BBO Discussion Forums: Neuroscience and TV's Perception - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Neuroscience and TV's Perception For real?

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-25, 08:05

In the TV show Perception, the main character is a schizophrenic professor of neuroscience. The gimmick is that the opening scenes have the prof in front of the class speaking on some topic, the show then is related to the topic, and the wrap up at the end has the prof summing up.

In the most recent episode, the lead-in concerned the mind's ability to substitute or make do. The story line involved a woman who was in a delusional state about a baby. In the summation the prof spoke of neurological changes in the brain of a woman as she goes through childbirth. The hypothalamus grows, I think he said. I emphasize that he was not speaking of the undeniable fact that some adjustments to life are needed, he was speaking of neurological changes in the brain.

I ask: Is this real? Is there science supporting it?

I have wondered along the same lines in some of the other episodes but this one struck me as particularly interesting. Does someone out there know, either specifically about this issue or more generally, if the show has some serious scientific source? I don't wish to sound naive, i know tv is tv. Still, I was wondering.
Ken

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-July-25, 08:15

There is a cable channel that broadcasts a show called "Brain Games"?, I think, and it gives examples of the games and tricks our minds are hardwired to perform in order to cope. It is fascinating stuff.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-July-25, 08:30

Hmmm ... the story could be based on this article.

The people who published it are from Yale and the paper has been cited 76 times so I suppose it must be true :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-July-25, 13:18

I watch the show but prefer him in Will and Grace. :)

I expect mapping the hardware of the brain over the next 6 years and software of the brain over the next 16 will be the important event for mankind.

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-25, 15:22

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-July-25, 08:30, said:

Hmmm ... the story could be based on this article.

The people who published it are from Yale and the paper has been cited 76 times so I suppose it must be true :)

Thanks, this is the sort of thing he was speaking of. The show is good at slipping in some results such as this, and I am glad to hear that they didn't just make it up.

The ex and future husband (one and the same guy) of the FBI agent is to my mind unbearable, but otherwise the show is reasonable. Not great, but reasonable.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users