• You cannot reply to this topic

Grosvenor Gambit!

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-19, 11:45

My link

Match points, ACBL robot individual

Yesterday I posted a hand in which I expressed the opinion that misuse of a negative double resulted in a failed grand slam. With regard to this hand, it seems to me that North's failure to make a negative double holding a classic example unnecessarily landed us in an unmakeable contract. I'd be curious to know why North failed to make a negative double and then felt obliged to compensate by raising to the 3-level when I protected in the pass-out seat. To my mind, this auction only makes sense when North holds a club stack and was hoping for a reopening double or holds a hand that a negative double or other bid does not describe (perhaps 2-3-4-3).

I said that the resulting 3 contract is unmakeable, although several South's did make the contract. It's unmakeable because East is able to give West a ruff at trick 6, for a total of 2 s, 2s and 1. At some tables, though, East returned not a but a . Why, I asked myself, is East not giving partner a ruff. The answer - West has no more and East didn't return a to prevent me from seeing West's failure to ruff, overtaking the in dummy and picking up the suit via a finesse - kind of like dropping a stiff K offside when RHO fails to overruff the dummy's Q. So, based on this incontrovertible logic, I played East for A10xx and inserted the 9 instead of rising with the K. I was surprised to say the least by the result. However, giving credit where credit is due, I must applaud the programmers for including as sophisticated a defensive maneuver as the Grosvenor Gambit in the robots' arsenal; and hats off to the Souths who refused to be taken in.

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-19, 11:50

Well played, but you're not playing against a human. GIB would never think "I can't lead a diamond or S will infer something from west's non-ruff", since GIB thinks all four of you can see all hands, it's just the way it's programmed.
I'm not sure why GIB E didn't give W a ruff, though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users