• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A show up triple squeeze? A position I've not seen before

#1 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-26, 04:51

I reached an end position I'd not seen before:

The lead was with North, and I knew that East had the master and master and 2, but I didn't know if he had the Q or not. But when I played the Q, East had to discard a (if he discards the , I can discard the J and dummy is good; if he discards a , I discard a , and the 4 leads to a simple show up squeeze). But now I know to drop West's Q

This is not an overly complicated end position, and it can't be original, but I don't recall seeing it before in eg Love or Kelsey (although admittedly it has been a while since I read either of those).

#2 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-July-26, 06:36

In Love exercise 66 pag.128 [for position equivalent] :(s) 4(idle card) (h) A 10 (d) - © 10 in North; in South (s) 10 (h) 6 3 (d) sq. card 5 © - Bidding :E p S 1d W 2c N 3d E p S 5d W p N p E p West leads c K T1: King wins T2: c J led Analysis 66 West (ending ) ... (s) Q (h) Q J (d) - © A Since a squeeze is the only hope, a momentary thought might be to duck the second trick, in hope of setting up a simple squeeze on West. But a Spade or Heart discard leaves no threat in that suit, and a third Club lead will excise the Club threat. No simple squeeze. The best chance is that West ma hold all the invisible high cards [like is for triple squeeze :when you have three honors -high cards - let's think about it]. If so, the triple squeeze is established right now, and an easier one could hardly be conceived. Just run all the trumps, and West will buckle. The original hand have menace in Spade and Heart type A x/K 10 x and was Case I: One threat opposite the squeeze card. In "The SQUEEZE at Bridge" by Chien-Hwa Wang pag 75: ... the simplest form of the automatic triple squeeze:(s) AJ2 (h) - (d) K © - in N; in S (s)4 3 (h) K (d) - © A; in E (s) KQ (h) A (d) A © -(Lovera)

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-July-26, 11:40

A three-suit squeeze against a single opponent always operates one trick before the last winner is played. So it is very easy to read.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-July-26, 12:12

EricK, on 2014-July-26, 04:51, said:

I reached an end position I'd not seen before: The lead was with North, and I knew that East had the master and master and 2, but I didn't know if he had the Q or not. But when I played the Q, East had to discard a (if he discards the , I can discard the J and dummy is good; if he discards a , I discard a , and the 4 leads to a simple show up squeeze). But now I know to drop West's Q. This is not an overly complicated end position, and it can't be original, but I don't recall seeing it before in eg Love or Kelsey (although admittedly it has been a while since I read either of those).

In Erick's unusual ending, East can save a trick by chucking a .

A slight change allows declarer to make all the tricks. Here, for example, declarer (South), uncertain about the position succeeds if he knows that LHO guards the red suits.

A slight flaw In both examples, is that you succeed without any finesse position. e.g. here dummy's clubs could be A432

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users