caught on with good players.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#18 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-July-27, 11:09

View Postmikeh, on 2014-July-27, 10:42, said:

A poster poses a question about bidding, in the natural bidding forum. You post your answer and then it turns out that your answer is based on an undisclosed, undescribed, idiosyncratic non-standard method. Why do you do this?

OP is from the UK like Cyberyeti. Over here is is not very unusual to open 1 on x-Qxxx-xx-AKxxxx. It's a fine rule-of-19 hand which is the criterion many pairs put on their CC. I wouldn't personally open that hand in most partnerships but it is very close.

"Natural bidding" is not necessarily the same as standard North-American bidding.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#19 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-July-27, 11:50

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-July-27, 11:09, said:

OP is from the UK like Cyberyeti. Over here is is not very unusual to open 1 on x-Qxxx-xx-AKxxxx. It's a fine rule-of-19 hand which is the criterion many pairs put on their CC. I wouldn't personally open that hand in most partnerships but it is very close.

"Natural bidding" is not necessarily the same as standard North-American bidding.

Exactly, I happen to think that anything that involves opening 1 on a doubleton has no place in a natural bidding forum, but since it's done in large parts of the world, I live with it. I did note that the OP was from the UK before posting what I did.

It's also not at all rare here to have an opening bid for an 8 playing trick hand with clubs (2 or 2 as 8 playing tricks in either minor or 8 playing tricks in any suit or to have the strong two as part of a multi 2), hence the maximum of 7.5 tricks for a 3 rebid. This is extremely common in club bridge although less so as you go up in standard.

Others (much less commonly)do what we do using an artificial rebid, GGG uses 2, we use another weak NT arrangement where a 1N rebid is wide range with no gap to the 2N opener, so a 2N rebid is art GF.

#20 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-July-27, 14:27

I'm bidding 2 .

Partner's 1 portends a possible misfit, so I'm going slow in any case.

Secondly, I recall many years ago, a bridge columnist saying that it's a lot easier to add values later in the bidding than to convince partner you have less than originally shown. I play strong reverses, so the hand shown although about a max minimum isn't good enough for my reversing with it.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users